"Open-circuit and finning are for peasants"

Who would want to purchase one of these t-shirts?

• Yes

Votes: 12 24.0%
  • No

Votes: 38 76.0%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

"OC and finning are for vacation divers"
or is that worse than "peasants"?

Is more complex gear or making it easier on yourself something to be proud of? Maybe, maybe not. I'm imagining a freediver wearing a shirt advertising disdain for scuba gear of any type. To some, less is more, and the reward is in the effort.

Is more complex gear or making it easier on yourself something to be proud of? Maybe, maybe not. I'm imagining a freediver wearing a shirt advertising disdain for scuba gear of any type. To some, less is more, and the reward is in the effort.
That’s actually very true. I put on a dive campout and party once and there was a group of freedivers who were invited. Half didn’t attend because they heard there were going to be scuba divers there.

That’s actually very true. I put on a dive campout and party once and there was a group of freedivers who were invited. Half didn’t attend because they heard there were going to be scuba divers there.
I don't freedive, and I admit I sometimes makes fun of freedivers--in a good-natured way, I think, and not to their face. But this thread reminds me it can cut both ways. As individuals we all have our preferred way of experiencing the underwater world, whether it's CCR/DPV, OC tech, minimalist rec OC (like, I dunno, a Freedom Plate), or no scuba gear at all.

I'm torn when it comes to technology, in diving and otherwise. I started out life in a very high-tech career, but as I get older I am increasingly drawn to the beauty of simplicity.

6xmb45.jpg

I’m quite comfortable just being a total scuba scumbag lowlife who dives wet in freezing cold water on OC, a single tank which most are old and very old gear that is kept to an absolute minimum as far as trinkets. Minimalists such as myself are the biggest scuba dirtbags and I’m very proud to be one.
One comment I made earlier about freedivers which I’d like to add to: I have met more freedivers that where completely intolerant of scuba divers, but I’ve never really met a scuba divers that had the same level of contempt for freedivers, none really.
Freedivers can tend to get really elitist sometimes.
So a guy like me is right in the middle, hated by freedivers because I hunt on scuba in “their territory”, and tech divers/CCR divers hate me because I’m a peasant scumbag OC single steel tank diver using 50 yo gear and a wetsuit and commit so many DIR felonies that I deserve a life sentence.

But I’m OK with all of it.

I’m quite comfortable just being a total scuba scumbag lowlife who dives wet in freezing cold water on OC, a single tank which most are old and very old gear that is kept to an absolute minimum as far as trinkets. Minimalists such as myself are the biggest scuba dirtbags and I’m very proud to be one.
One comment I made earlier about freedivers which I’d like to add to: I have met more freedivers that where completely intolerant of scuba divers, but I’ve never really met a scuba divers that had the same level of contempt for freedivers, none really.
Freedivers can tend to get really elitist sometimes.
So a guy like me is right in the middle, hated by freedivers because I hunt on scuba in “their territory”, and tech divers/CCR divers hate me because I’m a peasant scumbag OC single steel tank diver using 50 yo gear and a wetsuit and commit so many DIR felonies that I deserve a life sentence.

But I’m OK with all of it.
Oh Eric, I'd dive with you. In fact, I've notice the old timers sip gas so slowly, that they might give me a run for my money in my rebreather. I'd probably start to get cold before you ran low and needed to end the dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom