OOA + Gear Failure in Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The wife and I do the same as Deltawardog, I spin she checks for leaks, She does same, I pass her my primary, we buddy breathe 2 passes, then we breathe off of each others Octo's. We closely monitor each others gas, I have on several occasions used her gas to even us up but our rule is never below 1000 psi (unless in emergency in which case we are always heading up, this has never happened.)

While I see a lot of mistakes here the one that bugs me is that the regulators had just been serviced and appear to have been reassembled wrong. True they should have done an in water check but it really annoys me when you pay good money to have a job done and the totally screw the pooch. It really annoys me that I can't buy parts and service my own gear because I am to stupid to change a few preformed packings.

Regarding the germs, it sounds like some of you mioght have an objection to practicing buddy-breathing.

Well, next time I am diving with you and you have an OOA, I will keep your virus concerns in mind and be sure to prevent you from picking up any viruses from my octo - as it will be kept well beyond your reach...

Thanks! Now I can tell my wife that I really do need a pony bottle! :D

Regarding the germs, it sounds like some of you mioght have an objection to practicing buddy-breathing.

It depends on the buddy...

I don't mean to make too big a deal out of the germ thing. It's just a point that might deserve a little thought.

Passing a regulator back and forth under water is probably okay because the saliva gets washed (sort of) between passes. On the other hand, taking a hit off a reg that some stranger has just had in his or her mouth while on the boat -- well, maybe that's a good idea. Maybe not.

Just sayin'...

On the other hand, taking a hit off a reg that some stranger has just had in his or her mouth while on the boat -- well, maybe that's a good idea. Maybe not.
But, I'm sure that if she was just an absolute hottie and highly flirtatious, then it would be OK.....

These days, I might be reluctant to breathe off an insta-buddy's octo --

Well that would obviously depend on how cute they were..... :wink:

R..

If an octo will purge air, it will deliver air (you just may have to free flow it to get it). And, while it is funny the uproar it created, I am sorry I wrote my last post from work because it was a partial post....but seems to have sparked quite the discussion. The beauty of an internet forum.

But, I'm sure that if she was just an absolute hottie and highly flirtatious, then it would be OK.....

Naw. I'm married to an absolute hottie who is better than what I deserve. Think I'll leave the flirting to others...

... especially since she is my usual dive buddy and I might need her to share air/germs with me some time.

More seriously, I don't mean to make too much of the germ thing, and I don't mean to hijack the thread. After all, we are diving in water where fish are peeing and pooping all the time (not to mention the divers).

Can I take it back? :doh2:

Well it's been fun and yes, you can take it back wve - although you may wish to take back taking back. Damn it all gets confusing.
Yes, there are germs out there. I think that risk is low. And damn, this is an 'adventure sport'. Part of the attraction is the risk. Octo buddy check breathing might be a bad example, altho maybe not.

If you contract Hep B, you're probably the unlucky type that will avoid the virus but get hit by an anchor. So best to just enjoy or take up golf.

Scubasteve, I always read your posts avidly as you seem to tender good advice, but I do think that taking your basic standard as 'I can breathe it free flowing' at the least isn't great advice.

In my humble opinion. Capital H.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom