OOA + Gear Failure in Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That's easy.

Buddy breathing isn't popular because gas management isn't either. There's a really good chance that shortly after starting buddy breathing, there will now be two OOA divers.

If this happens to be at 130', you could easily find the whole group popping up like a whack-a-mole game.

Terry

Perhaps I am forgetting what this thread was about, but there is buddy breathing to get an OOA diver to the surface safely and there is buddy breathing to prolong a dive. Your scenario sounds like two divers trying to prolong a dive which would be a foolish move for someone that is not good with gas management. If it is buddy breathing to get an OOA diver to the surface safely, I think it is an important skill. While the chances of an octo not working are pretty slim, it is not beyond the realm of possibility. This would introduce two options.....bolt for the surface and attempt the C part of CESA OR buddy breathe. I choose buddy breathing personally.

Last edited:
These days, I might be reluctant to breathe off an insta-buddy's octo -- especially if s/he just finished breathing off of it. Seriously. There are viruses that can be passed that way

I know the thread has moved back on topic, so apologies for this...

But I hope you're not planning to do a Rescue course

Well, next time I am diving with you and you have an OOA, I will keep your virus concerns in mind and be sure to prevent you from picking up any viruses from my octo - as it will be kept well beyond your reach...

I'm with NudeDiver on this one. If you don't like my viruses, you don't get to breathe my air. Seems very 21st bull***** century over caution. FFS, it's a regulator. I'm sorry, I hate this 'disease-lurking-around-every-corner' attitude.

Get real.

I really don't agree with you all on this at all. As long as you see your insta buddy breath the reg, and the purge valve is another way to make sure it's working. Why risk picking up something like herpes...or even a cold/flu could ruin a two week dive trip?? If you run out of air and are going to die...Herpes and the flu become more tolerable. Why risk picking something up by testing something on the surface you have already seen someone test?? Guess what, it is the 21st century and diseases are lurking around every corner...

Results of a nationally representative study show that genital herpes infection is common in the United States. Nationwide, at least 45 million people ages 12 and older, or one out of five adolescents and adults, have had genital HSV infection.

I'm sure your non-diving wife would just love it if you brought her home herpes because you insisted on breathing off an insta-buddy's octo.

.....I'm sure your non-diving wife would just love it if you brought her home herpes because you insisted on breathing off an insta-buddy's octo.

I can see it now:

MERRY CHRISTMAS HONEY!!! HAVE SOME HERPES!!! :cuddles:

Return air pressure to low, octo not working, diver panics and bolts to the surface. Sounds like so much went so wrong on so many levels.

IMO

Basic open water skills, Check your gear , pre dive safety check should be number 1 ALWAYS. Now the octo could have worked at the time of the pre dive check, and not later, thats a possibility. Many may disagree but, at 96 feet you should at least hit the shot line on your return with double what they were returning with, if he had done this, even though he may have not monitored his gauges, his chances of coming back with more than 300 psi is larger. People laughed and chastised me when I asked in another post about a stage bottle at 15-20 feet. had that been in place here, the diver would have had air, would have likely not panic and would have been able to complete the saftey stop. Unreal how people can be reckless, unprepared unaware. No matter how many times I hear of these situations I can't help but think maybe someone needs to go back and take the course again. Then again some people just don't get it.

Results of a nationally representative study show that genital herpes infection is common in the United States. Nationwide, at least 45 million people ages 12 and older, or one out of five adolescents and adults, have had genital HSV infection

You won't get genital herpes from breathing someone else's reg

You won't get genital herpes from breathing someone else's reg

No but you can get oral herpes and then if you do a little activity with your partner that requires the mouth you can spread it.

Plus I'd rather not have oral herpes anyway.

I think Em's point (correct me if I am wrong Em) is that part of the pre dive check can include an octo purge and an octo breathe (of your own) with your buddy watching and you will have the same result as if you did it yourself. And if you cannot trust your buddy to know if it breathes properly, you really need to ask if you want to be diving with them. This can be done on the shore/boat and again in the water if one wants to make sure there is not a flipped diaphragm which will allow it to breathe but will also allow water in.

Eh, we're way off topic now I guess

DivingPrincessE:

Oral herpes is a cold sore, many people have had them

I'm happy to say I haven't gotten or received genital herpes

So, let's not donate air to our buddies or give CPR to anyone?

Like I said earlier, please don't do Rescue, and I'll add to that now don't be my buddy either, thanks

You miss the point ... why do you need to breath their reg to satisfy that it's working ?
I check mine before every dive, and my buddy does too .. I don't feel the need to check his check

I've done rescue, while we checked our equipment throughly, we didn't check others regs by breathing off them then ether

Back
Top Bottom