OOA + Gear Failure in Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks I needed a story like that... Sometimes I consider buying insurance and resuming work as a dive master.. I'm good for at least 2 more years before that crazy idea crosses my mind again.:D:D

This is probably additional baby-sitting, but one of the ops I use in Coz asks that divers advise when they hit 1500 psi and 700. By knowing what everyone's breathing rates are like at 1500, he knows who is going to need to ascend first...and then can keep an eye on them. I know that it's not his responsibility but that of the diver. Nonetheless, this early check can help newbies.

A good knowledge of gas management comes with experience. While this may be an over-reliance on technology, an AI computer can help even the most clueless in this regard.

And finally as others have said - whatever happend to buddy breathing?

From what I've read, him running out of air is a planned event for this couple. Bad choice, but I have seen more than one couple who play this game. Usually, when I weed that out of them, I make sure that a dm or myself are with them and We Make them ascend properly. When they get to the surface and complain, I then point out the glaring flaws in that plan and make it understood that that is Not acceptable anywhere.

And those types never seem to account for possible problems. Like faulty regs. And these are the ones who wouldn't properly check their equipment.
Arrogance + poor planning = time bomb for accident

This is probably additional baby-sitting, but one of the ops I use in Coz asks that divers advise when they hit 1500 psi and 700.
I guess, "I have no idea, I am using bars" is not an acceptable answer?

Last edited:
I think actually at the time they alerted the DM and left the group was probably around 65 feet. It was after the deeper part of the dive where we did a swim through that began at 96 feet.

Devils Throat?

......While this may be an over-reliance on technology, an AI computer can help even the most clueless in this regard........

An Air Integrated dive computer will do nothing to help people like this. Air Integrated computers have a major flaw to them.......you need to look at them to know how much air you have. If these people were at depth with 300psi, they were not looking. Damn computers!!! And the audible notifications can not always be counted on to warn you so that is not the solution either.

A nice bumpy Chamber Ride will likely fix them.....or maybe not.

I guess, "I have no idea, I am using bars" is not an acceptable answer?
1500 psi ='s half a tank. 103.5 bar ='s half a tank.

Devils Throat?

As I recall, we popped out of the throat at 130'.

Okay. Let's say you're at 96' and look at your spg and have 300psi. Oops. you say, guess I got distracted looking at all those pretty fish. Right then, at 96' is the time to go onto your buddy's gas. That way, if his reg fails or something, you can pop your own reg back in and go over and get some from the DM, or make a controlled ascent on your own gas. The point is to leave that 300psi in your tank should you need it, not breath it to zero.

Sharing gas with your buddy should be so easy and practiced that it is a non-event. And if I find myself suddenly low on gas, I won't wait until I'm totally out to share.

I think we're all in agreement here. Why nobody knows how to buddy breathe anymore is beyond me. I started diving before there even were octos so we ALL learned how to buddy breathe. It's so easy. I don't even think anything about it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom