OOA Buddy starts to drag you up by your octo - What would you do?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Soggy:
I can't bring myself to put people on ignore...it's too much entertainment to miss out on.
ditto

H2Andy, frankly Scarlett, I don't give a d---. name calling is always the last refuge of the weaker argument.

These messages are read by thousands of people who never join in on these threads or who just pass through on their journay--I post for them--not for you--so thye know there is another way.

Your buddy cannot make a run for the surface if your in control. If you keep him close where you can control his BC, if you donate him your octapus so you are not loaded with yet another task in an already stressful condition, if you make eye contact and provide assurance, if you can buddy breath should there be a double failure, if you stay calm. This has been the standard protocal for decades. Donate the octapus, keep the OOA diver close so that you can take charge and this works just fine with the inflator type Air II octapus rigs as well.

N, the truth is out there

Deleted

Nemrod:
H2Andy, frankly Scarlett, I don't give a d---. name calling is always the last refuge of the weaker argument.
<snort cough> My nose hurts with that coke going through it.

Nemrod:

:11:

holy cow i think i just slipped into an alternate universe

Nemrod:
Giving the OOA diver YOUR regulator (primary) is another falacy being promoted in the dive community these days and mostly only here on scubaDIRboard.com. Again, from life saving protocal, why endanger two lives? Hand the OOA diver your alternate or your pony but NOT the regulator in your mouth. Should it turn out that your alternate is non functional (why would that be?) then that is when you should know how to buddy breath. All these drills I keep hearing about with all these hoses and donating your primary, how many include buddy breathing drills?

N, there is a right way but it ain't that way

In your attempt to make everything about DIR, you overlook another fairly large group of divers who donate their primary - thost that use some type of secondary integrated in to their inflator.
Having a reg out of your mouth for a few seconds does not equal endangering your life.
Buddy breathing requires 2 very calm divers, and is not going to work with one diver panicing. So if you already have 2 calm divers, nothing wrong with donating the primary and ascending. Buddy breathing would be the least enjoyable way to surface, and probably more likely to cause panic.

What was the OP's question???:wink:

Solutions are simple from the comfort of a keyboard ... but in the real world, the answer is "it depends on the circumstances".

On a shallow ascent, I'm "riding" the ascending buddy to the surface, taking whatever steps I can to slow us down on the way.

On a deeper ascent, I'm going to have more time to try getting the situation under control. Those who think you can simply "take control" have probably never dealt with a panicked diver before ... it's not always possible, and never easy.

If I haven't been able to control this diver and situation by the time we get within 20 feet of the surface, I'm taking whatever steps are necessary to disengage and allow the diver to surface unassisted. First rule of rescue ... don't allow yourself to become a second victim. Make your ascent as safely and expeditiously as you can, and get to the surface in shape to be of some assistance if it's needed.

In this latter scenario, I'd do everything I could to get my reg away from the diver and get theirs back in their mouth before disengaging ... hopefully it'd be enough to remind them not to hold their breath.

FWIW - I've had to deal with this scenario in real life ... except that the diver was LOA rather than OOA. He pulled me from 90 feet to about 55 feet before I could manage to get his inflator hose out of his hand and start to vent. By then it's a losing battle and all you can do is slow him down ... you WILL be going to the surface as the air is expanding faster than you can dump it (especially if said diver's in a drysuit). I would guess that the ascent time from 90 feet to 20 feet (where I managed to disengage) was about 10 seconds ... but I was a little busy to be trying to time it.

Nemrod's remarks to the contrary ... having a 7-foot hose offers no impediment whatsoever in situations like this. In fact, depending on circumstances it can offer you more options. If your diver is calm, you have the option to offer him or her a degree of control over the ascent. If they are not, you still have the ability to maintain close contact, just as you would with a standard setup. I'm not suggesting it's a better or worse alternative ... that argument's been beaten to death ... but even bringing it up in this context is a total red herring.

(Edit - and anybody who thinks that buddy breathing with a panicked diver is a good idea has obviously never had to deal with one) ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Actually Bob, a 15' hose might be better in this situation so you can still do a safety stop when they are on the surface...:wink:

Diver Dennis:
Actually Bob, a 15' hose might be better in this situation so you can still do a safety stop when they are on the surface...:wink:
Yeah, but hose routing might be problematic ... :11:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Back
Top Bottom