Only snorkeling - best place?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wingy: I originally wanted to go to Pulau Weh (I assume you mean the one outside Aceh?) but I just can't handle the increasing use of public lashings etc. I try not to be too political when I travel but I'd probably get myself arrested in Banda Aceh...... anyway!

I'll check the Gili's page, thanks!!

I am looking at Perhentians as well, but have seen reports it's become full of rubbish, lots of broken corals, poor accommodation for the price and lots and lots of people, so you'll see more humans than fish in the water ??
Looking at Redang, as it says they have baby reef sharks, and two smaller islands which are in the same area but I can't remember their names now....

To be honest I am completely overwhelmed (+ leave in two weeks and am in the middle of exams!) as my plans of diving isn't happening, so I have to figure out other things.

Really appreciate all the advice!

Gillis has enough variety in accomm, parties, beaches etc and snorkelling was good when I was there. Even off trawangan, and gilli air was better. Tons of turtles, bump head parrotfish schools also. Sipidan I have only dived but for sure the snorkelling must be immense. But permit limited and higher cost for sure. Snorkelling around tioman Island in Malaysia is good near salang, turtles also , as is redang and they do have plenty of baby black tips. Nusa lembongan off Bali has good snorkelling and I believe you can arrange to snorkel with the mantas sea permitting but turtles are few and far between. Perhentians I haven't been for years but was only so so when I went. For variety cheapness and easy access gillis would be a good choice. Bunaken is nice but gets bit samey and I dived there for a week and saw nothing big really except turtles. And costs more to get to.

Yes Dreamer - Aceh. I noticed from your profile you are female - I also have some moral issues with the morality police in Aceh and managed to stay out of trouble other than a woman spitting at me because my sleeve slipped and exposed a tiny fraction of my shoulder! Other than that incident once you are on Weh no dramas at all. I think with the crowds on the Perhentians a lot depends on timing - weekends tend to be flooded lately from recent reports from friends heading over there. Yes theres rubbish but ever seen the morning washup trash on Bunaken? ditto Bali. Another way off the beaten path option is west Sumatra from Padang a small private island called Cubadak.....but you will find no nightlife there.

Gili's are far from rubbish and tourist free too, but given your time limitations and backpacker style I would still take a look there. Redang - unsure of the current state of affairs but this 2010 article translation has me a little concerned

The state government (Terrenganu) plans to force only accommodation of $500 USD per night on the popular diving island Redang.

Existing budget, mid-rate, and expensive (in Malaysia $100+ is higher rate) accommodation will be forced to upgrade or shut down.

The state government is justifying this action on environmental grounds saying that the budget accommodation discharge sewage directly into the sea, and that it is the cause of littering.

I checked our stats and noticed a real decline in blogs from Redang after this - the last blog published was a couple of years ago..seems Redang has a similar problem to the Perhentians as far as overcrowding goes

https://www.travelblog.org/Asia/Malaysia/Wilayah-Persekutuan/Kuala-Lumpur/blog-746213.html

https://www.travelblog.org/Asia/Malaysia/Terengganu/Pulau-Redang/blog-408431.html

Be nice if it still looks like the pics in the second blog! Wishing you the best in finding your place to go.

I too have real problems with the laws in Aceh. There have been issues on Palau Weh/Sabang this year. If I were female traveling there alone...well...I wouldn't. Nor would I leave my money in that part of the world.

Thanks everyone!

I'm all confused about where to go, but thinking Perhentians, Gilis or Koh Tao & Phangan (where I've been before). All those places seem farily easy to get to and have accommodation that I can afford. Although it seems difficult to find accommodation on Gilis, maybe I can just show up. :) :snorkel:

As a freediver, I would consider Bali (Amed) and a fast boat to the Gillis. The Gillis have lots of turtles, but the hard corals are not in great shape. Amed and the nearby Liberty and Japanese Wrecks offer wonderful freediving. You can just show up and find a nice place in either location. The setting, the vib and visibility at Tioman and Redang are not nearly as nice as Bali and the Gillis (G .Air). Have fun.

I too had trouble getting accommodation in the Gillis before hand. Most people didn't write me back. It was easy enough just to show up and find a place though. I did this there and Lembongan. I was there in April-May. What time of year are you going? If in high season it may be more difficult. Maybe try to book a place before hand, show up and see if you can do better by walking around and asking. Gilis are a boom town and every where you look there are new bungalows being built many without names or an internet presence.
As for the snorkeling, I found the snorkeling there to be pretty good. Probably the best out of Bali/Lembongan/Gili areas.

Lembongan looked promising but it was sooooo busy there with boats zooming in and out that it really was hard to snorkel there. I haven't been to the other places you were asking about so I can't compare them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom