Only get one chance to start this fascinating sport....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Trixter

Registered
Reaction score
...so I want to start right the first time.

So, my question is...What is fastest way that I can get to closed circuit rebreather? I have been doing all sorts of reading and really have discovered that PADI is not the way that I want to go.

I wanna go technical and I wanna go deep. I also do not want to go open circuit at all.(but I may have to get at least the OW and AOW)

I am an absolute fanatic about the steam machines rig. It is so well built, how can anyone not want one?

Respectfully,
Trixter

Are you a troll ?

Your post sounds like you have not even got your OW ticket yet ?

Before you even think about CCR you want at least a couple of hundred OC dives in all conditions

CCR's are a very lethal weapons if you don't treat em right you are going to die simple as that.

Suggested reading

Hi Chris,

My first thought was it is the most stupid Troll I've ever heard. You'd atleast say you were a padi DM. Maybe it's a genuine question. Funny as though. :D

Cheers

Dave

I've read that there might be some advantage in learning todive a rebreather without learning the bad habits of OC. Didn't one of the office staff at APD learn on CC?

There have been instances of people learning to dive directly on SC (in Germany for the purposes of a Tauchen magazine feature), but I can't recollect anybody learning - officially - straight on CC (at least not in the civilian sports diving sector). I'm not aware of the APD example, but I'd be very surprised if this were true. Most introductory CC training standards require Advanced Nitrox or similar and a minimum number of dives, usually in the order of at least 50-70.

With all due respect, it's difficult to believe Trixter is not a troll, especially with the Steam Machines comment (well the PADI comment as well ... uh, actually most comments).

For the truly inquisitive, though, there was a great (serious) thread along these lines - i.e. when to go CC - on the DiveOz forum a while back.

fins wake once bubbled...
With all due respect, it's difficult to believe Trixter is not a troll, especially with the Steam Machines comment (well the PADI comment as well ... uh, actually most comments).

I think the screen name is a dead giveaway.

I don't see why OC is a requirement for a RB. Surely with the right training straight to a CCR is possible... I just seriously doubt there are any courses anywhere like that.

fins wake once bubbled...

Hello,

I find nothing wrong with the prism comment, it IS a well built, designed and tested machine. Pete really knows his material when it comes to this area. At least he's not wanting to use some of the death traps that's out there.

However I must add I do find the subject questionable.

Ed

I've read that there might be some advantage in learning todive a rebreather without learning the bad habits of OC

I don't mean to be offensive but that's just rubbish. It was thrown out as an off hand comment many years ago and has been repeated so many times on the internet it's ridiculous.

CCR's are for experienced divers only.

Cheers

Dave

Hello once again....

Just so everyone knows....I am not a troll....in fact the comment is a lot insulting. I made the comments to find out what sorts of people are on this board. Some of the comments are proof positive that some people are more concerned with putting someone and something, down than perhaps offering advice to the contrary.

Or course CCR's demand the utmost respect. Of course they are serious tools for serious divers. CCR demands the strictest discipline of any diver who chooses to use one.

However; it has been noted by some very distinguished sources that all the OC experience in the world offers NO advantage when training to use a CCR. A comprehensive knowledge of gas physics and dive physiology is perhaps more important as noted below.

"On the other hand, a good working knowledge of gas physics and diving physiology is probably more important for rebreather diving than for open-circuit mixed gas diving. Well-designed closed-circuit rebreathers will provide users with many ways to control the gas mixture in the breathing loop, and divers must have an intuitive understanding of the effects their actions (gas additions, loop-purges, depth changes, etc.) will have on their breathing gas and decompression status. With the additional control a diver has over the inspired breathing mixture in a closed-circuit rebreather, comes the need for greater discipline and understanding of the dynamics involved."(Richard L. Pyle. IANTD http://www.iantd.com/rebreather/lgrb.html)

The above quote from their website illustrates my point very well no?

Oh, and one more thing to the people who slammed me. Ask some questions before you post snide comments like that. The Steam Machines CCR is a well made piece of gear, and PADI is in business to make money. How can anyone say otherwise? Calling me a troll....whatever.

Respectfully Submitted,
Trixter

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom