Online Nitrox and SDA??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You mean knowing. My point is that what is needed is understanding but that is rarely provided, and doesn't seem to be here.
No, I meant exactly what I said.

Well you're wrong then. Unless you have an unusual idea of what "understand" means.

Again, I'll chime in. No one can truly give an objective opinion about the quality of SDA unless you have taken the course AND taken a more respected course such as PADI. Sure, we can give opinions but not really objective ones. FFDiver seems to be the only one to have taken both. Therefore, if he says it's sufficient, can we really dispute that?

What doesn't change is the fact that they list shops that accept their cert that have never even heard of them (dishonest practice) and the reality that having their card will likely not allow you to dive nitrox. So, is the training sufficient? Apparently. Does that mean divers seeking nitrox cert should go through them? Not if they really want to dive Nitrox!!
OK, I'll say it. I have reviewed their workbook and their course is not, in my opinion, adequate. As one of the first generation of NITROX users/advocates, and editor of aquaCorps, one who is quoted by Gilliam in his books and by Hamilton in his papers and talks, I think I have the credentials to say that.

This TDI nitrox course online is $110: SDI NITROX On Line Class

This SDI nitrox course online is $149: Scuba Equipment Tank Fills

The only catch with both, is you have to go to the shop to take a test, and do the hands on testing of gas.
\

The second link in this post brings you to American dive center, which offers a TDI nitrox diver card, which everybody said was ok.

http://www.americandivecenter.com/ni...ine/c_n2o2.pdf

this link for the "workbook" is from American Dive center for the TDI nitrox diver course. NOT the SDA course. If you find the workbook no good, it has nothing to do with the SDA course it is from the TDI course. So check your facts.

\

The second link in this post brings you to American dive center, which offers a TDI nitrox diver card, which everybody said was ok.

http://www.americandivecenter.com/ni...ine/c_n2o2.pdf

this link for the "workbook" is from American Dive center for the TDI nitrox diver course. NOT the SDA course. If you find the workbook no good, it has nothing to do with the SDA course it is from the TDI course. So check your facts.

Are you talking to me or Thal? I am not discussing about SDA's workbook. Simply offering two online options. If Thal read the work book for SDI, then perhaps he is confusing the two discussion running parallel.

Sorry, fish, I meant it towards thal. SDA doesn't have a workbook, but someone earlier posted the pdf, and people took it as the workbook for SDA.

I was just pointing out that the link you provided was to a SDI and TDI courses. And the workbook was for the TDI class and Thal found it to be inadequate. But even so, the workbook is just meant to be supplemental. It shouldn't be the whole course. SDA was much more in depth then the workbook.

Apparently SDI has an online option for completing their nitrox class. If you did a search of SDI and online nitrox, a whole mess of shops allow you to complete the practical session in their shop. Seems like it is the way to go. Hopefully PADI, SSI and others will follow.

... but if I was leading a dive and asked to see someone's cert and it was from one of the agencies I never heard of, who am I to judge?

The person responsible. Perhaps even liable. And you really want to take someone on a dive who presents you with a c-card you don't recognize?:no

I can't honestly say I know of all the agencies out there. I just heard of IAND back in march. Is it less credible then PADI since I haven't heard of them sooner.

If someone shows me a valid C-card, meaning not like written on a tissue or something, I have to accept it. The C-card shows that they have taken a class and have proven to someone more important then myself that they are certifiable. I would only be able to lead a dive that I am experinced to lead but I would take them. Thats why you get C-cards. And smaller agencies give them out too, not only PADI or NAUI.

The PDF that I read, the one with the 6 years of Nitrox experience, was, or was not, representative of the SDA course?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom