Online Nitrox and SDA??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

With the more expensive one you get a TDI cert not the SDI cert. The SDI nitrox is a computer nitrox course. They only cover how to use your computer with nitrox and not using tables and teach you the math involved with nitrox.

I would suggest we do a "scubaboard" online nitrox course. Then they'll just have to go to a local scubaboard member to take a proctored exam.

How's that for increasing funding for scubaboard?

Do you mean that with the SDI one you're just told how to read your computer, without understanding what it's doing? That's appalling.

Do you mean that with the SDI one you're just told how to read your computer, without understanding what it's doing? That's appalling.
Not really, for those that aren't interested in the underlying math simply understanding how their computer operates and how to correctly enter the mix information is sufficient. They also offer a more in depth class for those that want to do more advanced dives and/or understand the math.

Edit- And they do have to show up to learn how to analyze their mix.

Last edited:
With the more expensive one you get a TDI cert not the SDI cert. The SDI nitrox is a computer nitrox course. They only cover how to use your computer with nitrox and not using tables and teach you the math involved with nitrox.
While the TDI couse may well be more in depth, surely that's not true of SDI...?

BTW, I think you have the links by the wrong names...?
The $110 course, which is by the $149 name above, is free to take until you show up to do the exam and card - if you go to the store first to get the PW. Someone want to email them a request for the PW without the $25 fee and review it? Scuba Equipment Tank Fills Uh, I don't see an agency name there....? :confused:

This TDI nitrox course online is $110: SDI NITROX On Line Class

This SDI nitrox course online is $149: Scuba Equipment Tank Fills

It looks like the $149 course is SDI and you have the wrong link by it. SDI NITROX On Line Class

The American Dive Center course does not have an agency name, is $110 Scuba Equipment Tank Fills

So where did you see TDI here...???

Sorry Danny, I got the two mixed up. The SDI should've been TDI, and the TDI should have been SDI.

You can find the TDI mentioned when you read the description:

"The minimum age for enrollment is 15 years and you must be a certified diver with a minimum of 10 dives. However, no additional dives are required to complete this course.

Upon successful completion of the course, you will receive a Technical Diving International certification card. This level of certification will allow you to dive Nitrox the world over."

I can no longer edit my own post due to time, but a staff can switch the names around for me?

TC:
understanding how their computer operates
You mean knowing. My point is that what is needed is understanding but that is rarely provided, and doesn't seem to be here.

Why is it fine for an accepted agency to only teach you how to use your computer!? Shady buiesness aside, SDA provided a good class, yet SDI is better why, because of the name? The standards they teach to?

What makes one agency ok and the other not? Alot of people on this board are very quick to bash PADI and some of its buiesness practices, so does that make PADI a scam? SDI teaches you how to use your computer for $110, is that a scam or awesome marketing?

I don't want to bash any single agency, but you have to be fair to all, you can't just dismiss SDA becuase you never heard of them. On PADIs site I went on to see which agencies they recongnized and there were tons I never heard of. Are they any worse or better then anything else out there? I have no idea, but if I was leading a dive and asked to see someone's cert and it was from one of the agencies I never heard of, who am I to judge?

Again, I'll chime in. No one can truly give an objective opinion about the quality of SDA unless you have taken the course AND taken a more respected course such as PADI. Sure, we can give opinions but not really objective ones. FFDiver seems to be the only one to have taken both. Therefore, if he says it's sufficient, can we really dispute that?

What doesn't change is the fact that they list shops that accept their cert that have never even heard of them (dishonest practice) and the reality that having their card will likely not allow you to dive nitrox. So, is the training sufficient? Apparently. Does that mean divers seeking nitrox cert should go through them? Not if they really want to dive Nitrox!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom