Online Nitrox and SDA??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TC:
After attempting to understand your understanding of my use of the word understanding in my post on users understanding of the operation of nitrox computers I feel I now understand where the misunderstanding of the use of understanding may be occurring. Your understanding of my use of understanding appears to be a misunderstanding based on your understanding of my use of understanding. My understanding of my use of understanding in the post describing users understanding of the computer merely expressed my understanding the the user needed to understand how to operate the computer. If I understand your posts on my lack of understanding as shown by my use of understanding then you have misunderstood my understanding of the word understanding based on an understanding that the user requires a much deeper understanding than the lower level of understanding than I understood was needed in order to merely operate the computer properly. If I misunderstood your misunderstanding of my use of understanding then please elaborate on your understanding of my use of understanding so that I may understand your understanding without further misunderstanding.

:D

You know we know that you know. But I just don't know.:wink:

I would love to see a tank explode . . .

The PADI couse is a simple evening course in the dive shops around here. There is never a question of having a PADI card accepted.
I always check my fills...The funky chicken isn't cool at 100+ ft.

Again, I'll chime in. No one can truly give an objective opinion about the quality of SDA unless you have taken the course AND taken a more respected course such as PADI. Sure, we can give opinions but not really objective ones. FFDiver seems to be the only one to have taken both. Therefore, if he says it's sufficient, can we really dispute that?

What doesn't change is the fact that they list shops that accept their cert that have never even heard of them (dishonest practice) and the reality that having their card will likely not allow you to dive nitrox. So, is the training sufficient? Apparently. Does that mean divers seeking nitrox cert should go through them? Not if they really want to dive Nitrox!!

Agreed. I have an SDA card and I am finishing up the PADI EAD Specialty. The SDA course only goes over 32% and 36% nitrox, but the student MUST be able to use the tables and do some basic math. O2 tox is covered. SDA provides dive tables for nitrox on line. The PADI nitrox diver course is NO better than SDA. the PADI EAD course does cover more theory as well as calculation of EA's for mixes other than 32% and 36%. For the SDA course the student must be able to do some basic calculations. There is nothing wrong with the SDA course, as I have already stated, it is at least the equivalent of the basic PADI nitrox course.

It is too bad that SDA did not approach their marketing with more integrity. They could've created a good jumping board for a fresh idea in the scuba industry.

They could have linked up their online OW training with resorts, make everyone happy, and compete with big mighty PADI.

I would love to see a tank explode . . .
I rather doubt that. The only one I've been near took someone's leg off at the hip, and he was remarkably lucky to survive. And that was in the US.

This TDI nitrox course online is $110: SDI NITROX On Line Class

This SDI nitrox course online is $149: Scuba Equipment Tank Fills

The only catch with both, is you have to go to the shop to take a test, and do the hands on testing of gas.

I just did the SDI online Nitrox last week. Actually took test online. Just had to go to shop to analyze cylinder and go over the nitrox log. I went to a PADI shop with copy of my quizes and test scores. They accepted that and had me analyze cylinder and show how to figure MOD and cert me for PADI nitrox.

I rather doubt that. The only one I've been near took someone's leg off at the hip, and he was remarkably lucky to survive. And that was in the US.
Was that tank in hydrop Peter? I spoke with a Key Largo fellow once who described that happening to him. I'm sure it's a pain to pick up every tank, set it in the water tub to fill, then pull it out - and I have seldom seen that approached used, but it sounds safer.
I just did the SDI online Nitrox last week. Actually took test online. Just had to go to shop to analyze cylinder and go over the nitrox log. I went to a PADI shop with copy of my quizes and test scores. They accepted that and had me analyze cylinder and show how to figure MOD and cert me for PADI nitrox.
:thumb: Cool. It was said earlier of the SDI course "The SDI nitrox is a computer nitrox course. They only cover how to use your computer with nitrox and not using tables and teach you the math involved with nitrox." Was that true...?

:thumb: Cool. It was said earlier of the SDI course "The SDI nitrox is a computer nitrox course. They only cover how to use your computer with nitrox and not using tables and teach you the math involved with nitrox." Was that true...?

There was a shop in Bonaire that advertised the computer Nitrox course with no tables or math etc.... I think it was one day and $89. Just seen the sign on the sidewalk I didn't look into it any more than that.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom