Ongoing discussion of Ratio Deco

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

grazie42:
RDconservatism.jpg

There may still be mistakes in there :paranoid: , please let me know if you find any...
let's stretch the bottom time a little say to 40 min. still within ratio deco's Tech 1 limits acording to AG's paper.
We'll use 21/35 or 18/45(w/ean50 for deco).
As stated earlier in the thread and also by AG there should be no real difference.

___________ratio deco________D-plan(GF 80/35)_______21/35______18/45
Depth______21/35-18/45______21/35______18/45_____difference___difference

130fsw_______30min__________35min_____------______5min________-------

140fsw_______35min__________40min_____------______5min________-------

150fsw_______40min__________47min_____------______7min________-------

160fsw_______45min__________52min_____61min_______7min________16min

170fsw_______50min__________60min_____68min_______10min_______18min

So it's easy to see when you get further from the sweet spot ratio deco begins to really show it's inconsistency.

Especially when compared to the 18/45 profile of d-plan.
These are drastic differences when compared as percentages.

This is just one example but there are many others.
I encourage the ratio deco believers to spend some time doing the comparisons.

I will say once again ratio deco is a great tool but should not be used without caution as it is inconsistent outside of certain ranges.

Just a word of caution,
Milo

rjack321:
Hmmm, hadn't thought of making the stops logical! I guess if I'm bringing along a deco bottle I'd just as well do a dive worth using it.

30 mins at 120 on 21/35 with a deco of 15 (or even 20) mins is just plain weird.

I've done it. 21/35, 35 mins at 110-120, 15 mins on 50%
We got blown off another T1 dive we wanted to do and ended up at a shallower wreck.

Also done 25 mins at 100 in a similar way for the 3rd dive of the day (after the 120 wreck and a 150 first dive)

grazie42:
RDconservatism.jpg

There may still be mistakes in there :paranoid: , please let me know if you find any...

The 120 foot is incorrect I think.

Look at the ratio deco for 0-130 feet.
The deco is (BT-MDL) + MDL Ascent (if exceed MDL <20 mins), deco on backgas or 1/2 deco on O2 @ 20 feet + deep stops.

MDL at 130 is 5 mins. so it would be 30-5 = 25 mins deco on backgas using an exponential curve (so something like 12 mins at 20, 6 mins at 10, then 4,2,1 at 30,40,50)

Or 10 at 20 feet on O2, then something like 1,1,2 at 50,40,30 followed by a slow ascent.

So I think it's kind of hard to really compare that one to the deco s/w profiles.

limeyx:
I've done it. 21/35, 35 mins at 110-120, 15 mins on 50%
We got blown off another T1 dive we wanted to do and ended up at a shallower wreck.

Also done 25 mins at 100 in a similar way for the 3rd dive of the day (after the 120 wreck and a 150 first dive)

I've also done it.
Sometimes conditions choose the dive site.
Other times availiability of fills for second and third dives is the issue.

Milo

grazie42:
I agree with you that there is no "correct", it´s about best guesses and how much alteration you need to do to make those guesses work for you...

First off, for the shallow profiles in the tables, exposure is so limited that I think you could plan deco accoring to a winning lottery-ticket and still come out in reasonable shape.

yah, honestly for the kind of dives a lot of us are doing ("Tech1" - 150 +/- for 30 mins, 50% deco), pretty much any reasonable approach will "work" just some might work better than others, and/or offer other benefits*.

Other benefit include "we showed up at a wreck that was 30 feet shallower than the one we had planned on, so changed the depth and bottom time and deco plan in 2-3 mins, rather than having to either have tables already printed or fire up a laptop on a soaking wet boat and figure it out."

ScubaMilo:
let's stretch the bottom time a little say to 40 min. still within ratio deco's Tech 1 limits acording to AG's paper.
We'll use 21/35 or 18/45(w/ean50 for deco).
As stated earlier in the thread and also by AG there should be no real difference.

___________ratio deco________D-plan(GF 80/35)_______21/35______18/45
Depth______21/35-18/45______21/35______18/45_____difference___difference

130fsw_______30min__________35min_____------______5min________-------

140fsw_______35min__________40min_____------______5min________-------

150fsw_______40min__________47min_____------______7min________-------

160fsw_______45min__________52min_____61min_______7min________16min

170fsw_______50min__________60min_____68min_______10min_______18min

So it's easy to see when you get further from the sweet spot ratio deco begins to really show it's inconsistency.

Especially when compared to the 18/45 profile of d-plan.
These are drastic differences when compared as percentages.

This is just one example but there are many others.
I encourage the ratio deco believers to spend some time doing the comparisons.

I will say once again ratio deco is a great tool but should not be used without caution as it is inconsistent outside of certain ranges.

Just a word of caution,
Milo
This is inaccurate. While it may not be explicitly stated in the paper, the last two dives (also the ones furthest "off" ) are almost certainly two bottle dives (50% and 100%)

From my understanding, 50% only deco at those depths (150-160) is good to approx 30 mins deco. Any more, and you do the same deco time on 50% and 100% bottles (rather than take a bigger 50% bottle)

yet another reason not to learn do deco dive from a PDF :)

limeyx:
This is inaccurate. While it may not be explicitly stated in the paper, the last two dives (also the ones furthest "off" ) are almost certainly two bottle dives (50% and 100%)

From my understanding, 50% only deco at those depths (150-160) is good to approx 30 mins deco. Any more, and you do the same deco time on 50% and 100% bottles (rather than take a bigger 50% bottle)

yet another reason not to learn do deco dive from a PDF :)

I would agree with you in the fact that these should be 2 bottle dives but this is not inaccurate.
The values come directly from page 15 of the only known written text by AG on the subject of ratio deco.
So if it is wrong it's not me that's wrong.

Thanx,
Milo

ScubaMilo:
I would agree with you in the fact that these should be 2 bottle dives but this is not inaccurate.
The values come directly from page 15 of the only known written text by AG on the subject of ratio deco.
So if it is wrong it's not me that's wrong.

Thanx,
Milo

Yes, I think it is an error/limitation/omission from the document.
Not sure if/how it was covered in the Mini recently because I was unable to attend.
I also didnt run the 2 bottle numbers but I expect they should be considerably closer.

limeyx:
Yes, I think it is an error/limitation/omission from the document.
Not sure if/how it was covered in the Mini recently because I was unable to attend.
I also didnt run the 2 bottle numbers but I expect they should be considerably closer.

Your probably right I was just pointing out a fact.

This deco planning method should be used with caution and checked with another program such as d-plan or other software when performing dives outside of your comfort zone.

Milo

Phil K.:
This unfortunate statement from the author of this thread clearly shows how Meng-Tze has been poorly served by a supposedly DIR forum. The last thing that we should be doing here is giving the appearance of managing a diver's risk of DCS based on methods that amouint to "black magic" or rely on a "lucky shot." Wrong wrong wrong attitude.

RD has it's place in a dive planning protocol, but it's value is in it's utility, assuming a dive plan that falls within its constraints, i.e. it's ease of application, not in it's own independently proven scientific validity, because all the anecdotal evidence aside, it has no proven validitity except to the extent that under its constraints it approxoimates other algorithims that have been subjected to rigorous testing and peer review. If you attack the validity of all other algorithms, you also undermine RD's own validity. It is important to harmonize the best available DCS predictive tools, which aren't coming out of Monterey; but Durham, NC and a few other laboratories and universities around the world; and making prudent judgements based on the requirements of a proposed dive and the specific situation. RD cannot stand alone if all other approaches are relegated to junk science. Without that connection, there's little wonder that the average reasonable person would think of decompression planning as "black magic."

Buhlmann has "scientific validity" but no one wants to actually dive a profile that it spits out. Buhlmann bent people left and right and had to incorporate a cosmological hemilum constant, oi vey. Nobody's doing those profiles - not without extensive modification at least.

RD has no peer-reviewed "scientific validity" but generates profiles quite similar to those people actually want to dive. And it incorporates concepts that people know work but can't quite mathematically figure out. Deep stops and O2 windows for instance. Also people are diving profiles similar to RD profiles every day. 1000s of successful deco profiles. And they are way more similar in their totality than a Buhlmann or VPM profile.

So hold up one of your recent deco schedules Phil or Milo. What's it look like?

Here one of mine:
150ft depth, 21/35+50%, fresh water temp =43F, air temp ~40F
BT = 27 mins

10-8
20-6
30-3
40-2
50-2
60-3
70-3
80-1
90-1
100-1
110-0.5

Worked fine, no fatigue or other issues. Buhlmann says I should be bent like a prezel cause I didn't even start off-gassing according to him until 35ft or so. Yet I live on.

And this isn't the only one, I have dozens more in the 140-165ft range. I'm T1 so those are the limits of my experience. And really any plan is only as good as your experience with it.

As I said earlier, I would use decoplanner as a sanity check on a 70 min 100ft dive with O2 for deco. Why? Because: 1) I don't plan dives there very often and want to double check my math 2) I want to have a rough idea what my "bailout" is. That is if I have to blow off deco where does Buhlmann have me doing deco and why? 3) Since I have little experience on a dive like this I want to have every tool in my toolbox out for inspection. But no I'm not putting alot of faith in the decoplanner profile, nor really the total stop time since it will be missing pieces.

Personally, I do view deco science as black magic. Esp. since all the "scientifically valid" methods either bend and mend, don't work, make you feel horrible, etc. I'll take methods which get me out of the water feeling like 100 bucks over theoretical science every day.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom