One time someone asked me...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FIXXERVI6

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
if I had any cave dives planned for the home made rig I've been diving in the lakes, the answer was yes, and here is the report:

March 21 -
Jug hole with Kurt, dove the home made sidemounts with a stage and deco gas, the plan was to show Kurt the cave then go check out the only jump in the system on the way out. I made the jump and discovered that the jump line went about 20 or 30 feet before it pinched down to a very serious restriction. Checked my gas, was ok on gas, Kurt was hanging out and was good so I figured I'd test it. Started to wiggle in and was quickly stopped by my bladder and light. Backed out, took my light off, then took my bladder off. FORGOT to totally empty my bladder and had to catch it then hold it like a ballon so I could pull in down and empty it :). Turned on my mask light (love it by they way) then removed both cylinders and pushed them in front of me and, squeeze, no go. Exhale, push forward like another half inch and nothing. I back out and try it from a few different angles and the same story, I hit top and bottom and thats it. I got pissed, I kept telling myself I'm not too fat, I'm not too fat, I can't be this fat I know I can get in here :) Finally found the right spot and I wiggled in, if it was ANY smaller I wouldn't get in, I need to lay off the deco cookies. I pushed in to about my knees and at this point I knew I could keep going. It took me quite some time to get all my gear off and find a method to get in so I backed out and asked Kurt how he was on gas. He told me he was close to turn so I said I would go in just a little bit to check it out, ok - ok off I go. I wiggle back in with both tanks in front, I had to fight them as the flow wanted to push them up or to the side, I had to turn my head sideways to go in, yes, it really is that tight I am NOT exagerating I went in, not too far to what would be what I call the first "room" its not really a room, it just had a little more "room" :) I looked behind me and I could see that the passage behind was pretty stired up from the dim glow of kurts light in the hole, seeing as how we were close to turn I figured this was good enough for now. I went to back out and nadda, wouldn't go, had to go foward again into the "room" and managed to get turned around, the exit was easier as when my butt clogged the hole the flow assisted with my exit :p Put my gear back on and exited.

87 feet, 80 minutes

March 22nd -
This time Kurt said he was leading, I said alrighty and we were off, breathed a stage straight to the jump, this time I used drop weights so I didn't have to swim with full lungs this time. Kurt did a much better job getting in than I did (watched me thats why!!!). The idea was to leap frog it so we were not on top of each other just in case we had to back out, he'd go to the first room, when he was there I would get in the first tight spot, then he would leave the first "room" and then stop when he got to another good spot, when he was moving the vis was blown so I just sat waiting, when he quit moving the vis cleared, so I knew I could move forward. This time when I went in I kept my left cylinder on and just removed my right cylinder, much better entry, I got to the first room and waiting as the vis dropped to inches, I knew kurt was moving. I also clipped backup light to the line, and slid the the light down the line as I crawled foward as I wanted two lights in front of me, getting to my pockets in some spots would have been a bear, and having the light clipped off to the line allowed me to know where the line was when things went "brown" if I were to come off of it, I could see a brown glow a few inches off to my right :) After a few minutes the vis cleard and I started to move foward, real tight squeeze onto a bedding plane right there, had to turn my head sideways to get through and off I went. Came up on Kurt in another "room" with a T, I popped in, put my tank back on, Kurt was putting his back on too. Dropped a cookie then I went a couple feet to the right and saw that the line went down into a "rabbit hole" after a few feet, I thought super cool, went back to the T and Kurt was moving foward again. LOTS of clay down here but the cave was a little bigger, easily sidemounted at this point. The larger cave here made me want more light than my 2 watt LED's were giving me :) (when I say larger, it wasn't large by any means but I didn't have to turn my head sideways) Kurt hit the end of the line and it was pinching down again, turn pressure hit time to leave. On the way out there is not much to tell, as I stired it up the silt came with me which reduced visibility, then kurt was behind me and the stuff he stired up combined with my stuff, line exit all the way out, 0 vis right until the first hole. I got to the first hole, and my brain said ok just remove right cylinder and yoru good, I took it off and chucked it through the hole, then tried to exit and bonk, OOPS backed up took the left tank off then pushed through, I should have removed left cylinder, not right :p the nice bright glow of the 35 watt HID's we left behind was a warm welcome after using a 2 watt LED. The tight stuff is in the deepest part, problem is we can't pump some 108's to a cave fill and take them with us so gas logistics are getting interesting as we only are using 8lbs of lift and have serious restrictions to navigate, but we have some ideas to take care of that :)

92 feet 82 minutes

More to come, but the rig has proven its worth!

Great report! Sounds like a heck of a lot of fun!

:popcorn:

Update -

Kurt and I split up for the next dives, plan was for each of us to lay a cookie at the T so we knew when the other person was out, he was going to go tie onto the end of the line and push that out and I was going down the rabbit hole. I crawled over too it and started down in, I fit with my tanks on but couldn't bend up to get into the flat plane below so I backed out and noticed the large flat rock just above the hole moved, I wiggled it and it moved, I then looked and saw other rocks sitting there, they moved too. I was going to try to move them when I realized the one rock was holding the rest there. I decided not to press my luck and removed my cyilnders so I could enter the rabbit hole without distrubing those rocks. I easily entered the hole and right off took notice that this floor was quite different than the rest of the cave and I was in a "tube" a few feet accross and oh, 2 to 2.5 feet high roomy :) I noticed the rocks here were very thin, sharp, and sticking up virticly in the floor, something I've never seen before, I swam forward and came accross several fossils, one looked like a big tusk in very good shape!

Further down the line I noticed a hole to the left, I stopped to investigate, it went off from the left, back the direction I came, small it would require cylinder removal, figured I would continue to follow the line and see where it went, it was a nice tunnel. Further in the floor changed and became "lumpy" and spots started getting tight, some spots hurt like hell to squeeze my fat over cause they stuck up like knobs, not like the tight smooth bedding planes in the earlier restrictions. I looked forward and saw line wrapped and tied off to bolder in the tunnel, I then looked to the right of the bolder and thought I could probably squeeze by and maybe add line!!!! Before I could get to this boulder I had to get past a restrction, I removed my right cyilnder and dropped it into the "trough" and pushed it forward, I nice knob of rock rubbed down my left rib cage, lil sore now :) Once past that point I put my tank back on and swam to the rock, the line was indead tied off there so I checked out teh side of the rock and, more line!! I checked my pressure, 500 from turn but I was at 95 feet of depth with two aluminum 80's it was time to leave. I tried to turn, but there wasn't enough room, I tried then to do a "summer sault" but the cieling was too low. By this time vis was GREAT! I put my hand on the line and started to back out but the bottoms of my cylinders where hitting those knobs and it was a no go.

I moved forward again and removed both clyinders and wiggled backwards, it was slow going but I was able to exit the knobby are, by the time I got out of it it was pretty well blown. I put my leg on top of the line to hold it to the floor as I put my cyilnders back on then started to turn around, not alot of room so it was a stirrin it good getting turned around, at this point vis was just a warm glow from my mask light. On the way out I felt my crotch strap go down between my leggs and my hip webbing slide a bit as I pushed over knobs, it took me a minute to realize my harness had come undone. I hooked the line in the crook of my elbow and put it back on then continued on (I'm making gear modifications so this will no longer be an issue) when I got to the rabbit hole I had to figure out how to remove cylinders while staying on the line as it ran along the ceiling and up the hole, vis at this point was opening up to a half a foot or so but I didn't want to get away from it, I accomplished this by moving REALLY slow. Exited the hole up onto the bedding plane and the vis was still bad, probably from my buddy pushing a bedding plane further up. Looking back at the situation I blew it up bad by choosing to turn in a bad spot, I should have turned before the trough restriction or after the boulder restriction and not in between and it wouldn't have blown it would have just been dusty. Got back to the T and one cookie was gone, so I know Kurt was out or leaving. I picked up my cookie and started to exit, knowing this part of the cave I was able to easily get out quickly in the very low vis exit. As I got to the first "room" it was complete 0 but I knew it would open up on the other side of the restriction. Remvoed my left clyinder and my made exit cleanly, I cammed my legs into the restrition so I could hang and put my gear back on. I clipped all my stuff off to the line at the hole so it was easy to find, I did a quick look around and the vis was crap! I didn't see Kurt or see lights so I figured he was on his way out. As I was putting my gear on I heard regulators cracking, I looked around again and saw the faint glow of a light, it was Kurt I couldn't see him but I could hear him.

As we made our exit I was shocked at just how bad the system vis was, vis went from 100+ to 10 -15 or so feet! As we made our way to the exit the vis didn't improve at all (oops) Got to my main reel, pulled it. Even while were in deco the vis was not very good, by the time we finished deco the vis had improved to 25 feet or so, I was thinking holy crap!

Even from the surface the entire spring head was cloudy I couldn't beileve it. We went to get the gear cart, by the time we got back it had cleared out. and was looking good again. :D

90 minutes at 95 feet

Last edited:
Looking forward to seeing the map!

Yea pretty good trip, also that UK 40 on the mask became an invaluable tool while doing this.

Here is a picutre of what I have so far, I don't have a scanner at home

Attachments

• Jug Restriction.jpg
    Jug Restriction.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 55
Yeah I wont go into an overhead without a mask light anymore. It really makes light failures more of an inconvenience than something that can task load you etc... Not to mention the benefits you found in tight places!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom