One Step Closer to Philippine Shark Sanctuary

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rickthediver

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
Thanks to everyone that logged on to support the creation of the first shark sanctuary in the Philippines

We managed to get 3500 signatures which have been bound in a book to be handed to the Mayor of Puerto Galera. He has already said that he will support the sanctuary which will cover all of Puerto Galera waters..

We gathered support from 55 countries [last was from Reunion] ,people throughout the Philippines and the people of Puerto Galera. Thanks to the members of 505th Squadron Philippine Coast Guard Auxiliary for leading the way and getting most of the dive centers to support the initiative.

Our next step is drafting the new fisheries ordinance on June 11. After that of course the hard work of enforcement starts.

One good thing: The threshers are back on Kilima steps - last sighting was of a large 3.5m pelagic Thesher.

world map support.jpg

Excuse my ignorance, but what exactly is a Thresher Shark Sanctuary?
What action will be put in placed to ensure 'sanctuary' for the Threshers.
Also, while you're at it, send 505 squadron over to the Visyayas.
Over 8 weeks I heard dynamite fishing on 7-10% of my dives, and when there was dynamite it was several times during the dive, was very often loud and could be felt.
The local fisheries patrol do a fantastic job considering they were meant to be government funded but are now funded by divers, who pay both the fisheries patrol directly... and the government, who are meant to pay fisheries patrol but don't
This dynamite activity was at considerable distance from where I was diving. At my location, it was divers that are having and will have the most long term destructive effect upon Threshers, and Rays. There are some 'often non owner operated', uncaring, unscrupulous, lazy, incompetent, indifferent dive centres out there. Other dive centres however do seem to give a ****, but in a coastal community where they are the minority, and even fishermen cut the diver's mooring lines which are in place to prevent anchor damage and thus leave the fish an intact environment, i don't see much hope for change.

P.S. I am in no way suggesting that a shark sanctuary is doomed to failure and I did not intend to come across as unsupportive or critical. I champion anything that could potentially prolong the life and beauty within our oceans.

....People not eating fish might help.... but most 'ocean crusaders' will champion 'sustainability' instead, ha!, I scoff at that

The Sanctuary is for all sharks not just threshers

No catching of any species of sharks in PG waters
No selling of any shark product in PG- meat, fins, teeth, jaws, skin, shark oil

We'd like to start with a education program for fishermen and schools. Tourism plays such an important role in the local economy, that protecting species such as sharks has a financial benefit to everyone. Fishermen lose their catch, but their children and relatives working in the tourist industry [resort, restaurants, dive centers, gift shops etc...] get the benefit. Protecting sharks is only one step to protect the environment, but in our area they are the species most under threat.

We have the bantay dagat, the coast guard auxiliary and the 50 local dive centers to help enforce the rules. It would be naive to think that all sharks will be protected - but doing something has to be better than doing nothing at all, whcih is the case right now.

MrsBBC: where were you diving hearing the dynamite fishing?

Probably Gato Island not far from Malapascua which is hundred of miles from Mindoro.
I do not believe any law passed by the municipal of Puerto Galera has any juridication on Malapascua.

Dynamite was indeed heard around Malapascua, but ssshhh don't tell anyone, there is no dynamite fishing in those waters

great idea, and also btw I myself heard dynamite fishing off white beach, Puerta galera on ebry holiday vist there

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom