one-piece vs 2-piece

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

clarissa1

Registered
Reaction score
hi!

I'm in the process of buying my own wetsuit and really need some advise pls.

My major concern is WARMTH! I recently dived in Mozambique with a 5mm rental suit and still got cold!!

My local dive shop advised me to rather go for a 2 piece instead (5mm bottom with 7mm top). So I will basically have 12mm over my upper body. I have never really thought about a two-piece before and always thought that I'd just go for a 5mm with a chicken vest underneath.

Any suggestions on what would be the best choice and what would be the most comfortable. I get irritated very quickly if I'm uncomfortable and when I have to battle getting into the wetsuit.

how many people actually dive with 2-pieces??

Also I noticed that 2-pieces have different "cuts" for women...the bikini one and the "shortie" one....any opinions?? Thanks guys!

The 2 PC Farmer John and Jacket are quite common.

I'm of the fullsuit frame of mind just as you are. To me having one garment providing a single membrane is a good start. I have 3, 5 and 7mm wetsuits that I dive depending on conditions.

To those I add either a chicken vest or a hooded step in like this:
http://www.bare-wetsuits.com/bareshop/diveproduct.asp?dept_id=23010&pf_id=64427

Bare also has this item available in 5mm.

The chicken vest brings with it less bulk though either is fine once in the water.

As for the cut, it's all about coverage and gap closure. The more rubber and the more overlap between openings the less flushing will happen.

What sort of temperatures and depths are you gearing for?

Pete

You may want to look at O'Neill wetsuit J series. They come in a 3 and 7 mil version. They combine the farmer john benefits of added warth in your core, and are technically a 1 piece suit.

The only problem is they are a little expensive ~$400

Hope this helps.

Rob

I also prefer a 1 piece. A good 1 piece will keep you as warm as, if not warmer than a 2 piece. You do get layers with a 2 piece, but compression eliminates a lot of that. Most 2 pieces also don't provide as good of a seal around the neck (front zip) and allow more water flow, which = being colder. What I have done is layer a 3mm shorty over a 3mm full suit to create more insulation over the core.

I am also a big one piece fan. The neck seal is usually much bette than with a two piece and you get generally less flushing throughout the suit and that compensates for the reduced bulk over the torso.

Personally, with my 7mm one piece semi-dry, I use an O-neil 5mm chicken vest with a 7mm attached hood. It has a exposed rubber neck sectionh which mates with the exposed rubber inside the neck. It's very warm and seals very well.

BUT...the most important factor is fit. A good fitting suit will be warmer than a bad fitting suit regardless of suit style or quality. To much room in the arm/shoulder area in particular will pump water through the suit regardless of the quality of neck or wrist seals. And too tight a fit will reduce circulation and cause you to feel colder.

Hi clarissa1,

I have 2, 2piece wetsuits that I use when I know I be down for a while but I usually use a 1 piece as it's soooo much easier to don and doff.

May I know where you felt cold first when wearing the suit?

I know from experience that poor fitting suits tend to make things worse... I know from experience cus I can't easily get a good fitting suit cus I'm tall and skinny LOL and water tends to move through me like a sieve LOL!

Scubapro has outlets in South Africa but I don't see the models that I'm going to recommend availabe there.
1. Thermal TEC Steamer
http://www.scubapro.com/products/wets/wet_thermal_tec_steamer/wet_thermal_tec_steamer.asp
2. Barrier Steamer
http://www.scubapro.com/products/wets/wet_barrier_steamer/wet_barrier_steamer.asp

You might also consider investing in a good jacket with hood as this would double your protection in the torso region and protect your head which looses the most heat anyway.

SangP

It depends on what you are most comfortable in. You lose the majority of heat from your head, so hoods alway help keep you warm. Simple things like a good rash veat with a thermal coating, are thin, but can upgrade your wetsuit by 1mm or more. You can also get a lycra suit that you can wear under a wetsuit, again increases warmth, but keeps you flexible.

I spent 45 minutes in 54 deg water today with a 1 piece 7/5, with hood, of course. I could have stayed down another 45 minutes. I was that comfortable. Of course, I was also wearing a ffm.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom