one-piece vs 2-piece

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My family all have 2 pieces and wear hoods/beanies when in cold water. I have a 3/4 full suit and wear a jacket over it. Hubby and fam have johns and jackets. These jackets also serve as shorties in warmer water. Try on all different kinds and find what's most comfortable for you for the conditions you will be in. I'm not really qualified to give you water temp answers as I know nothing about the temps in S. Africa but can tell you lots about the temps in FL fresh and salt! Keep in mind that these suits fit women differently...at least that has been my experiences with them. And the size tags...lies...all terrible lies! Good luck with that.

I have a 7mm john w/ 7mm jacket I use in cold water (with separate bibbed hood).

I thought that there would be some flexibility with the combination (i.e. use one piece or the other in warmer water), however I have found that doesn’t really work.

First of all, water cold enough for the john is also cold enough for long sleeves, so I can’t wear the john by itself. In the same way, water cold enough for the long-sleeved jacket is cold enough to for long pant legs, so I can’t wear the jacket by itself.

Secondly, the leg openings on the jacket have to be a little oversized to fit over the 7mm john, so are too loose if I try to wear the jacket w/o the john.

When I replace this suit, I think I’ll go with a hooded one-piece and a core-warmer. I like the idea of the hooded one-piece because any water cold enough for a one-piece is cold enough for a hood. If the water is colder yet, I’ll wear the core-warmer.

Seems a lot of people wear a core-warmer or hooded vest over a one-piece, but that doesn’t make sense to me. If you have the shorty over the one-piece, you have a total of 9 places that water can exchange (neck, wrists, shoulders, ankles, thighs), whereas if you have the one-piece over the shorty, you have a total of 5 (neck, wrists, ankles). The other 4 openings (on the shorty) are inside the one-piece, and can only exchange with the water already contained in the one-piece. Does that make sense? Besides, having the one-piece on the outside will put pressure on the shorty openings, and help keep them from exchanging water in the first place.

Also, with the shorty underneath, you don’t have to have larger openings to fit over the one-piece (like the second problem I mentioned above)

Just my $.02.

Rental suits are typically quite worn out, with leaking seams, making even a 5mm feel like a skin suit. I have dove with a farmer John, it was warm but bulky. If you get frustrated easy with getting you suit on and off, go for a 1 piece full suit. If you were to get a 7mm full suit (new) I think you would be warm enough, and if not.... get a 7mm hood.

Back
Top Bottom