One more Whites Fusion review :)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hippocampus

Registered
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

after having followed this drysuit since it was announced I finally got one myself.

Mike from Dive Right In Scuba made me an offer I simply could not refuse, even though I wanted to wait until it was available in red.

I ordered the suit in the package with the MK1 undergarment, the Glacier footwear liners and the new Altera boots, on top of that I also ordered the new HEAT hood.

It comes complete with a nice carrying bag/backpack, zipper grease, inflator hose and manuals for the suit and valves.

The box:

2214357227_a34c2c9aee_b.jpg

And the contents of the bag:

2215152084_d3075a3326_b.jpg

After trimming the neck seal down one ring it felt comfortable and off we went to Alexander Springs, Florida.

The water temperature was 73F, air about the same.

Suit from the front:

2215155400_e6702f59aa_b.jpg

And from the back:

2214363957_d258f312bb_b.jpg

Altera boot:

2214360481_1311ac5dc7_b.jpg

I could however not use the MK1 undergarment because the john was missing from the package, the matter was taken care of quickly by Mike from Dive Right In Scuba and the missing piece is on it's way over from Canada already.

So, for this first dive I used polypro and cotton undergarments.

In the water the suit feels absolutely amazing.
I have only been drysuit diving once before in a Scubapro vulcanized rubber suit which
felt absolutely horrible in comparison to this one, it was heavy and restricted mobility, plus, I got horrible floaty legs in it.

Not so with the fusion!

From the moment I submerged I felt more like in a dive skin than in a drysuit.
The mobility is simply incredible for a drysuit and the streamlining is outstanding, especially on the legs, the lycra pulls everything together nicely.

I tested out what would happen if I go feet up and some of the air just migrated into the feet, but nowhere near where you would have to do a roll of any kind to get it back out and yourself upright.
For the first couple of minutes I was smiling underwater thinking how cool this is!

I have heard the comparison to the 3mm suit before, I'd say it is less than 3mm on the legs and arms but feels more cluttered on the torso of course because of all the valves and the extra hose, but still better than a 7mm in my opinion, the range of movement is alot better.

This being my first 'real' drysuit dive it took me some time in the beginning to get used to the air management, I ascended once involuntary but that was not a problem, I got it dialed in after a couple of minutes :).

You don't feel like being in a bag in this suit at all, it's more like having a second skin that keeps one nice and warm.

Speaking of nice and warm, I was for about 45 minutes, then I got cold but I'm very skinny and light (64",111lbs) plus, I was not wearing the proper undergarments.

Overall this suit is excellent and I could not imagine diving any other drysuit after that one.

A word on pockets, I, for myself do not feel the need for pockets at all, they just add unneccessary clutter for me.

The suit in it's natural habitat:

2214366693_eaf3df14f0_b.jpg

And another guy in his natural habitat:

2215158414_7865b51421_b.jpg

As I only have one dive on it, I can't really say much about durability, I scuffed some rocks here and there and can't find any tears, so that must be good :) but I can definitely see where you could go with that skin if you do heavy cave diving and the likes...

Thank you Whites for inventing such a great suit!

And thanks again to Mike from Dive Right In Scuba for his outstanding customer service and response time!

Hope this is helpful :)

Great writeup Ruben!!!! Glad you fell in love with the suit.....They are flying out the door!!!

Keep me posted as you dive it more, and I will let you know when they RED Skin is available :wink:

Mike

For clarification, it fits as well as a 3mm even in the torso, it's just that a 3mm would not have the additional 'bulk' ie valves and zipper there, after all you can not go without those anyway.

If I had the choice between a 3mm and the Fusion I would of course go with the 3mm, but that is a bit like comparing apples and oranges here, as both serve different purposes in my opinion, one does not need a drysuit where a 3mm is sufficient!

The 3mm remark is just there for mobility comparison, so most people can relate.

:)

Ruben

Everyone loves this thing. I'm definitely gonna stop by when the Whites truck is in town.

I was talking with a guy who was diving one of these and he has about 25 dives on it and it's leaking already. I will be interested to hear the more reports on the longevity of these suits.

I was talking with a guy who was diving one of these and he has about 25 dives on it and it's leaking already. I will be interested to hear the more reports on the longevity of these suits.

Did he say where or how it was leaking? Bad seal, seam, tear?

PM sent....

Great Review - your pic looks great ...

If anyone has any great pictures and you care to pass them along...I am currently working on a new Catalogue - maybe you'll end up in our new Catalogue!!

Until the next Dive,
Tyler

Back
Top Bottom