One more split fin theory put to rest

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NOAA banned split fins after two deaths in the antarctic...

I think Nemrod makes a great point when he says "There is more to this fin stuff than blade area or shape or split etc. .."

There are many differences from fin to fin besides whether or not they are split.

Size, stiffness, design.....

All split fins do not perform the same, just as all paddle fins don't.

I have several pair of each, and there is as much difference from fin to fin as there is from split to paddle.

Thomjinx

I have seen that study before and noted that there was a significant lack of control and that he did not maintain--test to test and year to year--the same controls. He also did not account for his obviously improving physical conditioning and perhaps improved kicking form. His conclusions also lack one obvious factor--he simply lacks the power to kick the larger Jet XLs to their fullest capacity. Just as when I did my tests it is hard to hold things constant--I tried counting cycles in my frog kick runs for example but once you go into a standard flutter kick it is hard to count cycles. I have also observed that some fins do better once they are up to speed--such as Force Fins.

N

I think Jim would be the first to agree that his study doesn't qualify as "rigorous" by scientific standards, even it is rigorous exercise - but I think there is some good information in his results, nonetheless. I've known him for many years and it isn't obvious to me that his physical condition has been improving, nor his form. He's not a mesomorph but he certainly has the strength and stamina to kick any fin to it's capacity and beyond.

In my experience, the Force fins are perhaps the most underrated fin out there. They seem to be an excellent blend of the split and blade fin worlds. I'm by no means a fashionista but it really is too bad the FF look so dang retarded - I just don't have the emotional stamina required to use the things. Quack. :D

I think Jim would be the first to agree that his study doesn't qualify as "rigorous" by scientific standards, even it is rigorous exercise - but I think there is some good information in his results, nonetheless. I've known him for many years and it isn't obvious to me that his physical condition has been improving, nor his form. He's not a mesomorph but he certainly has the strength and stamina to kick any fin to it's capacity and beyond.

In my experience, the Force fins are perhaps the most underrated fin out there. They seem to be an excellent blend of the split and blade fin worlds. I'm by no means a fashionista but it really is too bad the FF look so dang retarded - I just don't have the emotional stamina required to use the things. Quack. :D

No, the improvements in fitness and form won't be apparent--that is the point.

Ditto on the FF.

None of these fins swimming experiments will ever prove anything. They are not useless but you can only take them so far. We need a a VO2 max and CO2 etc and then pulse etc. It was also be nice to measure and compare the natural difference in form that some fins cause by their very nature. Trying to swim a FF like you would a Jet is impossible simply by the design of the fins.

N

I started off with standard jets went to quattros and then back to standard jets, tried force accelerators and then went back to standard jets, then upgraded to extra large jets, (not quite so stiff but a bit more power on the straight). Earlier this year I bought twin jet max fins. I think their the best fin I've ever used, but its a personal observation. I don't have a problem with control, dolphin and frog kick is okay, for outright speed their faster in flutter. I'd say all the people I know who have tried them, think they are an improvement over what they have been using.

Ok but for a complete newbie like me, should I start out my diving with regular fins or spend the extra $$ and get split fins?

Best off to try out some with a local lds. But even if you do get a fin that suits you, you'll begin to think something else may be better. You'll probably end up with a ring of fins like Nemrod, which is what I have. Split fins are easier to kick, but I've found once you get used to swimming w/ fins, the non-split work as good or better (better for me).

Propulsion/effort is important anyone who ventures into the underwater world, but when you only have a few minutes, I think you really begin to scrutinize the performance of your fins... When there is a popular split free diving fin available, that'll really speak to the merit of split fin technology. I'm not saying they that they don't have their place and utility, I just think that there has yet to be a design that demonstrates its superiority over paddles in more demanding dive conditions.

Back
Top Bottom