Trip Report Roatan Trip Report June 11 - June 18

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scratch_Monkey

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
My wife and I met some friends down in Roatan, Honduras this past week and had an excellent time. We love Roatan and try to go once or twice every year as it's an easy flight from Houston where we live.

This was our first trip back since 2019, however, because "you know why". From a Covid perspective, you are not required to wear masks on US planes or in the US airports, but you do need to wear a mask in the Roatan airport and you have to provide either a negative test or your actual vaccine card to enter the country. As of a week or so ago, you no longer had to provide a negative Covid test to re-enter the US so we were spared that expense. In addition, you are supposed to fill out a pre-immigration form and health declaration on-line which we did. But I can't tell if that was ever used or not. We still had to fill out paper immigration forms and health declarations so who knows?

We stayed and dove with Splash Inn in the West End and we love that place. It's not fancy but the people who run it are great, they tend to have the same people year after year, it's got a great free breakfast for divers, and, overall, represents a great value. Basically you live at the dive shop so the dives are just outside your door.

The rooms at Splash Inn are basic but clean and the shower had practically unlimited hot water. Breakfast (free if you dive) was a buffet consisting of fruit, coffee cake, eggs, tortillas, beans, pancakes, French toast, sausage, etc...

The dive shop provides you with a locker to store your equipment (either your equipment or the rental gear they provide you with). The dives are generally "out and back" as the reef is super close so you do your surface interval at the shop. Most of the dives are along the lower, west side of the island, basically in front of the West End, West Bay Beach, or maybe up to the El Aguila wreck. While I have been up to the Odyssey with this shop in the past, they don't go that often because of how far it is.

My wife is a very new diver. She got certified in 2019 but hadn't dove up until March when we did a short trip (six dives) to Belize. In addition, she got a new BCD and we asked the shop if she could get some "easy" time in the water to try and get her weight correct and make sure she was comfortable in the BCD. Sebastian, our DM, was so nice. He spent time with my wife to make sure she was comfortable descending and then spent some time on the sandy bottom helping her with her breathing and evaluating her trim and weight. He made continuous recommendations over the week to help her get dialed in. For example, he suggested that she try the shop fins because he felt her booties (at 6.5mm) were too buoyant. That helped so we went to the Cressi store and purchased some 3mm short booties so she could go back to using her regular fins. By the end of the trip she went from 12 pounds to 10 pounds and Sebastian suggested that she could possibly go as low as 8 once she got more experienced using her breathing to control her buoyancy. By the later dives she was able to maintain buoyancy at 15 feet consistently. I think she will be able to use the other booties as well (if she wants) when she gets more experience as they weren't that much more buoyant. But when you are new, everything helps.

As for the diving, it was pretty good! The visibility in general was okay. Not the best I've seen but not terrible. We saw quite a few turtles, eels (moray, and spotted), typical reef fish like triggers, angels, flounders, tangs, blennies, puffers, sting rays, eagle rays, barracuda, etc... For non-fish stuff, we saw corkscrew anemones with the accompanying blue cleaner shrimp and Arrow crabs, "hidden" anemones, lobsters, large crabs, flamingo tongue, etc...

The reef itself looked okay. Much better than the reef right off Ambergris Caye where we were in March. But it still faces the challenges that all reefs face these days, especially when they experience a lot of divers. I did see a lot of new coral and not much bleached coral so that was good. The soft coral looked really good and we saw large schools of fish and a lot of decent coral on our dive at the West End Wall.

We also dove the El Aguila wreck and that was fun. That wreck bottoms at about 110 feet and my wife and three others got their deep dive adventure cert in. One of the new divers got low on air really fast so we ended up only spending 30 minutes on that dive so we didn't get to see much of the nearby reef but what else are you going to do in that circumstance?

We did a night dive and my wife and I (and one other guy) were fortunate to see an octopus. The best part of the night dive was seeing the "string of pearls". They were just amazing. Basically you turn off all your lights until your eyes adjust and then these creatures that are basically a series of blinking lights (that look strung together like pearls) just appear around you. There are hundreds of them. It's like being in a planetarium. I was so happy my wife saw that! I was also happy that she was perfectly fine on her first night dive!

We were there for a week and we got about 15 dives in each.

We had a great time with our friends, enjoying the West End, and just diving. The weather was mostly good with a few showers here and there (mainly towards the end of the week). While my wife and I didn't really do much outside of dive, eat, and sleep, some of the other people down there saw the dolphins at Anthony's Key, went horseback riding, saw the monkeys and sloths, etc.... I can't wait to get back!

Thanks for the helpful report. I am glad to hear that you had a great trip and that you found the reef to be in good condition. I don’t dive with Splash Inn but I know a number of their dive pros. Really nice people and very competent. I hope that you will be back for more!

Great report - thanks for taking the time to write!
The dives are generally "out and back" as the reef is super close so you do your surface interval at the shop
Does this mean there is an opportunity for shore diving, i.e.does the Splash Inn have a house reef?

Edit: Just thought of another question. Does the Inn offer lunch and dinner, or did you have to go outside for those meals?

We’re in Roatan now. Filled in Precheq online with healthform. Nothing additional required.

Great report - thanks for taking the time to write!

Does this mean there is an opportunity for shore diving, i.e.does the Splash Inn have a house reef?

Edit: Just thought of another question. Does the Inn offer lunch and dinner, or did you have to go outside for those meals?

So Splash Inn does not offer shore diving. They are in the West End and there are too many boats going back and forth. Even the closest dive spot (Lighthouse) is still about a minute boat ride out. Still super close but you don't do it from shore.

I think there is a dive shop in a different part of the Island that does offer shore diving (Cocoview maybe?). You can look them up and see. Splash Inn does have a very small area just off their pier where they do their confined water courses. I've seen other dive shops use the beach at Half Moon Bay for that and I used the beach on West Bay Beach back when I got certified.

Splash Inn's restaurant does server lunch and dinner. It's pretty good and we ate there for a few meals but we also went out into the town for others. There are a lot of good restaurants in the West End.

We’re in Roatan now. Filled in Precheq online with healthform. Nothing additional required.
When we were in line for customs, a women came through the line to look at our vaccine cards (or, I presume, negative test results). We were never asked about the stuff we filled in online so maybe it was automatically brought up based on our passports when the customs agent looked it up?

When we were in line for customs, a women came through the line to look at our vaccine cards (or, I presume, negative test results). We were never asked about the stuff we filled in online so maybe it was automatically brought up based on our passports when the customs agent looked it up?
Yip. They checked the card. All of our info was already in the computer.

Are they still checking vax cards if you're out after 10pm in the village, like at bars and restaurants?

Are they still checking vax cards if you're out after 10pm in the village, like at bars and restaurants?

Except for at the airport when we initially arrived, we were never asked for our vax cards or asked to wear a mask the entire week. I should point out that I was almost always back in my room by 9 or 9:30pm because I'm old and boring.

We did go to Sundowners one evening around 7 and the upstairs was packed.

I did see some people wearing masks but most did not. However, in the West End, you are rarely indoors except to sleep as most restaurants are open air. In that regard the risk from Covid is low. But if you go into a store or something that is actually indoors, I suppose you increase your risk.

Back
Top Bottom