One more snorkeling question.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Joe03

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
As I mentioned in a couple of my other posts, been a novice diver since 85 and now moving into just snorkeling. So one question I have been pondering, if say I’m snorkeling in busy waters, ex. Lake George NY, should I still pull around, or have close, my dive flag? My snorkeling will be from the shore. Do you snorkelers carry a dive flag? Thanks, Joe

Ps, not sure I mentioned it in other threads, but just not comfortable with diving any more, at least in my NY waters, but still want to stay involved.

When I have snorkeled in busy waters I have pulled along a marker in the past.

When I have snorkeled in busy waters I have pulled along a marker in the past.
I guess its better to be safe than sorry. At Rogers Rock its kinda a cove at the beach area, but hear about some boaters that just don't pay attention on the lake. When I kayak I always carry a flag, but was always in boating areas, but at times even wondered if that would help with someone not paying attention. I guess even before I asked this I kinda new the answer, better to be safe, A Flag it is. Thanks, Joe

Hi ‘Joe03’

When I was snorkeling in “busy waters” like they are in many places in the Balearics in the Mediterranean, I always used the yellow in picture #6

Signalisation

Sorry it's in French…that does not matter for the photos.

But no problem if you use ‘Google translate’

As I mentioned in a couple of my other posts, been a novice diver since 85 and now moving into just snorkeling. So one question I have been pondering, if say I’m snorkeling in busy waters, ex. Lake George NY, should I still pull around, or have close, my dive flag? My snorkeling will be from the shore. Do you snorkelers carry a dive flag? Thanks, Joe

Ps, not sure I mentioned it in other threads, but just not comfortable with diving any more, at least in my NY waters, but still want to stay involved.
What do your local laws say about pulling a flag? If you’re in busy waters, best to pull a flag.

What Marie13 said about local laws. But even in non-busy areas pull a flag.

Get yourself a nice torpedo float (Mako), inflate it and deflate it as needed and you are good to go. Plus, if you get tired you can hold on to it.

@Joe03,

On MO/AR lakes, I prefer to fly a dive flag on a substantial float--whether I am skindiving (snorkeling) or scuba diving. I pull it (or push it) to the dive location, and then I will either tether it to the bottom, and dive very near it (skin- or scuba diving), or scuba dive holding the tether.

I am always a bit wary when skindiving, though, since clueless people driving fishing boats or jet skis will sometimes come very close to investigate that floating flag!

rx7diver

@Joe03,

On MO/AR lakes, I prefer to fly a dive flag on a substantial float--whether I am skindiving (snorkeling) or scuba diving. I pull it (or push it) to the dive location, and then I will either tether it to the bottom, and dive very near it (skin- or scuba diving), or scuba dive holding the tether.

I am always a bit wary when skindiving, though, since clueless people driving fishing boats or jet skis will sometimes come very close to investigate that floating flag!

rx7diver
Clueless is a good word, a better word than I used.

Back
Top Bottom