One-hand or two-hand valve drills (back mount doubles)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The DIR approach sounds fairly silly to me. I was recently diving in 0 degree (celsius) water, and air erupted from my left post. I didn't do anything besides reach back and turn off the left post valve. That took 5 seconds. If I had performed the DIR method, I would be a very pretty, very deceased diver.

You have been badly misinformed and are operating under serious misconceptions. The actual DIR approach is covered in the GUE Valve Manual, a 22 page PDF included in their Tech 1 course materials. I recommend you take a pause here and read through it a few times, then practice with a qualified instructor. If there is an actual (or simulated) failure then you obviously aren't supposed to run through the entire valve drill. The valve drill is intended to build comfort and motor skills, which will make you faster with repetition.

It is helpful to keep one hand free to signal your buddies with your light rather than using two hands on valves. When you have some kind of equipment failure, preventing team separation and calling your buddies in close is just as important as dealing with the failure. In my experience, asking a buddy to come take a look will often get you squared away faster than trying to do it all yourself. You might also need a free hand to deal with buoyancy issues as even experienced tech divers often struggle with buoyancy control when troubleshooting with an urgent problem.

You have been badly misinformed and are operating under serious misconceptions. The actual DIR approach is covered in the GUE Valve Manual, a 22 page PDF included in their Tech 1 course materials. I recommend you take a pause here and read through it a few times, then practice with a qualified instructor. If there is an actual (or simulated) failure then you obviously aren't supposed to run through the entire valve drill. The valve drill is intended to build comfort and motor skills, which will make you faster with repetition.

It is helpful to keep one hand free to signal your buddies with your light rather than using two hands on valves. When you have some kind of equipment failure, preventing team separation and calling your buddies in close is just as important as dealing with the failure. In my experience, asking a buddy to come take a look will often get you squared away faster than trying to do it all yourself. You might also need a free hand to deal with buoyancy issues as even experienced tech divers often struggle with buoyancy control when troubleshooting with an urgent problem.
I think that the DIR approach with respect to the situation I described is fairly silly. I don't think that the DIR approach as such is silly. I don't think I'm as poorly informed as you imagine.

I think that the DIR approach with respect to the situation I described is fairly silly. I don't think that the DIR approach as such is silly. I don't think I'm as poorly informed as you imagine.
Out of curiosity, how is the DIR approach different than what you did? You described the situation as "air erupted from my left post" and "I didn't do anything besides reach back and turn off the left post valve." Except for signaling one's buddy and having the buddy come over and take a look, what you did sounds a lot like the DIR approach to me. I'm not sure what distinction you're making.

Just my opinion, If you go for full two handed shut down, what has been actually proven except that maybe one of the 1st stages was leaking? But which one? Now I have turn them back on one at a time. Am I now sucking dust out of the wrong one? What if it is the manifold and which side of the isolation? Now turn valves back on and turn isolation off. Now again verify which side. Check with hand behind, check SPG? I'm loosing gas here and it's and Oh sh1t moment. Where is my buddy? Did he see my light signal? Is he leading and around the bend and can't see my light.

One handed shut down all dive long. Just my opinion. I know the chances of having a manifold leak is almost non existent. Almost!

The only thing I might be using two hands for at the same time is to see if I can determine which side is leaking. If its a free flow then I know what to shut down. No having to figure that out.

The DIR approach sounds fairly silly to me.
It's because you don't fully understand it. I didn't fully get the DIR valve drill until I was taught it in Tech 1. It is not as simplified as you think, yet not that hard either. As someone stated, read the 22 page valve manual. Even then I thought I knew more than I did I learned I didn’t know a lot. Proper instruction from an instructor who really understands the GUE/DIR path is critical

No that's incorrect. You don't actually understand the DIR approach, and appear to be doubling down on intentional ignorance. A lot of divers are trying to give you good advice here. You can either pay attention, or continue believing that you're the expert. Your choice.

Please in your own words describe the dir approach to failure management

If you are talking about the DIR/GUE valve drill that you see in the Youtube videos and compared to your actual issue with your left post, then I agree. However, as mentioned before, the drill is not the same as an true gas loss event.

I you want to know the GUE process in a true gas loss event, start on page 9. GUE Valve Manual - natural gas

@lukas_manthony - Probably the best way to figure things out is to go to a pool in a deco configuration and have an instructor air gun you for an hour. Mix in other training objectives to keep things interesting.

That’s training.

This is just the internet.

Do what you think is best; It’s your life.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom