One finger pogo?

How many times per hour do you contact the bottom.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Constantly, I'm a bottom bouncer.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm not afraid to push off a rock if I need to. Particularly if it avoids some other kind of "crash" or bump. Current pushing me sideways being the most common example. I can kick forwards and backwards, sideways I'm stuck. I try to anticipate but doesnt always work. I answered never because its not something unique to being on CCR. I've done 4 hr CCR cave dives and not touched anything but the primary and secondary ties. And some shorter OW OC dives where I got pushed every which way and had 30+ touches in 30 mins.

I use my wing, then my suit, and lastly my CLs. I'm not afraid to run a little over min loop volume especially when they bottom is undulating.

Maybe once or twice per 2-3hr dive I'll misjudge a big descent coming down especially if I'm in an unfamiliar cave passage, but I don't move until I'm stable again. If I'm in familiar passage and/or can see what's ahead of me clearly then pretty much never. Voted a few because the choices were worded weird IMO. Obviously not "never", because no one is perfect, but when it happens it is certainly out of the norm vs a regular thing.

I'm still new to the rebreather. To say I have perfect control would be an outright lie. I'm not even completely happy with my trim. But I am working on all the above every time I go out. So I will be honest, I am bouncing off the bottom, grabbing stuff all the time. It is getting better. I do miss the control I had on OC. I am sure there will be plenty of ego where they just won't answer or under count. I do feel like a fresh open water student with having to learn all over again. I picked 30 instead of all the time although I don't see much of a difference. I asked myself, once every 2 minutes? Yea, that is close. Depends on the dive.

Do you really have zero buoyancy control on CCR with your lungs? Realizing how much steering I do by breathing......... I have never dove CCR

With some rebreather setups, you can get a "bit" of buoyancy control, but if you do, it is painfully slow. All you're doing is moving the bubble up or down 6-8 inches which in the shallows will do a lot more, but at depth does practically nothing. It is sometimes enough to initiate an ascent or descent, but there really is no point in bothering. You have to hold an inhale or exhale for a tremendously long time to have any real effect at all so you have practically zero buoyancy control with your breath.
I still catch myself on a big descent trying to inhale rapidly which does absolutely nothing.

On CCR, you essentially have a fixed volume. Say you're diving an SF2 which has the counterlung behind you. When you exhale, the "bubble" in your lungs moves up a few inches to the counterlung and will expand an ever so small amount. When you inhale, that bubble contracts a bit due to the ever so slight difference in hydrostatic pressure. Buoyancy for this is "backwards" of normal OC diving, but the big difference is you may have an 1/8 lb buoyancy shift from full inhale to full exhale on the CCR. On OC, you are actually changing your buoyancy significantly every time you breathe. If you take a "big" breath to arrest a descent, that breath could be up to 6liters depending on your size. That's a 13lb buoyancy shift on a single breath. @The Chairman has a drill with all of his students for picking up lead and maintaining neutral buoyancy just by breathing. 6-8lbs is a cakewalk for most people. We make ours put on an 8lb weightbelt while hovering.

that make sense?

With some rebreather setups, you can get a "bit" of buoyancy control, but if you do, it is painfully slow. All you're doing is moving the bubble up or down 6-8 inches which in the shallows will do a lot more, but at depth does practically nothing. It is sometimes enough to initiate an ascent or descent, but there really is no point in bothering. You have to hold an inhale or exhale for a tremendously long time to have any real effect at all so you have practically zero buoyancy control with your breath.
I still catch myself on a big descent trying to inhale rapidly which does absolutely nothing.

On CCR, you essentially have a fixed volume. Say you're diving an SF2 which has the counterlung behind you. When you exhale, the "bubble" in your lungs moves up a few inches to the counterlung and will expand an ever so small amount. When you inhale, that bubble contracts a bit due to the ever so slight difference in hydrostatic pressure. Buoyancy for this is "backwards" of normal OC diving, but the big difference is you may have an 1/8 lb buoyancy shift from full inhale to full exhale on the CCR. On OC, you are actually changing your buoyancy significantly every time you breathe. If you take a "big" breath to arrest a descent, that breath could be up to 6liters depending on your size. That's a 13lb buoyancy shift on a single breath. @The Chairman has a drill with all of his students for picking up lead and maintaining neutral buoyancy just by breathing. 6-8lbs is a cakewalk for most people. We make ours put on an 8lb weightbelt while hovering.

that make sense?

That makes total sense. Would certainly be a different way of diving although I think I have much to see and learn on OC, CCR and confined caves gives me the willies!

I just make silt angels and let my body do the talking.

Cameron did you do the trimix with dale mcnight ?

UDIE.png
I thought Dan Wright was the sole holder of that particular c-card.
I am the original card holder, Dan isnt even close to my league

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom