On what it is like to be a new diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

2airishuman

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
This is mainly meant as food for thought for instructors and others involved in the process of training, equipping, and enculturating new divers.

Many of you are experienced enough that you may no longer have vivid memories of what it was like to be new. Some of you were perhaps never new having grown up on or in the water and never having had the experience of seeking out open water training. And what it means to be new varies over the years and from one area to the next. This post is my summary of what it's been like to be new.

I've lived most of my life in Minnesota, a state with more miles of shoreline than any other state, but with a short summer. Despite all the lakes there are fewer than a dozen that are widely regarded as having good diving. The average rec diver here dives one or two weeks a year while traveling to warmer waters. Beyond that, there are a few people who pursue relatively rugged dives -- freshwater spearfishing, ice rescue, and wrecks in the deep, cold waters of Lake Superior. There are around a dozen full-service dive shops in the state plus a few that don't have a regular retail storefront.

I decided to learn to dive and called around before I discovered SB. I tried to ask questions and evaluate shops and instructors.

Observation 1. The shops I spoke with work with multiple instructors. It is not possible to "interview" the person who will be teaching, at any shop I contacted.

One of the things that I did not realize until after actually starting my training is that a few area shops have in-house swimming pools while most do not, instead relying on public school, YMCA, and other public facilities. Scheduling is a constant problem for shops that do this, as is hourly cost, leading to my next observation:

Observation 2. When taking OWD instruction or other classes that involve use of a pool, it may be best to use a dive shop that has an in-house pool.

The shop I originally worked with no longer conducts classroom sessions. They steer all students to the PADI on-line training. Other shops offer both. Where available, classroom instruction is cheaper, and provides access to an instructor for questions. It also allows the classroom sessions and dives to alternate so that each skill is taught in the classroom just before it is practiced in the water. In my situation the on-line training would have been preferable, but potential students should realize that:

Observation 3. It may be necessary to call several shops to find classroom training instead of on-line training.

I ended up at a PADI shop more or less by accident. There are a number of required add-on charges that PADI shops impose that I have since learned are not universal, among them: The C-card fee, the purchase of an expensive PADI dive log book, and the purchase of an RDP. These three items alone total over $100. For classroom a hard-copy book and a DVD may also be required.

Observation 4. When comparing classes, the difference in add-on fees can be significant.

When I started snorkeling a year or two ago, I went to a local dive shop and tried on every mask in the store, with assistance and useful advice from the proprietor. I ended up with an XS Scuba "fusion," certainly nothing unusual or fancy, because it seemed to fit my face best. After I signed up for the confined water dives, the shop running the class asked me to come in with my gear so they could evaluate its fit an suitability. They didn't like the mask's fit, even though it's one they sell, and steered me to another mask, which I didn't think fit much better. In any case I had snorkeled enough to know my mask was going to work for me, and we eventually arrived together at the conclusion that it was best for me to keep what I have.

Observation 5. Even the best shops are in business to sell gear. Caveat emptor.

My confined water dives were with a shop that also offers TDI courses, something I'd looked for since I was trying to get a more analytical, "thinking diver" approach to the activity. But the OWD instructor assigned to me, though very good at teaching basic skills, had no background or interest in tech diving. I asked questions about gas planning and rock bottom calculations and he looked at me like I was from another planet and said his usual approach was to end a dive at 500-600 PSI. Therefore I observe, at the risk of overgeneralizing:

Observation 6. Few OWD instructors take a thinking, analytical approach to diving.

Even in a relatively short span of time, I've accumulated my gear from a variety of sources:
- Used fins, boots, and an AL-80 from craigslist.
- New mask and snorkel from the LDS.
- Used backplate and wing from ebay.
- Weights and belt from Mako.
- Regulators, computer, wetsuit, and other new gear from a variety of on-line sources including some of the SB favorites and some of the places we all love to hate.

I've kept a spreadsheet, and maybe I'll post it at some point, though I can't make all the prices public. The upshot of it is that I've ended up with gear that I'm really happy with for around $1600. Getting everything at the LDS would have cost more and I would have got lower quality gear.

Observation 7. Shop carefully and consider all options.

My backplate came with a Dive Rite harness that I didn't like. I put together a Hogarthian harness and fitted it myself. It took me all afternoon, and I think most people would have given up or sought out hands-on assistance. I used to backpack, and the Hogarthian harness feels much more natural and free to me than the poodle jackets that I'm convinced I've made the right choice. Still,

Observation 8. Most casual divers will never have the patience to assemble a Hogarthian harness.

My confined water instructor had an Air2 and, when I asked, said he only added the octo to his rig for the class. This varies locally from shop to shop as the other PADI shop I had spoken with in detail taught primary donate with an Air2. While I'm not going to claim to have enough experience to have an opinion of my own, I will observe that:

Observation 9. The industry ought to be able to do better, on the whole, in consistent instructional standards for OOA that match what divers do in the real world.

My confined water dives were with a shop that also offers TDI courses, something I'd looked for since I was trying to get a more analytical, "thinking diver" approach to the activity. But the OWD instructor assigned to me, though very good at teaching basic skills, had no background or interest in tech diving. I asked questions about gas planning and rock bottom calculations and he looked at me like I was from another planet and said his usual approach was to end a dive at 500-600 PSI. Therefore I observe, at the risk of overgeneralizing:
ScubaBoard is very different from the dive world in general. A high percentage of ScubaBoard users are technical divers, but in the whole world of scuba, only a very small percentage of divers are involved in any way with technical diving. I had never seen a technical diver or a technical diving gear setup until the shop with which I was then associated started offering it and I decided to give it a go myself. I was then an instructor with hundreds of logged dives. I am pretty sure none of the instructors in the shop had ever seen a technical diver then. This can even be true in a shop that offers technical instruction. It is very possible that the only instructor associated with the shop who knows anything about technical diving is the technical diving instructor. If you go into diving and already have that route in mind, you need to do careful research to find the right instruction.

Terms like "rock bottom" can further limit your choices. There are different ways to plan for a gas reserve, and "rock bottom" is a strategy and a term associated with only a very small percentage of technical diving agencies. It is very possible to find an extremely experienced and capable technical instructor who has no idea what that phrase means.

Good observations. However, on the issues of training and gear, I think local shops are merely accommodating what the market demands. Those people you mention who want to do no more than travel to a tropical destination for a week or two will get by just fine with the kind of non-"thinking diver" training that gets bashed on SB, as well as the kind of "poodle jacket" gear that gets bashed on SB. I suspect most such people would not be interested in "interviewing" instructors or even doing much shopping around for gear. They just want to be sold some decent gear and a certification class, book their vacation, and be done with it. I hesitate to criticize such people, as they are the majority. We here on SB who enjoy introspection, analysis, discussion, experimentation, etc., are a small part of the diving universe, and the people who are into tech diving are an even smaller corner of that.

If a person knows right off the bat that his goal is to do more challenging diving, he might be better served by looking farther afield for an instructor rather than limiting himself to what is available locally.

When I decided to get certified, it was in preparation for a coming vacation to a tropical region known for good diving. I thought I would do a couple of dive trips while I was there. I further determined that I would do such a trip every couple years. That means I would do may 5-6 dives every other year. That was my plan. Accordingly, I sought out the quickest and cheapest option available to me. When I instruct today, I ask new OW students about their plans. The overwhelming majority--maybe 80%--describe something along the lines of my original plans. Some are not that ambitious--they are thinking of one coming vacation only. At least half clearly have no thought of diving after they finish their planned trip.

Ironically, my decision to seek out the easiest and cheapest certification possible may have helped change those plans. I got certified during a last minute, unexpected vacation trip to Mexico, prior to the real trip for which I wanted to be certified. Looking back at it later, I realized that they skipped more than a few standards in order to make the certification quick and easy. If I had known what I was doing, in fact, I would have reported them for those violations. As a consequence, I did not feel truly prepared, and when I got to the real vacation, I spent the first two days doing my AOW. That class changed my plans, and I was hooked on diving well before the end of that vacation week.

If a person knows right off the bat that his goal is to do more challenging diving, he might be better served by looking farther afield for an instructor rather than limiting himself to what is available locally.

This is great advice.
Beside my open water and advanced open water, which I gained after 15 years of diving without a c-card, from a local instructor with which I had been diving for a few weeks, all of the rest has been by travelling to the instructors' place or paying for the instructor to relocate to my place.

It is not cheap but you get the right instruction from the right person in the right environment.

When I did my cave training I had to go to a cave location and my normoxic trimix and hipoxic trimix training was done in Sardinia where there is plenty of wrecks from 40 meters down to more than 120 meters (400 feet).

This said, how do you find the right instructor? Well, start diving, recreationally and non-technically, speak with divers, ask around tech divers who was the instructor, how they got along and how was the training. Do not be in hurry, put a few dives under the belt, let some experience build before moving forward. Read what you can (there is alot of free literature to be bought in kindle or ereader and some free, free online magazines).

Once you get to the 100 dives mark, you will have had some scares, you will have handled a few issues and you will have met people diving with 15 kilos (30 pounds) of ballast just to be sure to sink ... learn from yours and others' mistakes and when you feel ready, move forward with the accumulated knowledge. One last suggestion: get your ratings from different agencies: they will allow you to move forward crossing over from one to another, you will learn multiple ways to do the same thing and you will be able to decide which one is best (I have PADI PSA PTA CMAS ANIS TDI cards) and dive with different instructors: I befriended mines and now we also dive for fun ... around my or their places. The instructor need to be an avid diver and dive beyond the level of instruction you are seeking otherwise he wont have much to teach ...

There is no sobstitute to time under water.

Hope this helps.

Fabio

Last edited:
Observation 1. The shops I spoke with work with multiple instructors. It is not possible to "interview" the person who will be teaching, at any shop I contacted.

Which would make the typical and very common advice of "it's not the class, it's the instructor" AKA "just find a good instructor", to become completely irrelevant. How are you going to "find a good instructor" if you can't even know who it is until you arrive at the pool?...:confused:

Which would make the typical and very common advice of "it's not the class, it's the instructor" AKA "just find a good instructor", to become completely irrelevant. How are you going to "find a good instructor" if you can't even know who it is until you arrive at the pool?...:confused:

Book snorkeling trips on scubadivers boats ... talk to divers some will invariably have advice or be instructors ... go where divers are and get in the water before starting your training.

Fabio

It is indeed a problem. You can ask at the front desk when you schedule your class, but what are you going to say--I want to be placed with one of your better instructors?

I am going to make one suggestion here, and perhaps others can add on.

There has been a recent shift in the methodology of instruction. From the time instruction began skills were taught to students while they were kneeling on the bottom of the pool and overweighted. That was thought to be the best way to do it. In recent years, instructors have been shifting away from that, teaching students while they are properly weighted, neutrally buoyant, and in horizontal trim. Instructors who have made the switch find that students are MUCH better divers at the end of the pool sessions than are students trained on their knees. PADI has strongly SUGGESTED that its instructors make this change, but it has not required it. Other agencies have other policies, but I do not believe any of them REQUIRE instruction to be done on the knees. At this time, the vast majority of instructors are still teaching on the knees, as they always have. Consequently, your instructor is likely to be an old-school "on the knees" instructor, but he or she could be a new-school "horizontal and neutral" instructor.

If either approach makes more sense to you, that is one way you can make a differentiation. At the front desk, say you understand that there is that difference, and ask about the instructor you will have. Some shops have instructors with a mix of instructional styles, and you can request one with the style you prefer. If the shop only offers the style you would not prefer, go elsewhere. If they don't even know there is a difference, go elsewhere quickly.

I had 3 different instructors on my OW training. I think they were good, I guess... But, if you don't know what you don't know, you really don't know if you are getting a good instructor or not either!

If a shop will not let you interview the instructor you are going to have- find another shop. That is complete and total bull crap. The first thing to remember is that when you sign up for classes, as the consumer you have the final say over who teaches you. Or you can, and perhaps should, take your money elsewhere.

This is one of the reasons I put an entire chapter in my book on choosing an instructor and one on choosing a shop. What you are actually doing when you sign up for classes is HIRING someone to teach you how to dive. You are, in effect, hiring an employee. New divers need to have this in their mind when signing up for a class. I don't take a cent from anyone until they have had a chance to interview me personally.

You have to ask why would a shop not allow you to interview the person you are trusting with your life and maybe that of your family? That person is the one who is going to minimize the risk to your safety, security, and perhaps financial stability by teaching you how not to get hurt or worse underwater. Why can't you talk to them? They can show up for a class right? They can show up early or stay over to talk to a new potential student.

When you fill out that paperwork and hand over the check, cash, or credit card they now work for you. Not for the shop. If they don't have that view - RUN AWAY!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom