On Scuba Club Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Is Blue Angel an AI and do they have shore diving comparable to SCC?

Is Blue Angel an AI and do they have shore diving comparable to SCC?

Blue Angel is not a full AI. When you stay at the hotel, you get a full breakfast every morning. You get lunch every day that you have a pre-booked dive. We were there for a week and that also included one dinner. BA's restaurant is open-air, overlooks the water, and the food is good.

BA is a 20-30 minute walk into town, so I liked not being locked into AI dinners every night. It gave me the option of eating in town, or just picking stuff up at the Mega or Chedraui (is that the spelling?) and eating in my room....or, better yet, on my balcony.

Don't get me wrong, I liked SCC, though. For me, the biggest difference is the setting. BA is about 20 rooms....all ocean front, all with balconies. I love to hang on the balcony, or on the bed, and watch the ocean.

Oh, the shore dive? Personally, I preferred the SCC shore dive. Neither is pretty, but SCC has a rocky coast that is more interesting. At least, for me.

Ron

BA shore diving is OK to do as a warm up tank when you arrive. Something to make you feel as if you've earned your welcome marg. You can check out the rays next door, and we found a great little drum about half way down the fence that surrounds the rays. We also saw a cool trumpet and a nice eel. Also, not a bad way to waste some time with a night dive since the tanks are free. All of that being said, the dive site looks like downtown Bucharest did in the 90s. Like Don said, Coz is a boat dive centered place. The shore dives are mostly a diversion when you are not on a boat.

A good diving experience and I'm willing to overlook some topside issues as a price for the dives, but it did not happen this time. Scuba Club has large boats and as a single diver you have no say as to where you go, unless you're part of a group. It seemed to me they were choosing safe sites for the new divers coming in that day-- the lowest common denominator phenomenon. When I look at my log from three years ago when I did get some good dives I must have just lucked out, or the staff were different, who knows. In any case, it's a big effort to take time off work, plan a vacation, and make the long trip with dive gear, not to mention the cost, I would not risk going to a an iffy place.

Adam

I hope that more people feel like the OP. Less people at SCC! We've been there 14 times over the years and had a great experience every time. Were there in September and had the whole boat to ourselves a couple days (3 divers). Returning next year for 2 weeks.

Having just returned from Cozumel - I have never stayed at SCC so I can't comment on the accomodations. It does seem as though some DM's are reluctant to go to the better dive sites that are further south. I don't know if this is because they are trying to conserve on fuel or what. One day last week the DM said we were going to Columbia and then remarked that there were too many boats down there and chose LaFrancesa. Not a bad site which by the way was called Cedral Wall the next day?? With a different DM we went down and did Palancar caves on another day. Lots of boats that day too but the DM didn't care. The DM who took us south despite the traffic was rewarded via a much better tip than the one who didn't feel like going further south.

If the DMs won't take you where you want by the third day, you really should talk to the manager - and I always ask them to not put me on boats with newbie limitations.

Adam, I was there at the same time as you and my group even extended invites to you to join dinner, etc, since you were on the same flight as some of our arriving group. Let me preface my remarks by saying that I'm not trying to be mean, but rather realistic.

We were on the same Reef Star boat and dove the same dives with different dive masters. We had dives of over 100', 90' and 80' for the first four days of diving and beyond. The group you were assigned to dive with got very frustrated with you and your diving technique. The dive master even talked to you about your diving for which you asked to be assigned to another boat and that request was granted. Also, when you're with other underwater photographers you have to be polite and wait your turn, of which most of the time you did not. On the night dive you constantly bounced on top of me for which I was about ready to punt you for screwing with my buoyancy.

I can't speak to your room(s), but everyone in our group and the other groups we befriended were in great rooms, as were my rooms of past. The food was just fine, true maybe not the food of the past, but still very good. As well, you have the right to choose off the lunch menu if you didn't like the dinner menu. If you don't like the full food menu, you could have chosen a light plan which would have allowed you to go out and enjoy Cozumel flavor. I've been to SCC as a single without dive partners or travel partners and I certainly enjoyed Cozumel outside of SCC.

When, at dinner, you spoke about "have you ever wondered what it would be like to shoot a canon at a ship" (as we were at dinner looking out over the cruise ships and party boats that passed), we all felt very uncomfortable around you. The night dive just sealed the deal for two or three groups at the club.

If you choose not to come back to SCC, that is probably a good thing, but don't lambaste SCC because you didn't listen to the dive masters or because the other divers complained about you, and you didn't get your way. This is why you were likely placed on so many boats and didn't get your wish of diving past 100'.

SCC does everything possible to make divers experiences exactly what they hope for. Obviously yours was not ideal and that is a loss for you. Enjoy your trips elsewhere and I truly hope you find a location that serves your needs and desires.

Last year we were refunded for the harbor being closed, but sometimes they'll provide credits for future trips. You have to deal directly with the front desk.

read my post at the rear of this string.....it will give you better information about him.....

As for the lion fish, there aren't as many as last year because the dive masters have been killing them and teaching the fish to eat them. So, they are being hunted as well. It's pretty funny to watch the larger fish follow the dive masters an entire dive so they can get fed the lion fish.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom