On Scuba Club Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would return, but it would not be my choice in the near future. The reason, besides having a negative dive experience on this visit, is that because of the current your shore diving is limited to staying very shallow and close to shore. If you try to go farther and deeper in Coz you run the risk of being carried and unknown distance by the current. You certainly won't come out at the same place you entered.

Also, after this experience I'd be cautious about prepaying for the diving with one dive operator. It's a matter of hedging your bets, so if you get fed up with one dive operator you have the option to shore dive or go with someone else. At Scuba Club I was stuck.

Adam

You do have to be able to navigate and manage (judge) currents for Cozumel shore diving. I have gone from SCC out to Villa Blanc Reef (40 to 50 ft) and returned many times with no problems. Also, I have taken a taxi to the area of the lighthouse and drifted back to SCC. Both were good shore dives after you get tired of the junk piles in SCC's (and Hotel Cozumel's) roped off areas.

I also did not mention that we missed a day of diving due to the noreaster and they would not refund for those dives. There was no time for me to "make them up" during the remainder my stay.
Is that typical?

The reason, besides having a negative dive experience on this visit, is that because of the current your shore diving is limited to staying very shallow and close to shore. If you try to go farther and deeper in Coz you run the risk of being carried an unknown distance by the current. You certainly won't come out at the same place you entered.

Adam

Typical methodology used for shore diving with currents that run parallel to shore, is you start your dive swimming against the current, reach turn around point and return to exit with current. This is typical anywhere, not just Cozumel.

so we have a Coz hater daring to post, who would also probably advocate trial-by-jury for accused lionfish ? Christi will be sending a JDAM towards ya any minute now.....

Let me be clear here: I do like lionfish.
(Every one that I have eaten at "La Hatch" has been excellent.)

I also did not mention that we missed a day of diving due to the noreaster and they would not refund for those dives. There was no time for me to "make them up" during the remainder my stay.
Is that typical?
Oh really. :confused: I guess that's a risk of buying a package, at least there.

I've been lucky overall, only having a few dives blown out over the years - but was able to do make up dives on the same trips except for once, and I got him to refund a portion. :idk: Maybe he thought I was the kind of trouble maker who would file a claim with my credit card?

Is that typical?

That is just wrong. If you used a credit card file a complaint with that company.

<snip> The reason, besides having a negative dive experience on this visit, is that because of the current your shore diving is limited to staying very shallow and close to shore. If you try to go farther and deeper in Coz you run the risk of being carried an unknown distance by the current. You certainly won't come out at the same place you entered.
Get yourself a scooter.

Whether SCC owes Jackie anything for weather missed dives depends on their contract. I have no read it.
Get yourself a scooter.
That's silly. Fortunately they're not readily available there. I was on a Florida Keys dive once with an Op that rented them, several had them, and they were irritating to hear.

Coz is not a shore diving destination. Some like to do it anyway, and it can be interesting, but it's more of a boat dive location.

Is that typical?

I was with an LDS group at SCC about a year ago and never got credit for a day of missed diving due to a noreaster.

This year, I stayed and dove with Blue Angel twice. I thought they were great about refunds. On the first trip, I missed a day of diving due to sickness. Blue Angel refunded the day's dives for me and my wife....without my having to ask for it. I was impressed. Given my experience the previous year with SCC, I didn't know what to expect.

Then, a couple months later, I had pre-paid for nitrox. Over a two day period, I had three tanks that my gauge read at 2700 - 2800 psi. We tested the tanks with other gauges and got varying results. In the end, the DM thought my gauge might have been reading low by 100 psi (I wasn't convinced.) In any case, I didn't make a big deal over it and just opted to just use air instead of those three nitrox tanks. I didn't ask for my $8 per tank back because I wasn't 100% certain if my gauge might have been a bit off, and they weren't dramatically low. In any case, when I checked out, they'd given me a credit for the 3 tanks. Again, I was impressed.

I'm already a Blue Angel fan, but those couple experiences just added to my appreciation for their opperation.

Ron

Reactions: Jax
That's silly. Fortunately they're not readily available there. I was on a Florida Keys dive once with an Op that rented them, several had them, and they were irritating to hear.

Nothing wrong with the old way of having a burro pull you from the bank..... :doctor:

Next they will have those confounded auto-mobiles....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom