On Scuba Club Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not safe is a strange description and I'd have to say inaccurate for the vast diving population diving Cozumel.

The conditions you are describing describe most of the diving in Bonaire which is considered the shore diving capital of the world.

But I'll agree that if you can't safely dive a site, it's good to recognize your personal limitations and gain experience until you have the skills to dive safely.

If you try to do a deep shore dive there in the best case you'll get carried downcurrent and come out at another point on the coast, in the worst case you'll get carried into open sea and end up in trouble.

If you try to do a deep shore dive there in the best case you'll get carried downcurrent and come out at another point on the coast, in the worst case you'll get carried into open sea and end up in trouble.

Just plain WRONG. I have done a number of shore dives from SCC out to Villa Blanc Reef into the 40 to 60 ft range and always came directly back on the same way-point route I took out. Yes, you have to watch the strength of the current and know when not to go. I guess, if you are stupid enough you could manage to find a way to get carried out to sea but that would take some serious incompetence. For a couple years there was a US DM working in the their shop who used to do guided shore dives out to Villa Blanc. That was before a couple hurricanes made that portion of Villa Blanc much less interesting. It used to be lots of good grass between 30 and 40 feet and plenty of sponges when it started to drop off from there. By the time you get to 60 ft, the slope just keeps accelerating.

I did one taxi dive in heavier current (not deep, 30 max) and did recognize that We was going by SCC but it was a good dive so we decided to go on down to PLG to exit rather than try to swim it back. That was OK but it was a bit tough carrying both my and her tanks back to SCC. Also, I always keep some pesos in my pocket just in case (part of good preparation). I had them in my pocket when we exited at PLG but.... The point is that even at 20 to 30 feet, you can get carried away by the current if you don't pay attention to your navigation.

Sorry, that's not true, at least not universally so. I have dived Villablanca Wall from shore several times and none of that stuff happened to me. Whether a dive is safe or not often depends as much on the diver's skill level as on the site itself. Yes, the current is a factor and you need to take it into account, but it's not that big a deal.

BTW, at most locations on the west coast of Cozumel, the prevailing current runs parallel to shore, not out to sea, the exception being the reefs north of town.

I've done quite a few shore dives, all of them starting at the blue angel. I always head into the current passing the sting ray prison up to villablanca, then turn and just float back. Mostly small coral heads and fans in about 18-20' of water. Lots of critters if you move real slow.
I tried once to head straight out to the villablanca wall, but gave up after 15 minutes. It was mostly a grassy area in 20-25' of water.

FWIW, to navigate to the "wall" in front of SCC, take a compass reading and look for an object on the edge of visibility that's in that direction. Swim to that object and take another compass reading before swimming to the next objective to avoid "windage." Return the same way. If you simply swim west, the current will carry you north. Do not hurry; take it slow. You don't want to run low on air and have to surface offshore.

Since Wilma, the bottom offshore is mostly sand until you get near the wall where you will begin to see small coral heads and sponges. The bottom begins to slope off to the deep at a depth of 50-60 feet and the current will pick up the closer you are to the wall. You can work into the current for a while (rule of thirds) before returning to the shore.

If you get into trouble, swim towards shore for as long as you air will permit before surfacing and exit where you can. Be very careful when you surface - boat traffic. Take some money with you for a taxi; if not, the drivers will wait for you to run up to your room to get the fare.

Back
Top Bottom