On Scuba Club Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You don't see many negative reports here because many fear being attacked by fans - and SCC has many. One of the reasons I prefer to save by booking air & hotel together if possible, but book diving separately when I can - is so I can change dive Ops if needed.

What's wrong with doing a back roll?
I love the back roll. Have done it from higher than most.

My first 2 trips were at Scuba Club, loved the rooms, but did get moved once (and upgraded) when there were AC problems. Agree the breakfasts and lunches were superior to the dinners. My diving experiences were better, most of the divemasters were great, only got with 1 that I really had bad dives with. My last day there included Devil's Throat, and my first trip included a few wall dives, the first was Columbia, which I will always remember, a great turtle encounter!-) I now prefer to stay in town at cheap hotels and dive from small boats, backrolls are my favorite! And so many wonderful eateries! Sorry to hear you had a bad experience there, they definitely ignited my passion for Cozumel, and I really miss the shore dives.

I have never been a huge Coz fan, just not my style of diving but the one thing I have learned over the years is one mans crap hole is anothers palace. Some folks are easy to please and others are impossible to make happy. Granted I tend to be fairly easy to please but I find the rooms at SCC nice and I have been inside 4 of them recently, good food, good boats and staff.....and considering I am typing this setting in the gazebo that is in view of the web cam, the report is about as fresh as it gets. Everyone in our group ( 12 divers) is happy with everything, including 3 others who are frequent contributors to this board.

I forgot to mention that with the back roll over the side there was no one to reach down and hand me my camera, so I had to back roll with my camera. The back roll is fine, I did not say there was anything wrong with it.

Adam
Oh, that's unusual. I backroll with my camera but it should be an option.

Thanks Hatul, very informative.

VARIABLE is a good description of SCC. When you receive the good side of what they have to offer, it can be great.

My wife and I love SCC, the diving, the accommodations, the staff, and the food. We are "been there, done that" divers who continue to return to SCC each year for several weeks at a time.

Different strokes for different folks.

I forgot to mention that with the back roll over the side there was no one to reach down and hand me my camera, so I had to back roll with my camera. The back roll is fine, I did not say there was anything wrong with it. Adam

Hi Adam,

I've seen dozens and dozens of photographers with all sizes and shapes of camera rigs and I've never seen anyone have to do a back roll or giant stride with their equipment. I have seen some divers do a giant stride off the dock when doing a shore dive but they had tiny little point & shoot kits.

I've always found the boat crews ready willing and able to not only handle (and hand you) your camera after you do a backroll, but also be right there ready to grab it when you surface.

I've also always found that they handle the gear delicately and with any instructions you might request (like not putting an expensive kit in the dunk tank). This goes for any of their boats, large and small.

Most of the kits I've seen would knock the diver out if they did a backroll with it, or could seriously damage a couple the stobes, some at over a grand apiece.

I'm just wondering, did you asked one of them to hand your kit to you after you did your backroll (and they refused or ignored you), or maybe they assumed that your doing it on your own was the way you wanted to enter.

Just curious, not doubting your word.

Just got back from a week at Scuba Club, my fourth visit there and probably my last. I've had good experiences there previously but I must say this time was a disappointment. I'll summarize my experiences in the three areas: accommodation, diving and food.

Accommodation:
The rooms are definitely showing their age and are extremely variable -- some good and some uninhabitable. I had to change rooms twice as the first two had old air conditioners blowing hurricane cold air directed at the head of the bed. Maybe some can sleep like that but not me. I finally got room 31 which had a good AC, but was otherwise uncomfortable. The room had no table or desk to set your laptop or do some reading or study. To their credit the Wi-Fi internet access had improved since my last visit.

Another issue I had not experienced there before was loud music every evening into the night coming from some nearby resort north of there.

Food:
This was never a forte of Scuba Club but this time it was much worse. Breakfast and lunch were fine, but supper saw huge plate of food loaded with tasteless, fat creamy meal. Now I'm no chef but even I can cook much better than that. To makes things worse the upstairs dining room was kept frigid cold and dark. I ate there once and then stayed away.

Diving: This used to be the forte area of the resort but not anymore according to my experience there. Overall I found the diving mediocre. As a surrogate marker in the 13 dives I did the deepest was 88 ft max. I asked for a wall dive but it was not to be. There were always divers on the boat who had just arrived to the resort and they insisted on easy dives, even though I signed in as an advanced diver.

I used three boats. The Reef Star was a comfortable single hull boat with good tank rack, but had the exhaust directed at the dive ladder, so as you ascended you got some good lung fulls of engine exhaust. You need to keep the mask on and breathe from your reg to avoid that. The Dive Cat was their best boat though no windscreen for rain protection. The Observer was the worst of the three. It was extremely noisy to the extent that I feared hearing damage, the tank rack was poorly designed and could not accommodate the double band BC, and you had to back roll to dive.

Shore diving is limited in Cozumel because of the current so you're stuck with the dive operator. Overall I would avoid Scuba Club in my future travel and will likely also go to a different destination.

Adam

Adam,

Three words: Blue Angel Resort.

You can thank me later.

Other than good internet access to each room, it has everything you need/want.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom