On Maui from 10/12-10/24 anyone want to dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Keith.M

Contributor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hey folks,

I am going to be on Maui, staying in Kehei.

Going for a wedding, but plenty of time to get some diving in!

I am planning on doing at least a couple days of boat dives, would like to do the back wall of Molokini and the Cathedrals off of Lanai.

Other than that, I would like to get some shore diving in. Lots of it! I could use some recommendations for sites other than the pier in Lahaina. I have dived that before and will indeed dive it again this time, but from shore.

Does anyone on the island rent steel 100's? I will be bringing all gear except weights and tanks

Any one going to be there and feel like buddying up? Or a local that could use a buddy? I am the only diver I know of coming for this wedding.

What are the rules regarding dive flags? I know when I dived the pier before, off a boat, no one had a flag, but I have heard that it is required?

I have recently done some research on shops and tank sizes. I know that Lahaina Divers has AL100 and Extended Horizons has "Steel 100" but not sure if it is an HP or LP tank, you can always call them and ask. Also try B&B scuba.

Anyone know what to expect as far as water temps in October?

Coastal Water Temperature Guide - NOAA Hawaii - actuals here.

B&B often lists what they've measured on their dives recently also. Maui Scuba Diving - Molokini Dive Charters, Guided Shore Diving, Scuba Gear Rentals - about 1/2 way down.

I'd rent a flag for shore diving. I think it's required. The 2 Maui Dive Shop Dive locations rent one for $15/wk. So does Maui Dreams Dive Co in Kihei. I'm sure most shops do, just two I know of.

I "borrowed" this from California Divine News but I think they're wrong. I've always heard the right side is a ticket if you're spotted - you can't cross the active boat channel even with a flag. Ask Tiny Bubbles Scuba - they shore dive it often.
There are 2 primary ways to get out to the dive area where you’ll descend down onto the wharf; you can enter at a small sandy beach area just to the right side of the boat ramp, or climb across some of the boulders that make up the breakwater to the left of the ramp and make an entrance. The right side is an easier entry, but you will have to cross the boat channel near the end of the ramp so keep an eye out for boats. A dive flag is a required piece of equipment here, and local police have cited divers for not having one. Note that the ramp can be quite active in the mornings and late afternoons, and people sometimes fish off the breakwater as well so stay clear.

Nobody seems to be diving Lana'i from the Kihei Ramp any longer - too much time/gas. So you're going to have to drive up to Extended Horizons or Lahaina Divers for that most likely. For the backwall see what Ed Robinson's is doing that week, they have a 2 or 3 tank Advanced Dive a couple days per week.

We stayed in Wailea once - Wailea Beach is a surprisingly good dive out off the south point. All the beaches in that area (Polo, Ulua, Wailea) are supposed to be good as is Makena Landing/5 Caves further south. Scuba Shore Diving Site Listing for: Maui, Hawaiian Islands Parking is often an issue at the south beach sites - once we had to circle/wait for about 20mins. to get a spot. It's public access but the resorts adjacent don't make it easy.

Last edited:
Thank you very much for your post.

Yes, dive flags are required.

Looks like I will probably be doing 2 or 3 boat trips with Ed Robinson's. I have heard good things and they seem to be very close to where I am staying.

Don't know if I will make it up to Lahaina early enough for a trip to Lanai, but I'll see.

I will most likely head up there later and shore dive the pier while the GF has fun in Lahaina.

Still would like to find a buddy if anyone is interested.

So far I have shore dives at the pier and Old Airport. Did a 2 tank trip with Ed Robinson's boat and both dives were off the back wall of Molokini. Will be diving off his boat again tomorrow.

So far I have shore dives at the pier and Old Airport. Did a 2 tank trip with Ed Robinson's boat and both dives were off the back wall of Molokini. Will be diving off his boat again tomorrow.
Who did you dive with at Airport and Mala Pier?

Back
Top Bottom