OMS vs Halcyon

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Phoenix

Club Web Master
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
can anyone give me the pros and cons of the Halcyon Explorer #70 over the OMS Dual #100

i've had alot of people tell me to get the halycon gear, so if anyone can let me know the differences that would be great, cheers

What size doubles are you wearing? And do you stage and deco diving? The reason I ask is cuz those wings are fairly big and I just was curious as to how you came up with those 2 wings to choose from.

Phoenix once bubbled...
can anyone give me the pros and cons of the Halcyon Explorer #70 over the OMS Dual #100

i've had alot of people tell me to get the halycon gear, so if anyone can let me know the differences that would be great, cheers

Ryan: you might also consider the smaller Halcyon or Equiv. Wing... say #55. Unless you are carrying several stages and other equipment -- scooters and cameras and big video lights -- the larger models are a bit overkill.

Describe to us what you want to do and what sort of conditions you dive in...

Thanks mate

the inside of the OMS looks like a zip lock baggy, the halcyon looks like it is made of balistic nylon.

You dont need a Double Blader wing in any Senario.

You dont need a second inflator , you dont need 2 inflation hoses , then you wear a Dry SUit , what you will do add an
inflation hose 3 ????

Actualy if your equipment configuration is corect , that means
double steel tanks only with a Dry suit and aluminium stage
tanks then just add Halcyon 55.

Manos.
www.dir.cy.net

well your right i probably dont need the 70, but im getting this in preperation for a project next year which will probably be utilising twin 12s/15s, and 2 or three small stages, with scooters and camera/strobes, id rather not go and have two different bladders due to cost implciations at the moment, have to get a £600 drysuit as well, so i have the inflation of the suit as well, and i am quite aware of the dangers of a larger wing if the inflater where to stick/free flow, but are there any other major disadvantages to the larger ones? drag? i have quite a wide shoulder span so im not sure if that would be quite an issue but its something to consider

other than that expedition, it will mainly be normal diving activities and wrecks around the UK, the main requirement is for this project as i say, which will be multi stage dives

at what point does the 55# become dangerously ineffective?

and we dont use alu' in the UK, they are hard to source and even hearder to get inspected, so its steels all the way, steel 12s/15s and 2 or 3 steel 7 stage bottles
with a SS backplate

Ryan do you cave or wreck dive ?

this explains everything , your problem is the steel stages.
By not correcting this you create another problem which is the
need for biger wing. Now you have 4 problems.

1: steel stage tanks will , ruin your trim => kick more silt
2: Need biger wing => more drag.
3: Need to re adjust your boyancy every time you take one off
to pass through a restriction.
4: They are heavy hang down like a brick and entangle on enything.

I Usualy dive 2x15 which weight 21kg + vweight 5kg some times with 2-3 stages ( ALu 80 ) ( come on men this is the most poppular tank in the world , even my self i can find it and i leave in a Greek Med Island ). Get reat of the steel stage tanks and
buy yourself a Halcyon 55. Have a look at my page see how those tanks " swimm " along with the diver .

I love them when i scooter around.

Oh ! By the way you will have no problems with 55lb
and 12-15 Ltr steel double Tanks.

But dont use them with 10Ltr otherwise you will look like a Manta ray.

its not that you cant get them here, its the servicability of them, due to strict HSE (health and safety executive) rules regarding the use of al tanks in the UK, especially when used under high pressure u can find them, but you will have to send them to one of only a handful of places for the testing, and they require full tests every 2 years not every 5 years like steels,

no i dont cave/rec dive yet, im quite new to the technical diving scene so im just playing on the ear of caution and asking around :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom