Oms Vs Faber

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RUFUST

Registered
Reaction score
What is the differance (if any)between the OMS-Faber and geniune Faber?

Nothing besides paint and rated volume (for exam., a Faber 95 is an OMS 98, afaik the difference is because of the temperature each company uses to determine the volume).

Ben

Another difference is buoyancy; OMS cylinders are closer to neutral when empty, while Fabers are negative (at least according to their published data, FWIW).

The cylinders are identical, as Ben says the rated volume is off a bit-interesting speculation about the temp<g> as far as the bouyancy characteristics they are the same cylinder so go figure on that one.

CRDiver:
Another difference is buoyancy; OMS cylinders are closer to neutral when empty, while Fabers are negative (at least according to their published data, FWIW).

Published buoyancy specs will depend on who's chart you're reading. Some publish specs without valve, some with. Some at 500 psi, some empty.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Don't read too much into those specs. Bob is right. Are you considering one of these tanks?

CRDiver:

This is not true. A Faber 108 is an OMS 112. Same buoyancy specs. Faber cylinders are painted white, OMS are grey. You were not comparing apples to apples. OMS only has the LP cylinders, however, Faber makes LP and HP cylinders.

OneBrightGator:
Chris, do you know something I don't know? The temp difference is what I've heard and it seems plausible to me.

Ben
Ben

I believe the ratings are measured at the same facility, Scuba Pro has the same rating as Faber, Iremember hearing something about it somewhere but for the life of me I can't remember, how can the temp be plausible? This would mean the bottles would be rated differently in the summer or the winter, am I missing something?

I heard that they use air at different temperatures when measuring the capacity of the tanks, good ol' PV=nRT, higher T = higher V.

Ben

Back
Top Bottom