OMS Troll

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Comes down to one simple question Ben,

Do you need it?

If the answer is no, leave it at home.

Entanglement, Rust, streamlining. They are all factors.

Yeah, but the claim rubber tank boots get trapped in restrictions? What are these cave divers doing, sitting down on their arses in the cave trying to do a Warhammer down a crevice, and finding their tanks are getting wedged? C'mon!

Scubaroo once bubbled...
Yeah, but the claim rubber tank boots get trapped in restrictions? What are these cave divers doing, sitting down on their arses in the cave trying to do a Warhammer down a crevice, and finding their tanks are getting wedged? C'mon!

Have you ever seen a restriction in a cave? If you ever consider going through one take the tank boots off first. Not all caves are big enough to drive a truck through. Not only do boots get in the way but sometimes tanks on the back get in the way so they're slung on the side. Sometimes tanks on the side get in the way so they are removed. Wings are sometimes turned backwards so there is no inflator elbow sticking up. The inflator hoses are sometimes wrapped in rubber to prevent damage. Wet suits get shredded and some use drysuits with kevlar patches. There are lots of small caves and big caves with small restrictions.

I was told that Lamar Hires had to remove his wet suit top to get the line as far back as he did in Cow. Some divers joke about how they think he shot it in there with a spear gun because the cave is so small back there. BTW, you should see the mouse hole you have to go through to even get into Cow. I was talking to a guy at EE back in January. He said he got stuck in the entrance restriction on, I think, a New Years Eve dive and it took him like 10 min to get out. On our first trip into Cow my wife (who is very small) took one at the restriction and gave the thumbs up to turn the dive. I was through it last Sunday for the first time. It took some experimenting to get just the right angle of attack to fit through. I'm glad I didn't have boots on my tanks. Oh, and the guy I was diving with says it's big and that I haven't seen small yet.

Does that give you a better idea what "these cave divers" are doing?

Rubber knobs are prone to roll offs but for the same reasons they are easier to do valve shut downs. Plastic knobs do not roll off nearly as easy but are prone to breaking if whacked hard enough. It is very easy to get wedged in restrictions from my limited experience in caves, I would recommend not using boots. Metal slides much easier on rock then rubber or plastic. I personally run a smooth stainless knob on my left post to prevent roll-offs and I use rubber on the rest.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom