OMS sidemount adaptor vs. dedicated rig

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kevin Floyd

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I have been thinking about sidemount for awhile. I’m not sure if cave diving is in my future but I know that I want to start working up the extended range tree of training. I am also just into learning new skills. I don’t really want to get into a big discussion about sidemount vs doubles. I’m really just asking about equipment configuration.
My dive shop is looking for someone to fill out a sidemount class. So I think I’m going to take the class.
I’m diving on an OMS SS plate with a STA and a 32lb mono wing.
Question: should I get the OMS rec sidemount adapter or a dedicated sidemount rig?

I have read that the OMS adapter on a SS plate can be hard to dive for a newbie and the hard plate is unlike the flexibility of a dedicated rig.

Our instructor will teach us how to weight for a single tank sidemount. He explained he does this because in case we are the only person diving side mount on a boat run by an operator that doesn’t want to mix single tank divers with 2 tank divers.

With that skill I see myself diving sidemount a lot if I get comfortable with it.

can the shop loan you a sidemount bc for just the class since you are basically doing them a favor?

i wouldn't buy the oms profile adapter though as you would be unlikely to really use it long term. most likely you will transition to either a florida or mexico rig.

I have no experience with the adapter, but I would encourage you to get a dedicated sidemount rig so that you can fit everything properly.

Achieving good trim in SM is damn near impossible if you haven't adapted the fit to your height, how the tanks line up along your body, etc.

I have no experience with the adapter, but I would encourage you to get a dedicated sidemount rig so that you can fit everything properly.

Achieving good trim in SM is damn near impossible if you haven't adapted the fit to your height, how the tanks line up along your body, etc.
That was my line of thought. That’s why I was thinking about buying instead of brorowing one.

In that case what style rig should I look at? I spend about an equal amount of time in a dry suit or a rash guard. Lake temps in the winter are 55f but I also go to the Caribbean a couple times a year.

While I think it’s a ways down the road I could see myself getting into wreck penetration at some point.

In that case what style rig should I look at? I spend about an equal amount of time in a dry suit or a rash guard. Lake temps in the winter are 55f but I also go to the Caribbean a couple times a year.
+1 on a sidemount specific rig, easier for learning.

The katana and the stealth seemed to straddle the gap between Florida and Mexico rigs, from each side. I went with the stealth tec, as it has enough capacity as I am likely to need for a while, and I like the notion of its harness being able to flex more than the Florida rigs. The stealth classic may be more packable for travel than the tech.

I’d read through this forum on rig impressions, lots of discusions of most of the options.

Buy an xDeep stealth and be done with it. The systems that do both backmount and sidemount generally suck for sidemount and are marginal for backmount.

The stealth classic will work for 80’s with stages/deco and smaller steels, LP85’s and similar. You’re not gonna dive LP108’s with 2 stages and 3 deco gases on the Classic though. Diving those giant steels is not really conducive to the type of diving that sidemount was designed for anyway.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom