OMS Galvanized tanks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GregV

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Anybody out there know anything about OMS HP gavanized steel tanks? the galvanizing seems like it would stop all corrosion from occuring, but I don't know much about them or met anyone who has used them. Do to the price of the tanks I wanting to make sure they are a good tank without any history of recalls or problems due to the galvanizing. Any info you all could pass along will be appreciated.

OMS purchases tanks from another company, stamps them as their own, and sells them for more money.

PerroneFord:
OMS purchases tanks from another company, stamps them as their own, and sells them for more money.

And how does that affect the performance and galvanizing issues the OP asked about? :confused:

Tamas:
And how does that affect the performance and galvanizing issues the OP asked about? :confused:

"Do to the price of the tanks I wanting to make sure they are a good tank"

I am encouraging the OP to shop around and find some other quality tanks at a more effective price. Perhaps even the very same tanks.

GregV:
Anybody out there know anything about OMS HP gavanized steel tanks? the galvanizing seems like it would stop all corrosion from occuring, but I don't know much about them or met anyone who has used them. Do to the price of the tanks I wanting to make sure they are a good tank without any history of recalls or problems due to the galvanizing. Any info you all could pass along will be appreciated.
The HP steels that were in the OMS catalog for this year were made by PST. PST is undergoing some reorganization and not shipping tanks right now (if you want to know the full story, do a search). I'm not sure if OMS has picked up another manufacturer yet. Worthington makes some nice galvanized HP steel tanks in sizes that are very similar/identical to the PST/OMS tanks. I don't know that galvanized tanks will stop "all corrosion", but the consensus seems to be that they are slightly more durable than the painted tanks. YMMV.

PerroneFord:
"Do to the price of the tanks I wanting to make sure they are a good tank"

I am encouraging the OP to shop around and find some other quality tanks at a more effective price. Perhaps even the very same tanks.

Ok, but that still has nothing to do with the original question. They might be rebranded tanks but that does not mean they are worse off then any other :confused:

xiSkiGuy pretty much summed it up though, he is right on the ball with the OP concerns.

Greg, I see you are still floundering. Tanks are manufactured by OEM's (original equipment manufacturers), not by OMS, Aqualung, Scubapro, XT, Aquaaire, etc. You need to determine which OEM tank you are talking about. The best lead you have so far is that the OMS tank was a PST. This is believable because PST was the original manufacturer of hot dipped galvanized tanks for SCUBA. This type of tank has the most reliable corrosion resistance. There are other coatings used. For example, Faber makes a tank which is spray galvanized and painted. These have fairly good corrosion resistance. Moreover, the Faber is internally coated which can reduce powder rust. For decades, the OMS tank was purchased from Faber and painted with IMRON which is nothing more than lipstick on a bare steel Scuba tank. OMS specialized in buying those Italian made tanks and tripling the price. Now, I am hearing they are searching around for an OEM which will supply them hot dipped galvanized tanks? Little wonder considering the complaints which OMS has received. The OEM, Worthington has tried to capitalize on PST's problems and fill the market gap with their own galvanized line of tanks. Sounds like a good idea to me. You need to ask OMS or an LDS as to the origin of the OMS tank and also as to the type of finish on the steel. Then, you will have a question ready to which this board can reply.

pescador775:
Tamas, I see you are still floundering.

no, not all actually!

pescador775:
Tanks are manufactured by OEM's (original equipment manufacturers), not by OMS, Aqualung, Scubapro, XT, Aquaaire, etc. You need to determine which OEM tank you are talking about. The best lead you have so far is that the OMS tank was a PST. This is believable because PST was the original manufacturer of hot dipped galvanized tanks for SCUBA. This type of tank has the most reliable corrosion resistance. There are other coatings used. For example, Faber makes a tank which is spray galvanized and painted. These have fairly good corrosion resistance. Moreover, the Faber is internally coated which can reduce powder rust. The OMS tank is purchased from Faber and painted with IMRON which is nothing more than lipstick on a bare steel Scuba tank. OMS specialized in buying those Italian made tanks and tripling the price. Now, I am hearing they are searching around for an OEM which will supply them hot dipped galvanized tanks? Little wonder considering the complaints which OMS has received. The OEM, Worthington has tried to capitalize on PST's problems and fill the market gap with their own galvanized line of tanks. Sounds like a good idea to me. You need to ask OMS or an LDS as to the origin of the OMS tank and also as to the type of finish on the steel.

really, you don't say, this is all common knowledge :D

OMS offered Pressed Steel Tank Cylinders-see if they can actually deliver the product, otherwise the only hot dip galvanized cylinder currenly on the market is Worthington.

Tamas:
Ok, but that still has nothing to do with the original question. They might be rebranded tanks but that does not mean they are worse off then any other :confused:

Ok,

But if I was looking at a product, and someone pointed me in the direction of a similar or better product for less money, I'd be kinda thankful. Guess you don't see the point in that.

That's cool.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom