OMS doubles wing too big?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Killer Kelleher

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
New to the boards here and was curious about getting some input about my doubles setup. I'm diving a set of short steel 100s with an older model OMS wing. I'm short about 5'7. I have moved the plate and wing up and down the tanks and still have a real hard time reaching the posts in the water (short arms, can't seem to reach).

I'm thinking that the size of the wing itself (especially inflated) is making it nearly impossible for me to reach the posts. Has anyone else ever had this issue? Tips? Or just a little trial and error? Thanks!

When you are reaching for the posts.... are you trying to keep your elbows close to your head? I see a lot of divers trying to do valve drills and their elbows are out away from the head. Try it with focus on keeping head up( back) and elbows right next to your temples. See if that helps. Also try stretching your shoulders various stretching through out the day. Start loosening up those ligaments

I'm having trouble imagining how the size of the wing would affect one's ability to reach the valves.

Are you using one of those OMS 90# wings? Maybe in that case...

I have an older OMS 60# wing and it works perfectly for me. It certainly doesn't get in between me and reaching my valves.

Thanks for the feedback guys. I've been trying and trying to practice reaching the posts and stretching lol. I think the wing might be an OMS 90 but I'm not exactly sure. Older model with no definitive marks. I'll get some pics of it up tomorrow and see what you guys think.

Stay horizontal, while reaching with one hand towards the valve (elbow close toward your head as stated before) reach with the other hand to the bottom of the other tank and push it upward. Also, if you are practicing this on land it is much harder. Lastly, stretch prior to diving.

Ok this is my set up (1 of 2). I'm a little short and the more i look at it, the more i think the tanks are sagging too low on me instead of the posts being right behind my head. I'm going to try moving the bands again with the wing on and keep stretching! Thanks again guys!

Attachments

• 20180810_131744.jpg
    20180810_131744.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 102
  • 20180810_131737.jpg
    20180810_131737.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 109
Yes, the wing looks very big to me. You tanks look like they are 8" in diameter. They don't look too short to me. I think Worthington HP100s are even slightly shorter. In you case I will probably go with a 45-55lb wing.

What is the lift capacity for your wing? Also keep in mind, bungee is not the solution for too big of wing.

Here are some good tips.....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom