Omni cancun

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiveExtreme22

Contributor
Reaction score
hey all :D

im staying at the omni cancun from August 2-9. on the resort website, there isnt much about diving, so i was wondering to hear about it from a divers prespective...dive spots, safety issues, better suggestions for dive shops, ect. i know there is a dive shop on site, but i would like to hear more about it. any help would be appreciated. :06:

also doing my AOW this weekend at Dutch Springs

I have stayed at the Omni a couple of times,it's a great place,I don't recall a dive op though,they may be partnered with Aquaworld,personally i avoid them they are large op with mass divers if you know what I mean,you'll have a better,more personalized experience by avoiding this senario

I've done about 50 dives in Cancun,it's highly underated,I even try to get over there after a week in Cozumel,Cozumel has lots of great coral structure and better deep dives 80ft.+,but for wildlife I've seen more in Cancun,maybe I'm just lucky.

I always dive with Manta Divers,it's a 15 min. bus ride from the Omni,I leave my gear there for the week,good rental gear if needed, mantadivers.com.they take out only about 6-8 divers,they have 2 small boats,much like Cozumel you back roll off the side.Mimi and John the owners are great folks from Dallas.

Having AOW experience will be helpful for some of my recommendations,but in general most trips are 2 tanks departing at 9:00 am to 50 ft. reefs.

What I like to do.

1. A cenote (cavern) trip (hotel pick up for this one) leaves about 9:00,2 tanks returns ~3:00 after a nice l late lunch in Playa,I highly recommend this,the trip of a lifetime I've dove cenotes maybe 12 times,always a treat 75 deg. ~30 ft.

2. There are 2 nice wreck dives at ~80 ft. decent current,nice penetration,good chance for eagle rays,a good challenging dive at times,best not to do this the first day out.

3. My 2 favorite reef dives are Herradura(horseshoe),and Aristos,great swimthroughs (10-20ft. coral tunnels),nice place for huge loggerhead turtles and nurse sharks(safe),morays,drums,lobster,parrots,porcupine,angels,schools of stripe grunt,at times like an aquarium of variety.both 55 ft.

4.Night dive at Chitalles,25 ft.,can be incredible,lots of lobster,octos,crab and other nocturnal creepie crawlies.

Temps are 79-83 deg. I only use a .5 mm skin at any time of year,but a 3mm full or shorty is common. At cenotes I slip on a 3mm shorty or full over my skin,free from manta.I always go buddyless and meet lots of great people as"pickup" buddies.

You'll have a great time nomatter what you decide. Have Fun!

I am going on my second trip to Cancun the last week of October. Last year I dove with ScubaCancun. There are numberous dive ops around the area. I'm currently trying to schedule a cenote trip with Dennis from www.diablodivers.com. I haven't gotten a response from him, but he was hit dead on by Emily.

I want to dive the cenotes with one of the shops from Playa del Carmen because it seems to be their mainstay. As a backup, I'll probably buy a package from ScubaCancun, since I really like the instructor up there, Ben Mooney. Check out their website as well. www.scubacancun.com.mx

I had three dives on Chitales but it was right after Charles I think. The reef was being held together with zip ties. I'm really stoked about doing a night dive there though.

Happy diving! You can't go wrong with Cancun! :D

Jack

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom