OMG whats up with the Flex hoses???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No. Emphatically... NO!!
First, read the two DAN articles on the topic, in order:
Alert Diver | Invisible Crystals
Alert Diver | Air Hoses: A Closer Look

Brand does NOT mean nothing!! The problems observed are due to the choice of material for the hose liner. If you feel confident that a brand you are purchasing uses polyether-TPU and NOT polyester-TPU, then go ahead and by it. Otherwise steer clear.
Miflex is the only OEM brand I am aware that publicly makes that distinction, and is the only brand that I would buy (or sell). Although the DAN articles do not name any names, either for good or bad, it is fairly obvious that they are referring to Miflex when they say "A well-known European producer of braided hoses, which has always used polyether-TPU, since 2008 has required its materials supplier to certify its polyether-TPU hose linings."

Miflex is now commonly used on various branded regulators, but is rarely specifically called out in product specs. You can always ask, and/or check the stamp on the crimp to know for sure. I have no doubt that some of the major brands used a different supplier in the past, before this issue came to light.
umm.. just gonna say that the on braided hoses from asia never had the problem because they had to make the hoses around Miflex's patent, which specifically called for polyester-TPU inner hose. I pointed that out to them when they threatened to sue me for claiming that they had the patent in the US (they didn't), claiming I was selling in Europe (I wasn't, because they had a EU patent) and then offered not to sue me if I bought all my hoses from them (I didn't and told them exactly how I felt about their "offer" which came across to me as extortion)

I am sure they are using a better inner hose material now, however all the fingers pointed at "knock off" Asian hoses and counterfeit stories were not based in reality.

DGX has this to say about their flex hoses.

"...We've reached out to all our hose suppliers."

full.jpg

Like this????

These hoses are beautiful, but not for the neck and why for OC

umm.. just gonna say that the on braided hoses from asia never had the problem because they had to make the hoses around Miflex's patent, which specifically called for polyester-TPU inner hose. I pointed that out to them when they threatened to sue me for claiming that they had the patent in the US (they didn't), claiming I was selling in Europe (I wasn't, because they had a EU patent) and then offered not to sue me if I bought all my hoses from them (I didn't and told them exactly how I felt about their "offer" which came across to me as extortion)

I am sure they are using a better inner hose material now, however all the fingers pointed at "knock off" Asian hoses and counterfeit stories were not based in reality.
Exactly.
milflex has done a marvelous job deflecting the problem onto "some other" manufactures. And maintaining their "brand" when their materials and hoses were actually the main problem.

You know what doesn't have any of these problems?

Rubber hoses.

Unfortunately, some manufacturers are switching and no longer make rubber hoses available for all regulators. (I was able to special order rubber hoses from Italy for mine last time.)

Just another reason not to use regulators with proprietary fittings.

Yeah; no argument there. If I had a time machine...etc. On the other hand, my Abyss regs have been bulletproof overall. On the third hand, they're getting old, and when I replace them I'd already decided that I'll want standard fittings for just this reason. In the meantime, I have spare rubber hoses for the next few years.

Yeah; no argument there. If I had a time machine...etc. On the other hand, my Abyss regs have been bulletproof overall. On the third hand, they're getting old, and when I replace them I'd already decided that I'll want standard fittings for just this reason. In the meantime, I have spare rubber hoses for the next few years.
I abandoned aqualung regs over that crap.

Baby diver here so still learning.

Started with rubber, thought I should upgrade to MiFlex so I did. Quickly found I hated the stubborness when trying to re-configure for swimming after S-drills and the neck chafing was distracting so I went back to rubber. Rubber routes and lays cleanly and is compliant when manipulating. No protectors, either. Facilitates rapid rinsing and frequent inspection.

For me, problem solved.

If MiFlex do the above for you, then purchase and use with confidence.

I have some "ultraflex" rubber hoses from piranhadivemfg.com that have been working fine for me. Some have mentioned that they are too flexible and can kink, but in my testing I did not see a huge difference in "kinkability" between a regular rubber hose and the ultraflex. They state they have a polyether-TPU inner liner that doesn't have the miflex problem. I'd love to see what divers with more experience think about them.
Ultraflex Hoses

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom