OMG whats up with the Flex hoses???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Max02

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Im looking to upgrade all my First Stage and BC/Drysut Hoses to Flex hoses
Im doing the tech diver configuration; Did some price comparisons on line.
2part question

1. What is the better quality flex hose (xs scub miFlex) ?
2. What is up with the pricing? why so Much?

Am just nieave with the pricing ??

Thanks

I installed cheapest no name brand when I built this

full.jpg

they're much more expensive to make as braiding stiff fibers like that is really annoying, they also have higher failure rates with crimping tools so it makes sense that they'd be more expensive. They're also "the next thing" so they're upcharging quite a bit.
My question to you is why do you want to switch to all flex hoses? Most tech divers I know don't use them, or only have a few on there for specific things. I.e. the only ones I use are on a rebreather where rubber hoses won't work properly. All of my OC stuff uses rubber

Why would you pay extra to downgrade?

I think xs/miflex hoses charge a lot for the name. I guess they think they're the apple of hoses. Maybe they are?

I've used knockoff and genuine hoses. Remember that no matter who you choose you should trash and replace a flex hose after 5 years no matter the appearance. XS/Miflex now come with an insert telling you this.

Also, flex hoses aren't good for the long hose. Flex hoses are very easy to kink, and doing air sharing on a long flex hose is NFG. Found out the hard way, verified it on land later.

XS does sell a "tech flex" which is kind of an in between hose. It's a braided flex hose that is then coated in additional rubber. You get most of the flexibility of a flex hose, and it's easier on your neck (or drysuit seal) if you route that way. They cost more, are slightly less flexible than regular, and still must be replaced every 5 years.

BTW, I still use flex hoses because I think the advantages outweigh the drawbacks. I just presented the information so you can make your own decisions. The only rubber hose I use is the 7' long hose when I'm configured for sidemount.

Im looking to upgrade all my First Stage and BC/Drysut Hoses to Flex hoses
Im doing the tech diver configuration; Did some price comparisons on line.
2part question

1. What is the better quality flex hose (xs scub miFlex) ?
2. What is up with the pricing? why so Much?

Am just nieave with the pricing ??

Thanks

Max...

If you've really got to have braided nylon hoses...buy from DGX...forget about ''brand''...it means nothing...and some of the noted brands...have been the ones with the most problems/recalls...

I've tried them over rubber a few times and always went back to rubber...rubber will route better...it's far more durable...and it will develop a ''memory''...

Best...

Warren...

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom