omg - these are heavy!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cool_hardware - i knew there was a math equation that would change my mind. Thank you.

The 80's might be an advantage if you are over weighted in the HP100's and have no more easily removed ballast.,
You need to also remember what else Tobin (cool_h-ware) said (quoted above), in that a diver can be overweighted in their steel tanks with no other ditchable weight options available, so indeed you may very well find that ALU80's are a LOT lighter than his initial approximation assumes.

The reality for me is that I much prefer twin ALU80's when I am doing a dive that does not need the gas that for instance my 104's can carry. The total weight between the two are significant, and much welcomed.

It might be taken out of context, but I question why your cave instructor says twin ALU80's aren't big enough.

Big enough for what?

A 1/3rd's dives of a set of 104's? Sure I guess that is true, but the reality is they are fine for a 1/3's dive for a set of ALU80's :) I guess you just won't get as far into the cave,.....but so what.

Anybody got double 120's or 130's you can borrow to shlep around before lifting the 100's? Carry something heavier then the 100's feel light :D

lol, ya I do that in reverse. I like to dive the ALU80's as much as I can, so when I hit the 104's it's like,......crap these bees-turds are heavy....

Having a bit of an idea of where and what you dive (I can read you know......) I think you would be a perfect candidate for twin alu80's. You don't really need the minor loss of cubic footage, and my guess is you'd benefit from the reduced over-all weight top-side. (I have seen you in person you know...so I know your rough size).

Dancing lightly around any perceived female issues that one might jump to when concluding anything about a post about their size/weight.......cause you ain't what I would consider heavy :)

If I am in Gilboa in the spring I will bring the twin alu80's along if you want to test drive them, but do not have access to a set. The bonus is as well that twin alu's are a fair bit cheaper than most steel twins. Saving money is always nice.

ber, you can pick yours up off the floor?? that's my problem area. i can't do that. i have a hard time getting them into the back of my little suv (i pick up the valves and knee them onto the bumper, then 'walk' them into the back), but once they're off the floor, i've got 'em.

but putting them into a fill tank from the ground? can't do it. have to get someone to help.

i saw someone once twist into sitting on the ground with her doubles on her back as a graceful way to get them down. i tried it and took out a huge hunk of my drywall...

Yes, I carry them (pick up and carry) by the valves to the back of the car then basically squat/kneel with one foot beside them, tilt them away from me, bear hug them then rock back to where my weight is centered over my legs and lift in one smooth motion. (Hard to explain but the momentum seems to help me) If I need to raise them higher once I get them up I rest the bottoms on my body (legs or hips) and shimmy my arms down as far as I need to.

The first time I took them out of the car I wasn't sure how to put them down because there's not a lot of room to grab the valves and get your hands out of my HHR intact. I put them on and knelt down near where I wanted to set them (helped to have a wall to put my hand on) then contorted my body to set them the rest of the way down. Won't be doing that again LOL!

Having a bit of an idea of where and what you dive (I can read you know......) I think you would be a perfect candidate for twin alu80's. You don't really need the minor loss of cubic footage, and my guess is you'd benefit from the reduced over-all weight top-side. (I have seen you in person you know...so I know your rough size).

Dancing lightly around any perceived female issues that one might jump to when concluding anything about a post about their size/weight.......cause you ain't what I would consider heavy :)

Whatchoo sayin? Little chicks can't manage big ol' heavy tanks? Dat dem's is toys for big boys only? :eyebrow: (kidding BTW :wink:)

You're right, the loss of cubic footage is a non-issue for me since I don't do extensive penetration dives, I don't do deco dives plus most of my buddies are on single 80's. Once the 100's are on I don't really notice the weight difference between them and a single 80, even on the stairs. Might be because the weight of the 100's is resting on my hips rather than my shoulders plus with an AL80 I carry 26-28 pounds in my harness with the drysuit.

If I am in Gilboa in the spring I will bring the twin alu80's along if you want to test drive them, but do not have access to a set. The bonus is as well that twin alu's are a fair bit cheaper than most steel twins. Saving money is always nice.

I appreciate the offer and would love to try them! DiverBrian sold me his Genesis HP100's complete with bands and manifold for a price I couldn't refuse. I get along with those tanks better than I did with my buddy's 100's; I can't remember what kind his are but he says they are lighter than the ones I bought. I'm only slightly negative in my 100's when they are at 600psi which makes me wonder if I would need lead with double 80's.
Ber :lilbunny:

Whatchoo sayin? Little chicks can't manage big ol' heavy tanks? Dat dem's is toys for big boys only? :eyebrow: (kidding BTW :wink:)

I appreciate the offer and would love to try them! DiverBrian sold me his Genesis HP100's complete with bands and manifold for a price I couldn't refuse. I get along with those tanks better than I did with my buddy's 100's; I can't remember what kind his are but he says they are lighter than the ones I bought. I'm only slightly negative in my 100's when they are at 600psi which makes me wonder if I would need lead with double 80's.

OK it's a tentative date. We usually go the May long weekend (for us Canadians it's about the 24th if you recall from this year).

Not sure if we are going next year as it's a bit of a drive and kinda pricey, but it's a decent place to work on skills.

As far as little-chicks vs. big boys,............I think I'm bordering on that line a tad too close for my liking, but this is life. Once I don the 104's add a alu80 stage and a couple 40's, my twigs are about ready to snap.........lol.

That's why we clip the singles on in the water :wink: There's no hero's around here.

Well chivalry is almost dead but if I were your buddy I would carry your tanks for you. I would Lay my exposure suit down over puddles as you walked ahead of me & and I would bravely fend off great white sharks with my large knife.

if the weight of doubles is a serious issue have you considered sidemount? That way you only ever have to carry one tank at a time.

OK it's a tentative date. We usually go the May long weekend (for us Canadians it's about the 24th if you recall from this year).
I usually dive with my AOW class the third weekend in May at Gilboa so I may already be in the area. We'll figure it out when time gets closer, again thanks for the offer!

As far as little-chicks vs. big boys,............I think I'm bordering on that line a tad too close for my liking, but this is life. Once I don the 104's add a alu80 stage and a couple 40's, my twigs are about ready to snap.........lol.

That's why we clip the singles on in the water :wink: There's no hero's around here.
LOL! No point carrying all that heavy stuff at once :wink:

I put almost 4 more hours on the 100's this weekend and actually figured out how to get out of the harness without help by the end of the weekend!

I will probably need the weight of the hundreds - to avoid having to wear additional weight with al 80's. (when the tanks get empty.) Also, i aint scurred of doing penetration dives. So, the bigger the better. - but i am NOT interested in anyting bigger than 100's. (unless going sidemount)

And as for side mount - LOVE IT. I got to demo the nomad on saturday. In time, In time.... I am just not there yet - in terms of experience.

I talked to my dive buddy - and we decided that we would help each other carry the hundreds - but i have a feeling that it might be harder than it sounds.

In the mean time, i will try to keep guys like patymeboy around 8).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom