omg - these are heavy!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Are these X Series 100's or the older hp100's? If the later, you could get 8-10 pounds off you back with the newer design. BIG IF, you don't need the negativety of the older style for bouyancy concerns.

oh, and my dive buddy and i are almost always within a hundred pounds of each other. But she handles the hundreds better than i do. she would laugh at me if i mentioned going to 80's.
You may get some ideas talking to Heather (ChickDiver) here on the board. she has her own way of handling heavy sets of doubles.

Anybody got double 120's or 130's you can borrow to shlep around before lifting the 100's? Carry something heavier then the 100's feel light :D

Seriously though I stand mine up then bear hug them to pick them up from the floor so I can use my legs for the lifting. Mine are Genesis 100's and I weighed them with 1500 psi (out of 3500psi) left in them and they were 94 pounds. I keep my harness on them whenever I want to move them from the car (I have a Chevy HHR so can sit and don them) to a picnic table, etc. because fastening them around my waist makes them feel like part of my body and I don't even notice they are there.

My buddy is very much a gentleman and doesn't like to see me walking around with them. One day he annoyed me with the "sit there you weak little girl, I'll bring your mask/gloves/etc to you" mentality. He stepped out of sight to grab something and I trotted over with 100's on my back and bear-hugged his 100's and carried them from the tailgate to the picnic table :D He's old and doesn't need to be schlepping those heavy things around :rofl3:
Ber :lilbunny:

I have been borrowing double HP 100's - and find them to be annoyingly heavy - especially for those long walks....

ok, so i AM a chic....but not a sissy.

My (cave) instructor says double 80's arent big enough. And that i have to buy hundreds.

and how much less do they (double 80's) weigh?
how much do hundreds weigh?

How am i supposed to lift them up on to my tail gate when they get filled?
I hate asking for help, but dont want to carry them.

maybe i AM a sissy. :(

It is a bit of a misconception that al tanks are "lighter", if you consider your total weighting requirements.

Worthington HP 100's weigh 33 lbs each empty, and will be about 41 lbs full. They are -2.5 lbs each when empty or -5 lbs total.

Lux 80's weigh about 31 lbs each empty, and will be about 38 lbs each full, but they are about +4 lbs each when empty. That will require that you carry another 13 lbs of ballast (4 vs -2.5) x2 to match the buoyancy characteristics of the HP100's.

Looking at just tanks and gas

HP100 = 41 x 2 = 82 lbs

AL 80's = 38 x 2 = 76 lbs

76 + 13 lbs extra ballast = 89!

In short the 80's require you carry more weight in and out of the water, and "cost" you 40 cuft. The 80's might be an advantage if you are over weighted in the HP100's and have no more easily removed ballast.

These numbers are approximate, and will change a bit from salt to fresh water, but the concept remains valid.

Tobin

... Heather (ChickDiver) ... has her own way of handling heavy sets of doubles.
Legendary. :wink:

But she's gotten smart and put a rebreather between them. :D

cool_hardware - i knew there was a math equation that would change my mind. Thank you.

how do i quote from other peoples posts?

I just commited to diving ginnie in two weeks - in order to keep up the endurance training that comes with shlepping those things around!! And i will bring a guy friend along to help out when i get fills :wink: (just in case, of course)

how do i quote from other peoples posts?

Click on the quote button at the bottom of the post you want to quote and trim out the parts you aren't answering (makes things neater that way). Make sure you don't remove anything in the [ ] that's the code that makes the quote work :wink:

If you want to quote multiple people hit the multi quote (mquote) button on the bottom of the first posts you want to quote and then hit the regular quote button on the final post you want to quote. Again, don't remove anything in the [ ] and don't type in there either :wink: You can put replies between quotes by typing after the last bracket in the brackets that contain the phrase /quote.

Hope this makes some sense! You can also type the bracketed stuff in instead of using the quote button once you get the hang of what the code looks like.
Ber :lilbunny:

ber, you can pick yours up off the floor?? that's my problem area. i can't do that. i have a hard time getting them into the back of my little suv (i pick up the valves and knee them onto the bumper, then 'walk' them into the back), but once they're off the floor, i've got 'em.

but putting them into a fill tank from the ground? can't do it. have to get someone to help.

i saw someone once twist into sitting on the ground with her doubles on her back as a graceful way to get them down. i tried it and took out a huge hunk of my drywall...

Back
Top Bottom