omg - these are heavy!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mynamehere

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have been borrowing double HP 100's - and find them to be annoyingly heavy - especially for those long walks....

ok, so i AM a chic....but not a sissy.

My (cave) instructor says double 80's arent big enough. And that i have to buy hundreds.

and how much less do they (double 80's) weigh?
how much do hundreds weigh?

How am i supposed to lift them up on to my tail gate when they get filled?
I hate asking for help, but dont want to carry them.

maybe i AM a sissy. :(

How about a rolling luggage carrier of some sort? Or a lightweight two wheel dolly, or shoot iy you have a truck, get a nice big one with off road wheels.

As for lifting, look into one of those wheelchair lifts you see in the backs of pickups. That would most certainly work.

I can come up with a thousand ideas, let me know if you need anything else.

The hp100's from worthington are within a pound of an aluminum 80 so about 35lbs empty.

The hp80's from worthington are around 28-29 lbs empty IIRC.

lifting from the gound to a tailgate is a big mass to be doing. Generally we plan our transits like this:

Open tailgate before heading into shop to make sure there is a spot on the table at the fill station.

Bring doubles set in by putting arms through harness and carrying in front of us.

Set on table. remove plate and take with.
Then when picking up, we make sure tailgate is down-->go in and complete transaction-->put plate on tanks and schlep to truck.

This system may or may not work for everyone, but it does for us.

also, once you get through class you might find a constant buddy who has a similar sac/rmv and also wishes to wear 80s/85s. so you only have to 'suck it up' through class and if your buddy wants to dive big tanks.

I've actually found my double HP100's to be less heavy as time goes by. I use the folding handcart.

Back
Top Bottom