Olympic PT-015 O ring maintenance

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DavidG

Contributor
Reaction score
My (corporate filtered) web connection does not allow me to link to this page so I can not guarentee that it is the most current version. However, some time back I wrote an article for the folks on Digital diver that detailed both the specifications of the O rings for the Oly Pt-015 housing and a step by step (with pictures) process of servicing them. My current word document which I keep updating with new information is something like 726k (with the pictures) and starts off with a review of the housing. Further into the text is a section titled Repair notes that offers a step by step process. At the end of the document should be a listing of the small o rings and some suppliers. My only hope that this helps prevent frustration, and un-necessary failures.

http://www.digitaldiver.net/lib_docs/PT--015_service.pdf

Thanks, David. I've read your article several times since you posted it to DD, it's most excellent! One of these days, when I get a good number of dives on my PT-15, I plan to do this. Luckily I scored ones of the sets of o-rings that Rick (on DD) offered a while back.

Yes, I have two sets also but already need to find some more of the problematic tiny ones. PS, glad to hear the silicone trick worked for you. I don't know if it's in the article or not but for those who read this, when you store the housing between trips, it's a good idea to remove the large O rings (from the door and back), clean them and store them in the housing. Also take some Food grade silicone liquid spray and use a sewing needle to place a drop onto the button SS shafts and let it run down onto the o ring (just one drop as you don't want to thin out the silicone jelly). It keeps the o rings from sticking following that period of storage. If you use the aerosol can instead of the pump, spray it into the cap and let it sit for 2-3 hours so the propellent evaporates. If not, it might harm the rubber as it evaporates.

I had a very small syringe that worked much better at dropping one drop of the spray silicone into thise tiny slots on the button areas.

Dee:
I had a very small syringe that worked much better at dropping one drop of the spray silicone into thise tiny slots on the button areas.

Great stuff. I have to save this in my files. Thanx, Good Viz, George

DavidG:
My (corporate filtered) web connection does not allow me to link to this page so I can not guarentee that it is the most current version. However, some time back I wrote an article for the folks on Digital diver that detailed both the specifications of the O rings for the Oly Pt-015 housing and a step by step (with pictures) process of servicing them. My current word document which I keep updating with new information is something like 726k (with the pictures) and starts off with a review of the housing. Further into the text is a section titled Repair notes that offers a step by step process. At the end of the document should be a listing of the small o rings and some suppliers. My only hope that this helps prevent frustration, and un-necessary failures.

http://www.digitaldiver.net/lib_docs/PT--015_service.pdf

This doc (and lots of other good stuff) is part of the Oly Useful Links manual prepared for the So Cal Oly Users Group (can be found here.)

K

Hi David, I just now got a chance to read this most-excellent post. What a true help this will be as I truly had worrisome issues with those tiny rings on my PT 015. Thanks to you I will be able to get the necessary supplies and service my housing before disaster hits. Thanks so very much for your explanations, directions and pics with the article.

Reading this thread - and justleesa's 'dribble' thread - I would like to do this liquid silicone thing to my housing. In Japan I can't find liquid silicone - but I have found silicone spray (saw it today at the LDS where we get air fills) - I presume from reading this thread that spray silicone is acceptable? Now for my probably dumb questions!
1. "Spray it into a cap so that the propellant evaporates" - I presume by this you mean into some other container first - like a bottle top. Does it stay liquid enough? I can't really imagine that given what silicon is for they would mix it with something that is bad for the o-rings - I thought that was one of the main purposes of silicon lubricant - o-ring lubrication. I'm really not sure about this though so if you definitely know that the spray is bad for o-rings could you confirm this for me?
2. Which side of the buttons are you applying the silicon - from the outside of the case or from the inside?

Yes, spray into a separate container and wait a while for any propellant to evaporate before using on your o-rings. The propellant in the silicone spray will damage your o-rings by dissolving in the material, making it swell and get soft.

I apply the silicone to the outside shaft of the buttons.

Jim's right about the propellant distroying o-rings. Years ago I was cleaning all the o-rings in our dive lights, getting ready for a trip. Figuring I could hurry the process, I laid all the o-rings out and gave them a good spray with aerosol silicone. In less than 48 hours the damage was noticeable and every light had to be replaced or rebuilt. Silicone has many more uses than just lubricating o-rings so I guess the manufacturerers *assume* you know when and when not to use the spray.

Leisure Pro has some pump silicone by Aquaseal.

Back
Top Bottom