Old Wetsuit Disposal

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

geogator

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
This is probably a silly question but I'll ask it anyway and risk the humiliation. What do you do with an old wetsuit that is worn out and falling apart? Can neoprene be recycled somehow and if so, where? Just curious - pitching a big piece neoprene in the regular garbage just seems wrong somehow and I don't think it would ever biodegrade. Thanks.

I have used old suits to make patches for other ones with aquaseal. Also used them to pad tanks for transport. Just need to think outside the box. As you said, it's no longer a suit. It's a big piece of neoprene.

Cutting thighs into strips (like calamari rings) make for good hoses retainers on cylinders.

I use pieces for cushioning on my workbench.it also minimizes small part losses from rolling off the table.

When mine falls apart I'm going to hack it up and glue it to the new wetsuit. I'd love to have a couple pockets to tuck a slate into or other such thing.

The material can be handy for arts and crafts if it does not reek of pee. Other than that it's rubbish.

Neoprene is handy stuff - I do a lot of sewing and crafts and generally making things, and I've used up the material from several old wetsuits for various projects. I've bought it by the yard when I didn't have enough old wetsuit and it's not cheap.

My kindle is in a case made from an old wetsuit. We have some of those foam blocks used to support a kayak on a vehicle roof, and they needed to be taller - 3 layers of an old 7mm and some Goop took care of it. I've got a wine bottle cozie, like a giant beer cozie. (I know what you're thinking, but that one was made from new neoprene.:wink:) All sorts of stuff. If you're not a maker type, neoprene simply makes great padding. If you cut the suit up into tidy hunks, getting rid of any yucky parts, it makes it easier to store until you need it for something.

All great ideas everyone and thanks for the input!! I too have kayak racks on my car, as well as on a separate trailer and hadn't thought of covering them with the neoprene. (I usually use a few pieces of cheap foam pipe insulation from Lowes.) The wine bottle koozie is another great one, as well as tank covers to keep them from banging against each other when transporting them in the car. Any other ideas are welcome.

Back
Top Bottom