Newbie layering question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NovaCane

Contributor
Reaction score
This may be a silly question but here it goes anyways...

I have a tight fitting 3mm shorty that I would like to combine with a neutrally buoyant long-sleeved top for additional warmth. However, all the recommendations I find mention wearing them under the wetsuit, but I doubt I can fit anything between me and the neoprene. Will the shirt still do its job if worn over the shorty?

This may be a silly question but here it goes anyways...

I have a tight fitting 3mm shorty that I would like to combine with a neutrally buoyant long-sleeved top for additional warmth. However, all the recommendations I find mention wearing them under the wetsuit, but I doubt I can fit anything between me and the neoprene. Will the shirt still do its job if worn over the shorty?

I don’t see why not, I’ve seen people put a shorty over a full wetsuit for core warmth. I’d assume it’d still work similarly the other way around.

3mm neoprene is really stretchy. If it fits comfortably without a shirt underneath, I'll betcha it will fit just fine with the shirt underneath.

Layering neoprene is not as effective IMO as is layering clothing. But, still, if it slows water transfer then it will be somewhat effective. It would be best to get a full suit of the required thickness for the expected temperature. A rash guard or additional neoprene (vest) will provide better thermal protection.

Under, as it limits the water movement. I doubt over will help noticeably.

Movement of water inside the suit is the reason why suit has to be fit especially under the arm.
A thermal under the suit usually help but over it? I have doubt about it.
Give it a try.

Thanks all for the feedback. I should have clarified, the nb long sleeved shirt in question would be sharkskin chillproof/exowear/thermocline or something of the like.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom