Old jet fins vs New jet fins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Getting back to Jetfins, as most people know, there are currently two versions sold by SP: USA made (to comply with military contracts?) black with rubber straps; and Taiwanese made (cheaper production) with spring straps and various colors. SP says the rubber compound used is the same in both but the US version definitely seems softer. Hard to tell a difference in the water.

US made ones have (had?) a lifetime warranty if you have proof of purchase. Taiwanese ones have a one year warranty.

Why did you choose Eddy over Slipstream?

If you were asking me Andrew, I did not, I have both. But to try and answer your question as to why I give the nod to the Eddy over the Slipstream is the foot box. If you look at my photo you can see that the Jet and the Slipstream have a similar shape to the box opening, the Quattro and Eddy likewise are similar to one another. I love my Quattros and part of the reason I like them is that the foot box extends well under the foot whereas the Jet and Slipstream (slightly less so) tend to sit under my arch. The Eddy frog kicks better than the Quattro and is slightly more precise than the Quattro, the Quattro is faster and flutter kicks better than the Eddy but not as precise when maneuvering. Both do all kicks well and maneuver well and both are excellent all arounders. If that helps.

James

@Nemrod , yup I was asking you :) Thank you for your perspective :D I also enjoy more foot box space that extends further towards my heel than stopping at the arch.

The hole at the end of the eddy...I presume to be for clipping off...is nice...but...my mind still says that I am losing energy each kick, however small, and that is annoying. Perhaps, I just need to give it a try and fuggetaboutit :wink:

@Nemrod , yup I was asking you :) Thank you for your perspective :D I also enjoy more foot box space that extends further towards my heel than stopping at the arch.

The hole at the end of the eddy...I presume to be for clipping off...is nice...but...my mind still says that I am losing energy each kick, however small, and that is annoying. Perhaps, I just need to give it a try and fuggetaboutit :wink:

I am with you on the holes. I paid for a whole fin, not a fin with a hole in it :wink:. What the hole is for other than a fashion statement is beyond me, clipping off, to what? Hanging on a nail, why? Beats me. But, the good news is the hole has no affect on performance of the fin. I would say if you want the Eddy, and they seem to be currently in stock, I think, do not fret over the hole, it is nothing of consequence.

James

Some folks use a D-ring attachment to secure their fins while they enter and exit heavy surf to keep their hands free as you can take a wave and drop a fin if you get taken off balance. While you could use the strap, not all of these fins have adequate drain holes so you would be carrying foot pockets full of water. Having the hole at the tip ensures they hold no water as you exit the surf. Rocket II fins also have a hole at the back if you prefer that side. I use jet fins and just carry them through the surf but clipping off a rocket fin might be easier.

Yeah, I use a small length of paracord on one of my jet fins....with a double end bolt snap that passes through the other fin...and clipped off to my left shoulder D-ring when entering/exiting the water. This is where I thought those holes might be for clipping off the fins....

Also, I did drill drain holes into my jet fins' foot pockets...but...it only drains OK...I still dump them out before clipping them off lol

My question as one who has the XXL and XL Jets from 15 years ago and still going strong and a set of XL Hollis F1s is..

Do all these fins overall have the same size foot hole or... pocket? Going from the XL to XXL (Jet Fin) is quite a jump. Is there a fin that has hole in between the 2 sizes and is a Jet fin knockoff?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom