old diver new tricks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

skubacat

Reaction score
# of dives
I have been diving and teaching new divers for years. I am interested in starting a training agency that doesnt stop at scuba. For example I also teach kung fu as well as kayaking. Do you think there is room for another agency, maybe one with tighter standards. I would like to recruit all kinds of instructors to make a one stop shop for sports outside the standard athletic world. What do you think.

Kung Fu scuba, no thanks... Do one thing and do it well. The odds from my point of view of finding somebody that wants to learn "multiple things" and spend the extra money for is slim. I am sure it sounds interesting, but if you also plan to improve skills and training levels, it is also going to cost more, a fact of life. I applaud your enthusiasm though... There probably is room for more agencies, however, I have no idea what it would take to become 'accredited'. You might consider contact some of the folks in Q and A for Scuba Certification Agencies - ScubaBoard on an individual basis and get some basic information and so on.. Good Luck :sharkattack:

Thanks for your input. I didnt figure I would get many cross over students. If you were looking to start a new activity would you be more comfortable with an agency you all ready knew or would a new agency all togeather be better

hey, if you have the time and money to open a facility that will allow for multiple 'hobbies' or what ever you want to call them, have at it. just make sure you're organized so you don't end up with people trying to pull kung fu on a shark while jumpin off of a kayak ontop of divers already under the water.

i'm going into teaching and i think any place that is willing to offer programs for people to learn new things is awesome.

I have to imagine that just starting an agency would have to be a fairly monumental task. The only practical reason would be if your agency would be taught at other shops, etc. That being said, programs would have to be developed, from beginner to trainer, etc. It would be a huge task, and investment. Once you get that worked out, now you would need to market it.

Assuming you made it over those hurdles, now you need to integrate it into your other sports. I think if integration is your goal, I would use an existing agency. The other consideration is if you just plan to do it at your own place, or if you want to develop programs other businesses might adopt. While it might be a great idea, how many dive shops have you been in, that have the space for Kung Fu or kayaking? Likewise how many Kung Fu places have room for Scuba... Who will be your target audience, what ages, etc. The youngest for scuba is presently 10, except for the non-diving aspects (PADI bubble blowers for example).

It sounds like you are just doing this for your own business, 1 location etc. That being said, it's a great idea to try you never know. Anyway sounds like it could be some fun for somebody.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom