Unknown Oklahoma couple missing - Matagorda, Texas

This Thread Prefix is for incidents when the cause is not known.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

36 hours of drifting. It's great that they managed to stay together. I'd go crazy drifting that long alone but what do you talk about for that long? Well, I don't guess they could talk long without water. There has to be a movie in the works by now. I thought this article gave a good description...

EDMOND, Okla. (CNN Newsource/KOCO/WKRC) - An Oklahoma couple is safe and recovering after going missing while scuba diving off the coast of Texas.

It was truly a miracle at sea.

In total, the couple spent more than a day floating in the water, desperately waiting to be rescued, and on Friday morning, they were.

"People don't survive that and not have a story to tell," said Lisa Shearin, who was on the boat with the couple.

It was 36 hours of searching and 38 hours in the water for Kim and Nathan Maker. It all started when the couple was diving with a group in the ocean. According to a diver who was on the boat with them, others had made it back to the boat but saw Nathan and Kim drifting.

When the group went to get the couple, they were already gone.

"The rain was so hard that you couldn't see outside," said Shearin. "It stormed and the winds were atrocious; the waves were atrocious."

"A huge swell comes in and engulfs Kim and Nathan. When the swell rolls out, they are nowhere to be found," said Charles Owen, family of Nathan and Kim.

But no matter how bad the storms were, that didn't stop the other divers from searching for their missing friends.

"It wasn't like, 'Hey guys, do you have anything better to do tomorrow?' It was like, 'We're staying out and we're looking," said Shearin.

The divers eventually had to leave, unsure of what would happen. Luckily, that's when the Coast Guard took over the search, but after a day with no luck, the family said they were starting to lose hope of a happy ending.

"We determined that we were probably going to end the search this morning if they didn't find anything last night," said Owen.

But Nathan and Kim's family said they prayed and that their prayers were answered. Nathan and Kim were spotted by a plane flying over the gulf.

"They take their dive flashlights and start signaling their SOS signal to that plane," said Owen.

The Coast Guard then sent a ship to rescue the couple just eight hours before the family said the search was going to be called off.

"You know it was God performing a miracle. Using the Coast Guard's eyes and ears and their technology. That's what saved them at the last minute," said Owen.

Throughout the storm and the hours of uncertainty, the couple never left each other's side.

"Even when the swell came over, they found them together," said Owen.

"They have a greater purpose, obviously. God truly did spare them," said Shearin.

The couple is now recovering in a Texas hospital. They suffered from jellyfish stings and dehydration. Family members said that Nathan was nearly in a diabetic coma when he was rescued. Both divers are expected to fully recover.

36 hours of drifting. It's great that they managed to stay together. I'd go crazy drifting that long alone but what do you talk about for that long? Well, I don't guess they could talk long without water. There has to be a movie in the works by now. I thought this article gave a good description...

Well, they ARE married and it was raining like the dickens.

I can talk to Mel for 36 hours, if I didn;t she would gut me.

Besides, I'm pretty sure we'd need to talk each other off the cliff multiple times over 36 hours.

@Dan yes, further out but iirc the itineraries generally do the first check dive on the way out? so going missing on Friday would coincide for the timeline

@Dan yes, further out but iirc the itineraries generally do the first check dive on the way out? so going missing on Friday would coincide for the timeline
Flower Gardens charters leave the dock between 7 and 9 PM Friday night and steam through the night to arrive on the West bank between 06 and 07 Saturday. First dive between 07 and 08.

It's big boy diving, there are no "checkout dives".

This was definitely not a Flower Gardens charter.

Saved by carrying a dive light. Recently I think it was off the North Carolina coast someone was saved by carrying an SMB.

Thank you Coast Guard for saving these fellow divers.

I think it might be better to rely on a PLB, rather than God. 🤔
I'm sure they were praying. Rely on our skills but there is no harm in praying or asking God for help. Don't be so quick to discount that. Nathan was on the verge of a diabetic coma. To be diabetic, not have eaten or taken your medication and exerted a lot of energy for 36 hours is a miracle.

As @Wookie said, the itinerary doesn’t jive with MV Fling’s itinerary. I live 15-minute drive away from MV Spree (Wookie’s old boat) used to dock & went a few times with him to Flower Garden Banks.

Both good tools to carry but if you seriously want to be found, carry a PLB. I don't leave home without mine.
Please do not turn this thread into a PLB thread.

Flower Gardens charters leave the dock between 7 and 9 PM Friday night and steam through the night to arrive on the West bank between 06 and 07 Saturday. First dive between 07 and 08.

It's big boy diving, there are no "checkout dives".

This was definitely not a Flower Gardens charter.
I can confirm, they were on the Fling.

Back
Top Bottom