OK to Bounce Dive to 220 Fsw as...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

To me, it sounds like this might be taken out of context or it was only part of a conversation the OP heard. I doubt any instructor would advocate such a practice. Instructors often will provide examples of unsafe diving practices in order to create a better understanding of diving, physics, physiology or even safe and unsafe diving practices themselves. I often present students with extremes to foster a better understanding of the topic that I'm trying to convey. As an example, I was trying to sucker two Triox students this past weekend into making a stage drop in a poor location to see if their smarts would override my "suggestion" once underwater. Anyone listening to me at the time would think that I advocated dropping stage bottles on the deck of a wreck rather than teaching to always carry them or to only drop stage/deco bottles in a secure location on the exit if absolutely necessary. A diver listening to me obviously did not approve. I felt compelled to explain the situation to that diver out of earshot of my students. Despite the OP's presence, I am sure the bounce dive wasn't advocated nor suggested and was part of a larger discussion.

Unfortunately we had an instructor up here in Puget Sound actually doing 200ft bounces on Al80s of air with his AOW students. ("accident' report is here somewhere). Bottom line... One diver didn't come back and Grateful among others were forceful enough with NAUI to get his instructor rating removed in less than a week.

Buyer beware, there really are instructors out there dumb enough and macho enough to actually propose an up and down bounces to stupid depths on air with completely inadeqate gas reserves.

To me, it sounds like this might be taken out of context or it was only part of a conversation the OP heard. I doubt any instructor would advocate such a practice. Instructors often will provide examples of unsafe diving practices in order to create a better understanding of diving, physics, physiology or even safe and unsafe diving practices themselves. I often present students with extremes to foster a better understanding of the topic that I'm trying to convey. As an example, I was trying to sucker two Triox students this past weekend into making a stage drop in a poor location to see if their smarts would override my "suggestion" once underwater. Anyone listening to me at the time would think that I advocated dropping stage bottles on the deck of a wreck rather than teaching to always carry them or to only drop stage/deco bottles in a secure location on the exit if absolutely necessary. A diver listening to me obviously did not approve. I felt compelled to explain the situation to that diver out of earshot of my students. Despite the OP's presence, I am sure the bounce dive wasn't advocated nor suggested and was part of a larger discussion.

I would like to hear the side of the instructor in question. This is the same point I brought up. I was wondering if the statement could have been taken out of context. :confused:

Any diver with proper training would also has the proper equipment and wouldnt consider the dive on a single 80

So then at a minimum, what would you consider the proper training and proper equipment to be able to safely do this dive?

So then at a minimum, what would you consider the proper training and proper equipment to be able to safely do this dive?

144'?
I'm currently in an Intro to Tech. I want to be able to do the deeper dives safely. Our max depth is 140' wearing doubles and a 50% deco bottle. I could do 144' with no issues.
220'? that's tri-mix and more training.

OK to Bounce Dive to 220 Fsw as...

Sure, go for it, this thread is far too intellectual and tedious to read. It's your decision to make and your risk to take.

Last edited:
At the first page, one said go into deco on a bounce to 220', I have made it to 220' on air and back with no deco numerous times. Found a new wall on my Island and will do a bounce dive tomarrow morn to check out, I am thinkin like 255' and I will try to do it without deco, But I go down extremly fast, and come up to a hundred extremely fast, has always work just fine for me. Now take in mind I have over 170 hours of deep diving this year, and If I do not make it back from tomarrows dive, no biggie, If I do I have another wall to put many, many hours on, that know one has a clue where it is.

Happy Diving and thanksgiving to all

At the first page, one said go into deco on a bounce to 220', I have made it to 220' on air and back with no deco numerous times. Found a new wall on my Island and will do a bounce dive tomarrow morn to check out, I am thinkin like 255' and I will try to do it without deco, But I go down extremly fast, and come up to a hundred extremely fast, has always work just fine for me. Now take in mind I have over 170 hours of deep diving this year, and If I do not make it back from tomarrows dive, no biggie, If I do I have another wall to put many, many hours on, that know one has a clue where it is.

Happy Diving and thanksgiving to all

If you are going exploring, why don't stay down longer and really check it out?

Most folks that I know that have watched this pretty much think it was staged.

Someone tracked down the guy that made the video, and there's a thread somewhere around here where he discusses it. If it is a fake, it's pretty elaborate.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom