Oily bikini lady in rebreather ad

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nereas:
Take a look at Chickdiver's avatar.

What do you see?

You don't see a bikini with the CCR.

This is my whole point, and it is consistent with Thal's arguments as well.

Chickdiver hath thus spoken with 1000 words.:D

No, not on THAT DAY. However, I have recently dived in exactly that way (bikini and a CCR). What does it matter? I don't see how the choice of exposure protection or apparel is in any way relevant to the diving of a CCR.

I re-iterate... PLEASE PULL THE LIFE SUPPORT ON THIS THREAD!

quite interesting to see how the thread sprung back to life after mike s' post. :D

i agree with Kim.

the purpose of the ad was brand awareness (it wasn't aiming for an immediate purchase from a considerable group of people who saw it). and sex sells, much so to men than women (agree with kim again; boy's toys are advertised this way- from liquor to motorcycle to deodorant!); that is why it is a very effective medium to advertise products like this because people will always notice.

that is how everybody got into talking about it in the first place.

Kim:
Sex sells. That's what's right, and wrong with the ad - it's sexist. Stop trying to turn it around and blame it on someone else.

What frightens me is that a company making something so sophisticated as a rebreather is quite obviously playing to an audience that......how can I phrase this.....dunno......is swayed by such images. (be they feminine breasts OR masculine pecs!)

Of course - boy's toys have traditionally been sold like that - and that's the REAL insult. They obviously aren't aiming for the ladies market with her!

errr... maybe i should have just said.... " i second the motion!"

:laughing:

Kim:
Sex sells. That's what's right, and wrong with the ad - it's sexist. Stop trying to turn it around and blame it on someone else.

Sexist is NOT the same as Sexy. :blinking:

I think you mean sexy, which means attractive. Would you rather have the company represent themselves with overweight, unattractive divers? Maybe a 450lbs man in a speedo! :eyebrow:

Sexist or Sexism is commonly considered to be discrimination and/or hatred against people based on their sex rather than their individual merits. So in your opinion a company that choses to use an attractive diver from one of their training classes who happens to be a Sexy female is a form of Sexism? I disagree.

BTW, as mentioned earlier in the thread, the woman in question is NOT a model, rather a KISS customer.

Kim:
What frightens me is that a company making something so sophisticated as a rebreather is quite obviously playing to an audience that is swayed by such images.

The purpose of advertising is to catch the attention of the consumer, and to make them aware that the product exists. I certainly did not know about KISS. Now I do.

Check out their website.

KISS PDF:
"Participation in rebreather diving can result in serious injury or death to you, the diver!

The warning on the rebreather is not a joke. Before beginning your dive you must consider the risks involved. The rebreather consists of hundreds of parts.All of these components will eventually fail. Careful maintenance, assembly,and testing will not prevent this from happening. At best it will delay the failure.The rebreather is not automatic in any way. It requires constant monitoring, a complete awareness of the potential problems likely to be encountered, and full knowledge of how to deal with whatever problem may arise. If you do not have adequate training, equipment, physical condition, and proper mindset don’t get in the water.

They are the real deal despite what some think of their add. It's the first rebreather I've seen selling for sub 5K, so they have my attention.

rhadamantus:
the purpose of the ad was brand awareness (it wasn't aiming for an immediate purchase from a considerable group of people who saw it). and sex sells, much so to men than women (agree with kim again; boy's toys are advertised this way- from liquor to motorcycle to deodorant!); that is why it is a very effective medium to advertise products like this because people will always notice.

that is how everybody got into talking about it in the first place.

**Gasp**

Jetsam, who makes the KISS Rebreather, even has more Bikini Pics with their Rebreather on their website!

http://www.jetsam.ca/gallery/BIKINI/BIKINI.html

This is just to show you that the implication of a girl in a bikini will draw people in. ie. Sex Sells. Even if it's just implied.

chickdiver:
No, not on THAT DAY. However, I have recently dived in exactly that way (bikini and a CCR). What does it matter? I don't see how the choice of exposure protection or apparel is in any way relevant to the diving of a CCR.

I re-iterate... PLEASE PULL THE LIFE SUPPORT ON THIS THREAD!

If I saw 2 ads for CCRs, one like Chickdivers avatar, and the other like the oily lady in the bikini, I would want to know what brand CCR Chickdiver was using, and I would not take another look at the other ad, since I don't wear bikinis.

I would also be interested in Chickdivers other gear as well: her drysuit, her regs on the bailouts, her lights, etc.

Chickdiver's avatar is professional and attractive. Her nice friendly, beautiful smile makes it look like she is having fun. I simply do not believe you need to display your goods in a bikini as the only way to look like you are having fun. I think Thal was right-on about that.

If I were looking for a birthday present for a lady-friend, then I would be interested in bikini shots. But not while looking for a CCR. I suppose there is always the danger of AlmityWife glancing over my shoulder, while I was on the PC. In that case, taking her to Victoria's at the mall the day before her birthday would probably be a better idea. :eyebrow:

RonFrank:
Sexist or Sexism is commonly considered to be discrimination and/or hatred against people based on their sex rather than their individual merits. So in your opinion a company that choses to use an attractive diver from one of their training classes who happens to be a Sexy female is a form of Sexism? I disagree.

nope. not just that. sexism can also refer to "behavior, conditions, or attitudes that foster stereotypes of social roles based on sex".

beautiful, and beautifully endowed women attract men's attention all the time. that is not an opinion. that is a fact. now, that may garner positive or negative interest, but an interest nevertheless.

and that is the first moment of truth (brand awareness) companies are aiming for.

The purpose of advertising is to catch the attention of the consumer, and to make them aware that the product exists. I certainly did not know about KISS. Now I do.

exactly. would the rest of the viewers have noticed it if somebody average was sporting it? reality check, no.

rhadamantus:
nope. not just that. sexism can also refer to "behavior, conditions, or attitudes that foster stereotypes of social roles based on sex". .

An assumption of incompetence based on sex.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom