Oily bikini lady in rebreather ad

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thalassamania:
Methinks you lack the guts and honesty to do anything but spew innuendo and then retreat into denial.
The REAL tragedy here, is that you have impugned this lady's diving skills based only on the fact that she is lovely and is wearing a bikini. What does that say to my daughter? My real offense is that I feel compelled to fight such blatant prejudice wherever I see it.

NetDoc:
The REAL tragedy here, is that you have impugned this lady's diving skills based only on the fact that she is lovely and is wearing a bikini. What does that say to my daughter? My real offense is that I feel compelled to fight such blatant prejudice wherever I see it.
I did nothing of the sort. She may be the greatest diver on earth for all I know, that's never been the question. But that is not what she is represented as in the ad. The ad objectifies her as meat on a hook and and that is what I dislike, what the ad says is "see, this gear is so simple that even a dumb broad can it." If you get a different message, that's fine, everyone is entitled to his or her own interpretation In my case, long term, KISS likely cost themselves a few sales, maybe they made more by pandering maybe not ... not my problem, not a company I'd do business with or recommend.

Thalassamania:
what the ad says is "see, this gear is so simple that even a dumb broad can it."
That you don't see this as alarmingly sexist is what stupefies me. Well, I wonder if this says a lot about entrenched anti-feminist attititudes among the world's elite researchers, or just you? Nah! let's not stereotype ALL the researchers by your attitudes.

Possessing breasts does not preclude someone from being intelligent or skillful. Yet somehow you stereotype her as a dumb broad.

Having fun does not preclude someone from diving rebreathers. Yet somehow this seems to infuriate you. Elitism?

Working in academia does not preclude someone from being prejudiced. By your words we can see that this is SO true.

BTW, just as disgusting to me is the perception of the "absent minded professor". All these stereotypes need to be demolished.

Thalassamania:
The ad objectifies her as meat on a hook and and that is what I dislike, what the ad says is "see, this gear is so simple that even a dumb broad can it." If you get a different message, that's fine, everyone is entitled to his or her own interpretation In my case, long term, KISS likely cost themselves a few sales, maybe they made more by pandering maybe not ... not my problem, not a company I'd do business with or recommend.

So any add that features a sexy model instantly results in your wholesale judgment against the product, and a boycott your behalf? I hope you are not driving a car, wearing clothing, or basically purchasing just about anything because MOST products on the market are advertised by sexy models. Good thing you don't need womans underwear!

The irony is that no one seems to even mention the fact that the add is three parts, a sexy MAN, a sexy woman, and then a sexy couple!

Fortunately anyone considering a Rebreather is not going to be foolish enough to ignore a serious option because of one add. IMO the add does exactly as intended, it catches ones attention, and introduces the product. Is the product right for you, well I doubt most will make a decision based on an add, but I suppose some zealots may.

Most however will then do further research, which is what educated consumers do before they make a decision.

NetDoc:
That you don't see this as alarmingly sexist is what stupefies me. Well, I wonder if this says a lot about entrenched anti-feminist attititudes among the world's elite researchers, or just you?

Possessing breasts does not preclude someone from being intelligent or skillful. Yet somehow you stereotype her as a dumb broad.

Having fun does not preclude someone from diving rebreathers. Yet somehow this seems to infuriate you. Elitism?

Working in academia does not preclude someone from being prejudiced. By your words we can see that this is SO true.
Pete, I can only conclude that you're a fool who's just looking for a fight. You imply that I say things that I never said, you imply that I belive things that I don't believe. I really don't know what your problem is, but I'm going to try real hard to ignore you from here on out, fighting with a fool just makes one look foolish themself.:no

There's an old Malagasy proverb: "In a fight with a fool it's a wise man who quits."

I QUIT!

NetDoc:
That you don't see this as alarmingly sexist is what stupefies me. Well, I wonder if this says a lot about entrenched anti-feminist attititudes among the world's elite researchers, or just you? Nah! let's not stereotype ALL the researchers by your attitudes.

BTW, just as disgusting to me is the perception of the "absent minded professor". All these stereotypes need to be demolished.
Oh come on!!!!!!! Are you seriously trying to suggest that the ad-people pick beautiful women with large breasts, or whatever, to appeal to the modern man who doesn't care about any of that???? :rofl3:

Yes - clever and intelligent she may well be, but I'd lay money that's not why she got the job.

Sex sells. That's what's right, and wrong with the ad - it's sexist. Stop trying to turn it around and blame it on someone else.

What frightens me is that a company making something so sophisticated as a rebreather is quite obviously playing to an audience that......how can I phrase this.....dunno......is swayed by such images. (be they feminine breasts OR masculine pecs!)

Of course - boy's toys have traditionally been sold like that - and that's the REAL insult. They obviously aren't aiming for the ladies market with her!

chickdiver:
Please let this thread die a natural death....:catfight: :catfight:

:catfight: :catfight: :catfight:

Back
Top Bottom