Oily bikini lady in rebreather ad

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Now, why would you be worried about ChickDiver's moods and not mine? Yet you find my take of "sexist" as being "fascinating"?

NetDoc:
Now, why would you be worried about ChickDiver's moods and not mine? Yet you find my take of "sexist" as being "fascinating"?

You do not seem moody. It is the perspective that seems fascinating. And I have only seen divers in swimsuits in Florida, so perhaps the ad is designed with Florida divers in mind as a target market. That is the fascinating part. And ad that works in some places but not in others. Yet all are divers.

nereas:
You do not seem moody.
Apparently, the same could not be said about ChickDiver. Would you trust me MORE than the lady in the ad? More than Chickdiver? I surely wouldn't.
nereas:
It is the perspective that seems fascinating. And I have only seen divers in swimsuits in Florida, so perhaps the ad is designed with Florida divers in mind as a target market. That is the fascinating part. And ad that works in some places but not in others. Yet all are divers.
Try the Bahamas, Saba, St Maarten, The Virgin Islands, The Philippines... the list could go on.

There are two stereotypes that this ad attacks: That chicks (in bikinis no less) can't be competent divers much less competent rebreather divers and that somehow rebreathers HAVE to used for only deep and dark dives and that they are contraindicated for shallow tropical or sub-tropical diving.

Kudos to them for taking aim at debunking the myths that are perpetrated upon the public.

Man-o-man, some of you are really critical and think waaaaaayyyyyy too much about ads.

NetDoc:
THAT'S THE PROBLEM!!! YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND REBREATHERS AT ALL! When I think of a rebreather I think of FUN.

Pete's right about one thing. It IS fun!!!! :D :wink:

well, I think about your avatar too much.

...and I'm getting a little paranoid about the no wetsuit thing

catherine96821:
well, I think about your avatar too much.

OOooohhhh, I love it when you talk like that. :wink:

catherine96821:
...and I'm getting a little paranoid about the no wetsuit thing

...says the person who stalks people to get pictures. :eyebrow:

nereas:
As much as I like adding trolls to my mute list, I wonder?
:lol: !!! Now thats the funniest thing I've heard in quite some time .. thanks for the chuckle :D

NetDoc:

There are two stereotypes that this ad attacks: That chicks (in bikinis no less) can't be competent divers much less competent rebreather divers and that somehow rebreathers HAVE to used for only deep and dark dives and that they are contraindicated for shallow tropical or sub-tropical diving.

That at least explains the comment about myopic, specious AND sexist. It was hard to put all that together before now.

The specious and sexist part comes from the other stereotype, the one which I happen to know little about. But since it is one of two stereotypes, then if you believe the ad goes too far, this becomes the indictment. As I said, I worry about the ad coming up on my screen at work when I am on my computer at lunch reading Scubaboard, since you never know in an office what others are going to infer. Even the boss can be sued by anyone for any pretense.

Myopic means someone taught you that CCRs are applicable beyond tank diving ranges. I am surprised to learn that in Florida divers are using CCRs with their swimsuits. I would have never guessed, and in my trips to the Keys I have never seen anyone use a CCR with a swimsuit, or even a CCR at all, although I have seen about 25% of tank divers wear swimsuits in Florida.

Beyond that I know very little about CCRs, you are right. Not interested. They cost a lot, and my tanks work fine down to the depths I use them (250 fsw so far). Also, I dive a lot solo, and I feel more confident in my tanks when solo, which are simple and functional and sufficient, than with a complex unit such as a CCR.

Thanks for the update. I do appreciate the news. I try to stay current on all major scuba issues around the world.

I actually go out of my way not to be specious or sexist, since they are not politically correct, and not nice either. As a travelling scuba diver, you generally learn to try to be nice, since you are always meeting and diving with a lot of new people everywhere. You had me worried for a minute.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom