Oil spill in the Philippines

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We are scheduled to fly from Seattle to eventually reach PG early next week, April 3. Only our second trip to the Philippines, our first in this area. I'm going to admit I'm not clear on the geography, but should we be rethinking our trip?

but should we be rethinking our trip?
Well I'd be thinking twice about going there right now until there is more positive feedback from people on the ground.

@Hcklo any feedback from Anilao?

Verde Island is open and we dove there today. Visibility excellent and temperature good. There've been some cancellations so many rooms available here. Holy Week excepted which is fully booked. This is at El Galleon.

I'm concerned about this image: Satellite captures traces of long oil slick in Verde Island Passage
And I just don't know who to trust, as the government very much comes off like it's much more worried about tourist cancellations than it is about the oil. I could easily see them calling the University, or the space agency, and telling them to knock it off with scaring potential visitors.
Any further thoughts on whether the oil is heading to Puerto Galera?

I'm concerned about this image: Satellite captures traces of long oil slick in Verde Island Passage
And I just don't know who to trust, as the government very much comes off like it's much more worried about tourist cancellations than it is about the oil. I could easily see them calling the University, or the space agency, and telling them to knock it off with scaring potential visitors.
Any further thoughts on whether the oil is heading to Puerto Galera?
My 2 cents of peso:

When we were in PG - 1 week ago - what we were told by the dive shop was: coastal guards found some oil in Verde, but only few patches close to the shore, not big chunks. After finding this they decided to close the diving.

My guts tells me that no one from the authorities wants to have tourist taking pictures of oil in a diving area. This is very bad publicity for the authorities specifically after a month gone since day 1 of spillage.

But this is my 2 cents interpretation, and I could be wrong.

For if to maintain your venue or cancel:

VIP is an area of a lof of currents, the point is that even if the oil reaches the area it could be dragged out quite quick. I believe, quicker than in other places with less current or more bayish topography. Again, my 2 cents I am not an expert at all. The point is that It is not that because the oil reaches that everything will be closed for several months. If the oil can't be see in pictures they will probably re open to maintain the Turism.

It is a gamble call for your Hollidays, for us it worked but we always had in mind the alternative to move from PG and go somewhere else. We didn't had to but it is always good to have a plan B, just in case everything gets locked.

@Hcklo I appreciate your insights, and also that you are honest about what we know and what we don't know.
Our goal here was to see Macro life - nudibranchs - and the only other area I know is around Cebu, which of course is very distant from PG. (This probably tells you how little we know about the Philippines!) Right now I'm inclined to take a chance but if something does happen to PG, what alternatives are there that don't involve a lot of travel?
The PG resort doesn't want to talk about refunds or even the possibility of oil, which of course makes me more worried. I would feel a lot better if they also had a Plan B for their tourists.

@Hcklo I appreciate your insights, and also that you are honest about what we know and what we don't know.
Our goal here was to see Macro life - nudibranchs - and the only other area I know is around Cebu, which of course is very distant from PG. (This probably tells you how little we know about the Philippines!) Right now I'm inclined to take a chance but if something does happen to PG, what alternatives are there that don't involve a lot of travel?
The PG resort doesn't want to talk about refunds or even the possibility of oil, which of course makes me more worried. I would feel a lot better if they also had a Plan B for their tourists.
It is hard to make advices without that much details: how long are you planning to stay, how important is the life outside of the diving (beaches, night parties etc), what is your budget, your level etc.
All of those questions, so the advices are more precise. I am also sure that other people much more familiar with Philippines than myself can provide better advices (hello Centrals X)

Dauin/Apo island is indeed an alternative route. It is a quite long road (but it is ok, is not impossible to arrange or to do and if well planned you can do it in 1 day without loosing too much diving days - last dive at PG at noon, check out next morning, PG - Batangas - NAIA - Dumaguete, check in in dauin the same day at night, dive the next day.

Anilao could also be another option, if PG is closed and Anilao open, it will be much more expensive than Dauin but also closer from the distance point of view.

I want also to add that there is many dive spots in PG, if they close Verde and some spots maybe other ones are still open. When we dived last week we were amazed by the diving, I will make a dive report once I get home next week. For us the customer service was awful, the diving service was bad but the diving on itself was very good.

In PG, try to avoid Sabang If you are not that much into night life / Pattaya style..

We are scheduled to fly from Seattle to eventually reach PG early next week, April 3. Only our second trip to the Philippines, our first in this area. I'm going to admit I'm not clear on the geography, but should we be rethinking our trip?
Sorry to hear your predicament.
My personal opinion ONLY.
Most of the sites in PG are along the open coastal water from East to West. Surface current can be very strong so HOPEFULLY it will swiftly carry the oil further west and causing less damages to the environment. But.......anything is possible.
The "drop off" at Verde Island is actually a pinnacle with a few rocks sticking out on the surface. Therefore the target for the "oil" is pretty small and the current is STRONG most of the time.
"Washing machine" is along the coast.

Easter(07th Apr) is just around the corner so many places are fully booked in the country. Flight is also in high demand.
Refund? It is always the touchy subject for any operator especially for something yet to happen.
Alternative area nearby? Subic Bay but you will be hard pushed to find many nudi there.
Anilao/PG is indeed the place.
Sogod Bay is nice but so far away.

Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom